Inguinal Hernia -- prognosis/complications

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:22 pm

So, that is about the right volume, then.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:31 pm

What's Val?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:14 pm

VAL syrup (or V.A.L.) It's some vitamin tonic crap that vets use. Here are the ingredients: Cane sugar; glycerin; lactalbumin hydrolysate; liver fraction; ethyl alcohol; sodium benzoate; niacinamide; calcium pantothenate; thiamine hydrochloride; vanillin; riboflavin, NF; pyridoxine hydrochloride; ethyl vanillin; purified water, USP (q.s.).

Fort Dodge makes/made it. Not sure it's still on the market? I think they discontinued it. Anyhow, there are tons of generics, and most of the vets use those since they're cheaper. Pretty much formulated for dogs and cats, though I wouldn't give it to my pets. It's most certainly not vegetarian.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:55 pm

It looks like the crap they put in everything OTC at the drug store, with the possible exception of 'liver fraction'. Whatever THAT is.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:16 pm

Simon went back to LBAH this morning to get checked. Dr. R was not there but Dr. P was and he said the surgical site looked good and the ER vet trained with Dr. R and is a good vet. They ok'd giving him smaller, more frequent doses of Torb. And fitted him for an e-collar.

The foster had not slept in 36 hours so I took a train up to watch Simon for the day. The collar seems to fit ok and he is not fighting it. He looks ok but exhausted. His breathing rate looks normal and he is falling asleep so I guess I shouldn't be worrying that the collar is too tight? Here is a pic, hope you can see it:

DMac
Supporter in '10, '11, & '12

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:18 pm

Aw, poor little guy. Hoping he feels better soon!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:32 pm

Poor little guy indeed! He's been through so much! I sure hope he recovers!

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:45 pm

Yes, poor boy, but what a trooper (that goes for his people, too).

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:12 pm

My heart is going thumpity-thump. What a precious boy, and he has been through an incredible time of it.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:31 pm

If his head swells, the collar is too tight.

:)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:03 am

What a beautiful little pig. Kudos to *everyone* trying so hard to help him.

V.A.L. syrup has a lot of B-complex vitamins in it, and we used to use it on occasion a long time ago for that. If the pig needed a B boost, it helped but the "cost" was very high. The liver fraction is either actual liver or liver flavoring, put in to make it palatable to dogs. The smell will knock you down and send every cavy in your home running to the back end of the house.

Far better for B:

http://www.vitasprings.com/baby-b-s-inf ... ource.html

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:13 am

He was doing well when I left. He ate a fair amount, drank water and made a few skinny poos. The area looks pretty swollen and now crooked because of all the tissue removed. Really hoping the ABs take care of it, I don't understand why the necrosis occurred.

BTW, the ER vet who treated him was Dr. Bayon at Orange County Emergency Pet Clinic in Garden Grove. So, yay! A VET IN OC who can operate on guinea pigs!

http://www.er4yourpet.com/