Boars Behaving Badly II

Danya2

Post   » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:52 pm

Thanks Sidera. Mine are beginning (ugh) adolesence. It's not as bad as some of the others pigs (hopefully won't be, we'll see) but there are times that one is very nervous & I don't want him to have to live like that. So I will just watch for now.

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:04 pm

Piggywig, I saw that a few months back and it still makes me giggle. Reko has never been so robust, this is lately.

Sidera17

Post   » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:14 pm

eschimpf- Some boars never outgrow it. ;_; Mine are 3 and 4 years old. And they have only mellowed slightly.

If Reko is humping more than normal, you might want to keep an eye on Mojo. Sometimes one pig can sense the other one isn't feeling well, and takes it as a cue for a free-for-all hump fest.

Danya- The best cure for boarliness is space. If they are getting too out of hand, try expanding the cage. Sometimes this works.

TexCavy

Post   » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:30 pm

I love all the humorous bad boar stories.
And HEY everyone,
The Mikly Piclies are up in the chronicles. I'm posting here about it because he misbehaved a lot and only got three good pics for y'all.

Link to the Mikly pics: viewtopic.php?p=1983381#1983381

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:10 pm

Sidera,
Nope Mojo is all healthy. He'll "let him have it" when he has enough, but most of the time he lays there with this "Sheesh Kids these days" look on his face.

JaneDoe

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:56 am

Which is funnier, boars acting boarly or sows not caring?

jadebeloved

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:58 pm

Oh how I missed GL!!

JaneDoe: I don't think my girls have ever not cared ;)

Dash has become EXTREMELY mellow, even surrounded by all of his womens. They hump each other far more than he would ever dare try.

violagirl3

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:06 pm

Neo is turning three this month, and he is still a humping, spraying, butt dragging fool. Every time we go for a week without spraying, my bf will make some kind of comment about Neo's hormones calming down finally. Neo always makes up for it the next week. Sigh.

Sidera17

Post   » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:52 pm

So, today's pre-Patriots tailgate consisted of Spike and Chex trying to "sort things out" on the sectional sofa.

Chex humped Spike in the face, and hung on through the headbutts like he was on a mechanical bull.

Then Spike started ANGRY popcorns. And Chex followed. So I had two pigs ANGRY POPCORNING on my couch. They both have long hair, so as they popcorned, their hair fell across the other, and they just got pissed off more, hence more popcorning.

The towel and robe on the couch were so soaked with... gunk that we had to throw them in the washing machine. And my dad found a poop flung on the floor.

coastgirl

Post   » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:12 am

So it is becoming evident that our Chewy is a food-bully. He was the "top pig" before we took them (only 10 days ago--seems like longer!), and it seems like Hurley has decided he's not going to take it anymore, so Hurley gives as good as he gets. Except when it's about food.

Is two of everything with separation during feeding my best option?

They have two pellet bowls, and when we feed fresh we give them each a share in their "area", or feed while one is in a lap and the other in the cage, so that's ok. (Though Chewy will try to gobble his and "clean up" anything Hurley still has, if he gets the chance.) I have one hay rack in the kitchen, which I thought they were sharing ok. Last night I made a point of spreading out a lot of hay in the kitchen to make sure Hurley could get at it, and Chewy parks his big bum sideways to make it hard for him. So I put some hay in a bowl right in Hurley's house. Chewy left the kitchen to go eat out of his brother's bowl. (He is earning himself the nickname "Dudley", Harry Potter's fat, greedy cousin.) I had had enough so I put the barrier in the cage for the night. Chewy stands at the barrier pining, while Hurley sits happily in his house, where he can't see Chewy, and eats his hay.

Hurley weighs a lot less, about 250g (850g vs 1100 g), but he seems naturally slighter, and I doubt he'll ever be as big as Chewy. I guess I was lulled by the lack of humping and flying fur (of which there was some the first few days). Hurley will stand up to Chewy most of the time, but just seems to sigh and say "whatev, bro" when it's food. I hate to separate them permanently, as they are good company for each other, but I want Hurley to get his share too. Maybe the kitchen moves to his end so that if I put the divider up over night I know he can get his share of hay then? Or maybe I just build another kitchen/hay rack? Chewy can't be in two places at once. He's actually pretty neurotic about it--even when he has plenty, he will leave his and go take over whatever Hurley is at.

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:45 am

I can't believe I went more than three years without a boar.

Japonica26

Post   » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:59 am

"I can't believe I went more than three years without a boar."

Jane, and miss all this great stuff??? :)

Coastgirl, I don't have any advice, just wanted to say we have something similar starting here, but even then it seems to defy logic. I noticed Pumpkin (our newest and rescue pig) starting to do the dominance thing at feeding times...for the past 3.5 weeks now the two boars had gotten along just fine...so I figured, okay, I'll really split the feeding areas up and I put one veggie bowl on one side of the cage and the other one on the opposite end. Pumpkin was noshing, Timbit was hiding (having been relegated there by Pumpkin's actions) and eventually went over and started eating at the far veggie bowl. I figured, one pig at each end, both eating, all is well with the world.

I come back ten minutes later and both are sharing a single veggie bowl...like nothing had happened earlier. Ugh. Whatever piggos. :)