Inguinal Hernia -- prognosis/complications

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:20 pm

Glad he made it! Hope he has a speedy recovery.

That same thing happened to our dog Maxwell ( the one you met at the park) after his neuter. I was going to mention it last night, but thought your vet was sure about herniation. Maxwell's scrotum kept refilling with pus so the drain is a good idea.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:49 pm

We are so relieved and the foster is extremely happy, since I told her this morning to go down there in case she needed to say goodbye.

CP, I can't tell you how indebted we are to your advice so that we could evaluate the situation.

BamBam

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:11 pm

My money was on a pca.

Hoping for a full recovery. .x

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:53 pm

"Dr. R could not find any herniation. He said the scrotum was full of pus."

WOO!! :-)

Never ever ever ever would I ever have thought I would be HAPPY to read about a scrotum full of pus!

Very best to Simon.

I just wanna add here (without sounding like an off-the-wall fangirl) how much I second Charybdis' comments about CP's value in evaluation. Had our Julia been properly evaluated ... had we had the knowledge, time, whatever to make sure of what was wrong with her ... she might very well still be with us. The more serious the problem and the shorter the time, the more critical proper, knowledgeable, competent and intelligent evaluation, including ALL possibilities, is.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:08 pm

Hoping for a good recovery!!

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:44 pm

He still has a fever...does anything reduce fever in guinea pigs?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:02 am

Well, this is gonna be somewhat controversial because there's only one reference out there for it ... which one of my vets found for us about ten years ago.

Infant's Tylenol, compounded (you can use baby fruit juice) to 1 mg/mL. Use 1 mg/kg of pig, and I *think* it was q24h but my reference stuff is not in front of me.

The Gerber baby fruit juice bottles have something like 117 mL in them. The standard dropper in the infant's Tylenol holds 80 mg of drug. So I would syringe out the extra in the fruit juice bottle, leave 80 mL in there and put 80 mg's worth of infant's Tylenol suspension in the bottle. Shake well. It mixes very well. Our pig liked grape Tylenol with baby pear juice. (Ugh. To each their own.)

We gave him this daily for ... over four years? I can't remember exactly but it was a LONG time with no evident side effect. We never did bloodwork for liver function but it never seemed necessary, either. He had a condition called "acquired megacolon" (much like megacolon in rats), and was given this for pain and inflammation. Long-term it worked beautifully, and while Tylenol does absolutely nothing for me if I have a headache, it's the only thing that helps me (OTC, anyway) for a fever.

Toward the end of our pig's life I know we gave him more than 1 mg/kg (up to 5 mg, he weighed about a kilo) IIRC with no evident ill effect. The one reference out there mentions something like **100 to 300** (!!!) mg/kg but our vet felt that was a postsurgical dose.

FWIW and if he's not on any other NSAID of course.

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:14 am

Talishan, thank you! That's useful, I didn't know you could give them Tylenol. He is still at the vet but the exotics vet has gone home. They are icing him. I hope they know what they are doing.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:20 am

It's not as hazardous as it is for cats, of course, but it's not real commonly used in guinea pigs. Again, there's only the one reference out there for it, and the one vet that found it for us at the time is the only one to have recommended it for me. I mention it primarily because of the very positive experience we had with it (and the reference was a solid one, a vet school hospital or at that level IIRC).

Then again, this was IIRC before Metacam came out. Not sure on the dates but Metacam use, at least offlabel, was still pretty fresh.

"They are icing him."

'Scuse me WTF? Dog or person maybe, but a guinea pig or a rabbit??? Is there an exotics vet on call if needed there after hours?

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:41 am

They are supposedly communicating with Dr. R. My vet (Dr. Cote) iced Deputy Doofy when he had a high fever. But ya, it worries me too.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:44 am

Totally late to the party (We actually did a RNA today --resection and anastamosis at work! Well, I did the anesthesia and nursing).

BUT, I am a tad confused... did think that abscess was likely... but you say "inguinal hernia from an abdominal neuter?" Totally contradicts itself. Now, inguinal hernia from a scrotal neuter is altogether not uncommon. But one of the main reasons to DO abdominal or pre-scrotal neuters is to AVOID such herniation. How the heck can that be accused as the culprit with an abdominal neuter? Just trying to figure out the anatomy here...

Totally not in the Tylenol camp at ALL. Metacam will work and among the OTC meds, I prefer Ibuprofen, actually. There are doses somewhere on here. One of the big exotics gurus over here had me use it a few years back to my dismay. Tylenol is just so toxic in many ways to all animals. I avoid it in humans, too. But, it won't kill them as easily as cats, as Talishan pointed out.

And Bam Bam, what the HECK is a PCA? Is it like post-surgical abscess? Post castration abscess? We have no such abbreviation here.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:46 am

And yes, the icing is a tad concerning to me, too. Hope they are monitoring VERY closely!