Clash of the Titans--or, What have I gotten myself into!?

Crrrystal

Post   » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:17 am

We last left our heroine drooling over some pretty girls, with a huge headache from trying to find a suitable match for Grandpa Daddy.

So I saw this:
and I emailed almost instantly.

Calico and Cocoa, one-and-a-half, bonded females. They were perfect! I loved them as soon as I saw them.

Wait--female?! That was NOT part of the deal. Through some miracle, though, I was able to make room for their 2x4, with the boys stacked on top. (Part of their adoption fee was a 2x4 C&C with a loft, cage blankets, hideys, water bottles, food dish, litter pan with liners, lap blankets, and cuddle sacks. They were much loved by their former family, it seems.)

So I brought them home, and many pictures were taken.

This happened minutes after their first supper at New House. Cali, formerly Calico, was just pooped from all the sniffing and pooping and eating.

This also happened. Right from my hand! This one is Coco, formerly Cocoa.

Couple days later was lap time. Or, really, chest time, since I was laying down.

I enlisted some help to get a shot of Coco's butt-hawk, but it didn't work very well.

Cali scooted around to look at Guinea Lynx with me.

This was *supposed* to be a pretty posey mouth shot. Didn't work.

ETA: I also ordered my very first hay from KMs, which arrived the day after I got the girls. Sadly, I had not ordered pellets since I was not really expecting to add adults to my mix. I got 9 lbs of bluegrass, which looked lush and tasty. I ended up giving half of it (plus a huge bag of wood chips and the little bit of Carefresh I had left) to the rescue. The hay is gone now, but I will be ordering again... I was thinking about getting 40 lbs. Too much? Probably. It's SO much cheaper than getting Oxbow at the store!

Crrrystal

Post   » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:27 am

Mini-post because I just found this picture.

Coco decided that the new hay is the PERFECT PLACE to hide from eagles, nap, and eat. I think she stayed in there for a couple hours after I filled the hay box.

I've noticed that I enjoy photographing the girls a LOT more than the boys.

Also, funny mini-story. After I added the girls to the housing unit (boys in the penthouse, girls in the dungeon), the boys were confused, but didn't seem to notice that the girls were there. Until they started with their wheek-chorus. For the first week, the boys did a terrified scramble whenever a downstairs neighbor said anything, moved anything, drank from a bottle, or made ANY noise at all. I was worried that they'd try to break out and get at the girls, but that didn't happen.

TexCavy

Post   » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:10 pm

Such adorable babies. And I'm enjoying reading of how it all came to be.

Sidera17

Post   » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:59 pm

So cute! I love the butt-hawks.

Crrrystal

Post   » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:46 pm

Tex--Glad somebody enjoys it!

Sidera--I think you may have mentioned it on my intro thread way back when. I still haven't gotten a good butt-hawk picture. So elusive!

Around the beginning of December, The BFF called to ask if I could take care of her kiddos while her family went East for the holidays. I told her to ask her cousin first, but that I would be more than willing to if that's how it had to work out. A couple days later, she called again.
"So... you still willing to pigsit?"
"Sure! I take it Bridgette said no?"
"Weeeeelll, I kind of never asked her. I trust you more. You're always on that forum. And plus, then you can make them a cage [a C&C] because we're not handy enough."

And that's how it happened. Hester, Bacon, and Brady were set to arrive on December 22 and stay at Casa du'Crystal and stay for about 10 days. I was excited, but very nervous. I was just adjusting to caring for 4 pigs and 7 seemed like a lot of work.

So, in the calm-before-the-storm time, I decided the best thing to do would be take holiday pictures. It was... quite an undertaking.

Interested in everything BUT posing.

"Can we eet that yet, mom?"

The boys were TOTALLY scared for some reason. Maybe it was the tumbling fleece backdrop.

... and they stayed that way until I moved them physically. It would have been perfect if they were sitting pretty at the start.

One moar. This is hanging above my desk at work.

Overall, it was a success and they all got extra munchies for being good little boys and girls.

Crrrystal

Post   » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:04 pm

The temporary kids were dropped off on 12-22.

Not many pictures were taken while they were here because, well, 7 pigs IS a lot of work (though not a whole lot more than 4, really) and I didn't get a whole lot of pose-y time. They were also, obviously, scared and spent a lot of time in their houses.

BUT!
Brady. Lover. I didn't like him until I picked him up for the first time and he snuggled right into me like it was meant to be. I tried to keep him, but was not allowed.

Hester Ann is a pushy butthole! She wasn't overly mean to Bacon, but she certainly did not like Fake Mom at all. I did have her out for cuddle time. She jumped onto my shoulder and started headbutting me almost immediately.

There is no picture of little Bacon, who seemed to want to be friends with everyone.

I also decided that since the boys didn't seem as freaked out by hearing the girls, it might be okay for them to see each other. Just to have them associate each other's sounds and maybe have some friendly chatter.

The chosen location was my lap, where hands could easily whisk them away. (I also had help.) I intended to watch them like a hawk (er, eagle) and stop at the very first sign of rumbling or Imma-hump-you.

Not the brightest idea I've had, but it didn't go too horribly. Apollo and Cali were the first pair. Cali decided to be a pushy lovebug and squished Apollo trying to cuddle. He was scared for the first few minutes, then realized that he was in the presence of a very sexeh lady and thought it best to demonstrate that he is the Boarliest Boar Evar. That's when he was put away.

Coco and Zeus went better. Zeus didn't realize Coco is all woman until it was too late and he was back in with his brother. Nonstop rumbling, butt-puffing, attempted humps, and little spats were had that night.

AND THEY NEVER STOPPED!
I feel like I accidentally thrust my boys into adolescence. The last couple weeks have been fighting over the best spot to see the girls. Larger cage was in order, but would have to wait. I readied the quarantine cage in case there was any serious injury and got maybe 4 hours of sleep a night for several nights--due to my own freakout-ish concern and the noise. (They have a larger cage now which will be featured in another post.)

My advice to new pig owners: do not mix boys and girls, even for a few minutes, even if you're holding both of them. I had no accidental pregnancies, but it was DEFINITELY a major headache.

Crrrystal

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:41 pm

I've decided that Friday will be Update Day, since I have a lot of time and not much to occupy that time. I'm sure everyone was waiting on the edge of their seats for another update, right? Haha!

So, after the rumble-butting fiasco that never ended, I decided it was time to expand. I knew the day was coming... it was just a matter of deciding what I wanted to lose to make room for more cage space. I decided the best thing to do is just have stacked 2x4's, which meant losing the supplies storage space. I suppose that's better than losing my bed or bookcase though, right?

Another thing I wanted to try is a half-height loft, so I decided to work that into my design. All went well and there have been no major mishaps with the cage design thus far. I did run out of zip ties. I do still have almost a whole package of grids. I never want to cut coroplast again.

I was hoping to find a picture of the old setup for comparison, but I neglected to take one. So, I'll describe the various stages!

Cage 1: just the boys
-two grid heights of storage area with living space on the third story
-dimensions: 2x2 with a 1x1 extension. Yes, much too small, but it's what I was able to do at the time and it was still a little more than double the pet store cage size. They had a lot of floor time.
-I liked this cage. A lot.

Cage 2: girlyboars join the family
-level 1: 2x4 living area for the girlies with a 2x1 storage space
-level 2: boys. Same dimensions. Three grids hung over the girls cage. Covered unless I was accessing them.
-This was ok, but obviously not great for the guys.

Cage 3: Equality for All
-Level 1: 2x4 with a 2x1 half-height loft.
-Level 2: empty space and supports. I didn't want to have them stacked right on top of each other because I don't have the space to slide out the corofloor for cleaning every day.
-Level 3: Another 2x4 with loft.

Here is a picture:
Note that the bottom was un-fleeced at that point. I realized *after* building that I didn't have the fleece capacity to cover it, so I had to wash the girls' extra bedspread. I plan to order some more bedspreads soon, but I'm being thwarted by Mom's New Interest in my kiddos. She volunteered to science together some spreads for me, since they're pretty expensive to buy. I'm a little obsessive about having matched sets of things, though, so I don't know if I'll take her up on that offer or go behind the back and purchase them. We will see. For now, there will be LOTS of floor time while bedding is washed.

Also note the Christmas lights. I like seeing my guinea pigs, but the stacked cages don't allow enough light in to suit my tastes, so I added lights. So far, they've been left alone and are only on when I'm present. I should also note that I'm the type that leaves lights up all year 'round because I like the pretties. I started that in college and got a lot of weird looks, but everybody liked hanging out in my room because of the mood lighting. (This was before I finished adding all of the water bottles and other things.

This happened. I think the loft/ultra-large and accessible hidey is a win. Sorry for the blurriness. I also added a fleece forest (not pictured), and the girls LOVE it. The boykids are still confused and not sure how to use it, but they've grown accustomed to the loft.

It's amazing how messy the boys are with their hay and food. I have tried EVERYTHING to contain their hay, but nothing works after the initial confusion wears off. I've learned to just deal with extra cleaning and fleece-shaking.

This was 3 minutes after sweeping and supper. THREE MINUTES! (The little bits of hay were leftovers from the previous day's sweeping. The veggie chunks were new. They'll grab something from the bowl, take a few nibbles, and then throw it.)

And then this happened last night.
My sweet boys were acting sweet again. For a few minutes. I think they were interested in the hay I swept into the sweeping bowl.

Cali has also been very sweet lately, but I failed to get a picture. For the last few days, she finds a comfy spot and sits there, waiting for me to look up at her. Then she does a popcorn and perches her front feet on the grids and waits patiently for a chin scritch. THIS is the kind of thing I was hoping would happen eventually.

I'll probably be doing a Valentine's pig-ture party next weekend. I'm excited! My pictures don't turn out very good, but it's fun finding the props and setting everything up.

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:55 pm

My boys are super messy too. I made some hay holders out of fabric and that has helped with the hay mess but still. Compared to my other cage with a neutered boar and female their cages are always sooo messy.

Love the photos and stories. The cage looks great BTW.

Crrrystal

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:54 pm

eschimpf: Fabric hay holders? Can you elaborate on that, please?

I noticed some minor healing wounds on Apoppo tonight during laptime. I'll try to get pics for advice, but they're very small and look to be old-ish and healing well. Maybe before the cage expansion? I'm a horrible mama; should have noticed them earlier.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:59 pm

You should check out the Guinea Pig Related Products section in the main menu. There's lots of great things.

Crrrystal

Post   » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:23 am

Ah! I've wandered around in that place before and I've tried not to go back. After all, I do need to have *some* money to live on. Guess this is why I miss out on all the cool stuff.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:03 am

Well, WS has a great fabric hay rack - just saying ; )