Inguinal Hernia -- prognosis/complications

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:21 am

My guess is that, the newest vet who was on duty, may not have been aware of the different neuter technique? Because she told the foster that the intestines had spilled into the scrotum, she had tried to push them back up with no success.

The concern now is that he may have a systemic infection (this is from Dr. R, the exotics vet). Apparently they have been using the icing technique since this afternoon, and got his temp down to 104. It is now back up to 105. Dr. R is concerned that the pus was so liquid and there was so much of it. I am not sure if this is significant.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:28 am

Ugh, if there is peritonitis, that is an issue. Very bad. Like may not recover bad. I'd give antibiotics a chance, though. I hope he's on something like Baytril and Metronidazole to get broad spectrum coverage. Also not sure the pus texture issue is significant. Hmmmm, if that is true, doesn't sound like the clueless vet helped anything by massaging the scrotum and trying to push the pus more into the abdomen! :(

Hmmmmm... OK, so the vet has no clue... I mean aren't the incisions obvious? I'm assuming there are two incisions in the abdomen?!
Last edited by Josephine on Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:28 am

And Metacam? Hopefully, the emergency vet is trying that?

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:27 am

Yes on the Metacam, Baytril, Buprenex. And the incision is in the abdomen. Maybe the night vet misused the term inguinal and they thought it was some other kind of hernia? Because when I spoke with Dr. R on the phone this morning (after exam) we discussed the possibility of necrotic bowel and he went in there looking for a surgical mistake.

They stopped icing him a couple hours ago, and the fever has gone down on its own to 100.

ETA: My Acorn had a hernia after his abdominal neuter. The vet felt the incision area after the surgery and she said it didn't feel right, like something was collapsing in there. So she kept him overnight, opened him back up in the morning, and re-sutured everything to strengthen it. Most exotics vet I know do not do abdominal neuters and it really surprised me that this other vet did one.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:36 am

"They stopped icing him a couple hours ago, and the fever has gone down on its own to 100."

Cautious woo. I'll sleep better tonight.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:29 pm

No, from what you describe, inguinal is inguinal. So the swelling in the scrotal area would be an inguinal hernia. My issue is that the inguinal region is NOT sutured shut after an abdominal neuter. It doesn't need to be. However, with a scrotal neuter, if they don't, it's pretty dangerous.

Not sure if all of the literature and CE stuff is encouraging the abdominal neuters or what. I still think they are pretty uncommon, but I do believe it is the much safer route to go. Just a tad unnerved about the infection.

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:13 pm

His temp was back up to 102 today so they decided not to release him just yet.

I find the massive infection odd too. This foster is very diligent about checking the incision site and changing the bedding twice daily. The vet did not give her antibiotics so she used 7 days of Baytril that she had on hand, then ran out. It was two days later that the swelling showed up.

This is a young, healthy boar born in our rescue. He should have been able to sail through this given the excellent care he was getting.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:38 pm

I wish I knew both sides of it, yanno? I mean, why are cavies so susceptible to post surgical abscesses? I've had tons sail through without incident, but one neuter and it went horribly bad.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:48 pm

I'm hoping the best for the little one.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:23 pm

Ah, I didn't know you didn't need to suture the inguinal ring after the abdominal neuter. I've never seen one, so I don't know the technique, but one of the local exotic vets does do it that way. He does it to reduce chance of infection. My vet does scrotal neuters and I can't remember the last time a guinea pig had an infection. OTOH, we have had a number of guinea pigs have problems after their abdominal neuters, mostly from suture reactions or abscesses. I don't get it. It is so much more invasive.

I hope this little guy gets better soon.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:33 pm

Wondering if most of the post surgical issues AREN'T stemming from suture reactions, actually.

Well, there is not a huge issue of prolapse and death after the abdominal neuters. I think that issue has been hashed and rehashed enough, though.

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:43 pm

Fever is down and they are releasing him with two drains in the scrotum.