Inguinal Hernia -- prognosis/complications

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:46 am

Oh, dear. I think at this point, we need to pray for him to recover. Poor guy! I just don't like to hear that a non-exotics vet is doing the surgery, Chary.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:08 am

He made it through the second surgery and the vet removed a lot of necrotic tissue. He inserted another drain. This morning, Simon ripped out his stitches again and had to be re-sutured. I told the foster it is time for the e-collar. Anyone have any homemade recipes?

ETA: he is only on 0.2 of Torb every 12 hours (of the Torb on Val syrup mix, I think it is usually 10 mg/ml). Maybe raise the Torb dose?

Amy265

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:13 am

Yay!
I hold my breath everytime I see you post, hoping for the best. Prayers for Simon happening here in Holland. Come on sweet boy get better!

DMac
Supporter in '10, '11, & '12

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:33 am

Poor guy. LittlePig posted this about a successful collar last month:

viewtopic.php?p=1972084#1972084

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:54 am

Ugh. What a mess!

Yeah, I think I saw on FB that he added metronidazole to the Baytril (I was in that camp to begin with, think I mentioned it). Glad for that.

UGH, no preanesthetics? Gosh, that poor pig is gonna be in pain. The nice thing about using preanesthetics is that they actually make induction much safer and maintenance much smoother. And they wake up more slowly, YES, but much, MUCH less painful. And apt to rip out sutures.

The necrotic tissue could certainly explain the smell. And he certainly won't heal well with that in there.

Not really comfy packing an abdomen with honey, but I would certainly consider packing some Baytril or metronidazole in there... antibiotic beads may not stay... saline lavage is probably risky at this point.

All I can say is WTH! So glad you are getting the necrotic tissue out of there. Is there any way you can do an abdominal wrap to protect the incison so it can heal unmolested?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:55 am

Oh, and re: an e-collar, if you do a search here, there should be pics, I think. I made mine out of interfacing. With all the surgeries I have gone through, the only time I used it was for an eye surgery.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:56 am

UGH, VAL syrup. I HATE that stuff for cavies!!!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:57 am

Honestly, although this might be too difficult given the vets you are dealing with, oral torb *maybe* lasts 4 hours. 6 at most in a cavy. So, he needs that more often.

And buprenorphine lasts much longer and I think works better.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:02 pm

I meant no Ketamine, etc. I did ask for a pain injection.

Thanks for your input, we will raise the Torb. Would 0.2 every 6 hours be safe? He is about 900 grams.

What is interfacing?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:13 pm

Interfacing is material that is used to line some clothing. Shirt collars? is the most common thing I can think of. My mom sews, so had tons on hand. There is iron-in stuff, but you want the stiff, sew-in kind (and the heavy kind), since the iron-in stuff is impregnated with glue. It does come in many different weights/thicknesses. I like the stuff that really holds its shape. I'm sure any fabric store would have it (and it's CHEAP). The reason I liked it was that it was inexpensive, and pretty stiff without being plastic. If the pig tries to run up against something, it gives some (instead of jabbing the pig back and whatever the pig ran into).

Your experiences may be different, but I think the sow I plopped back into her cage with her mom and sister and she recovered without incident and no one chewed the e-collar off. I just fit it super snugly and punched two holes in it to tie it to itself with some yarn. I never tied anything around the pig's neck to hold it on. The collar being snug kept it on. I was afraid of slippage and choking the poor pig. I really hate e-collars for pigs, but I couldn't figure out any other way to keep her from scratching her eye.

The closest thing I can compare it to in vet med is the soft kitty e-collars?

Will have to double check the torb dose. It is the 10 mg/ml concentration, right? Not the 2 mg/ml?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:21 pm

Akk, sure Carpenter's is showing two doses for cavies.

2 mg/kg q2-4h SQ
(obviously what I am thinking of torb as pain relief for pigs is correct. It doesn't work well).

And 0.4-2 mg/kg SQ q4-12.

No oral doses (lots of studies are showing that it is not as effective, if at all, when given orally). I would certainly dose about the 2 mg/kg range every 4 hours at minimum. So, 0.2 ml of the 10 mg/ml would be right.

UGH, just forgot you got Torb/Val crap. What is that concentration?

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:21 pm

Yes, 10 mg/ml..think I have given 0.2 every 6-8 hours following spay or stone surgery but I cant remember.