Inguinal Hernia -- prognosis/complications

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:42 am

Tal: Aww that's so sweet! 'm really happy to be able to help. I don't check GL very often but if you guys ever need some input, you can always email me.

Coincidently, I am taking my senior surgery course right now in the OC! And I actually just saw a GI resection today!

Holly: they should just reopen the incision, make sure the GI doesn't look bad and close up the hole with absorbable suture, like they would during the neuter.

katk925
Do the Dewlap in '05

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:50 am

OMG that sounds soooo horrible. Thinking prayer for this baby. I'm so glad Dr. R is fixing it though. He is the best. I hope the little guy is alright.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:51 am

Chunkypiggies - was the resection on a guinea pig?

THEY ARE MAKING YOU PAY FOR THE SURGERY? Are you kidding me? I would raise holy hell about this - it is the vet's fault!!!

That inguinal ring has to be sutured properly or this happens. This reminds me of the old days back in the 90's when they didn't routinely close it off and we had inguinal hernias and deaths left and right.

They should have hauled that vet's as_s back in to repair it right away. The longer he waits, the more chance for necrosis. GRR.. this pisses me off because this should not happen.

You should NOT have to pay for this, and if you do, you need to talk to the office manager right away. If they refuse to repair it for free, then it is time for you to only recommend specific vets on your website and make it clear that these are the ONLY vets who people should see.

I'm mad! I hated it so much when we had pigs die from those neuters back in the day. We have 2 veterinary protocols for neuters on http://www.cavyspirit.com that were written by my vet and I believe Dr. Nakamura? They are tried and true.

I'M MAD! This pig better not die!

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:22 am

He is running a fever. We are waiting for the vet to get in.

Judi, we took him to out vet. We don't trust the vet who did the surgery.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:09 pm

I spoke with the Dr. R. He said the fever is 104 and could be from pain or infection. But Simon is alert and the vet feels he is strong enough for the anesthesia. They are doing the surgery within the hour.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:29 pm

Fingers crossed!

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:52 pm

Good luck to Simon. Based on my (single) experience with a similar problem, combating post-surgery infection is very important.

DMac
Supporter in '10, '11, & '12

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:00 pm

Sending hope vibes for Simon!

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:13 pm

A few years back one of our rescues had that happen and we had to take him to the ER. Too much of the GI was compromised already and they weren't able to do surgery.

When I went back and told the clinic who did the surgery, I found out that the regular vet was ill and a substitute had performed the surgery. (This wasn't our regular clinic)

Good luck to your Simon! That's good news that they feel he is strong enough to go for it.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:53 pm

He made it through surgery. Dr. R could not find any herniation. He said the scrotum was full of pus. He cleaned it out well, inserted a drain, and very happy foster will be taking him home soon!

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:16 pm

Yay! I wish him a speedy and uneventful recovery!

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:20 pm

YAY!!! That's so awesome. :) Without seeing the pig, I didn't want to say too much but if a hernia had occurred and it was obstructed/strangulated, a shot of buprenex wouldn't have subsided the pain. He would have had signs of shock. Think GDV in dogs or nephrosplenic entrapment in horses. It's the same concept as a GI torsion and you'd see similar things.

Even though he was painful last night, based on what you described, it didn't seem like dire situation. But that could have easily changed.

Anyways, enough rambling. I'm so glad it was just an abscess! Poor guy. And poor foster!!