Inguinal Hernia -- prognosis/complications

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:20 am

I have had vets prescribe it for various things (injuries, lymphoma, post op inflammation) and haven't had any issues until now with Marvin. I read that one of the side effects is GI upset. But I can't say whether or not it improved the pigs or stabilized them, those are the bad off ones.

Simon is still gassy. Reglan is out, it causes him to hunch and strain. He is on Metacam. I told the foster to ask the vet about Cisapride instead of Reglan. Maybe not so harsh?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:33 am

In my experience it's harsher. He will hunch and strain worse on Cisapride than on Reglan (or lactulose).

CAVEAT: My experience only!!! See what the vet says. It may help him and I would NOT want to recommend against it without at least asking the vet.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:35 am

Good to know, thank you. If there are no poops I usually give those two together. But this pig is pooping.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:10 am

For GI problems, pred is safer than an NSAID, by far. NSAIDs are GI irritants and can cause GI perforations (esp if given with pred). If you switch between the two, allow a few days in between for the body to clear out. Pred is commonly used in cats/dogs for IBD or GI lymphoma (cats).

The penis problem, is it stuck out from humping/swelling? You can always try soaking in sugar water and see if it'll go back in itself.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:17 am

Reglan increases upper GI motility... def be very careful if you are suspecting a GI obstruction, even partial ones.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:31 am

Sugar water....we will try it! But I think it is hanging out because of the repeated surgeries to remove necrotic tissue. The skin had to be pulled tight and now things don't line up right. I haven't seen him (he is in Fullerton) but the foster says "his penis is next to his a*hole." He hasn't been with another pig so no humping.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:44 am

Yes, the Cerenia for pain is a newer study that was recently released (within the past year). Not all vets see all the latest stuff.

The practice where I work has been using it in conjunction with our spay/neuter/other surgery protocols (which include premed with dexdomitor/torb, induction with either iso or Ket/Val (diazepam), maintenance with iso, Metacam injection post op, and buprenorphine or hydromorphone (or morphine) post-op. The patients that get Cerenia are even more comfy. I am super pleased with the results.

And yes, if you refrigerate the injectable, it stings (a tad) less SQ. If we have to give it SQ, we make sure to give it in a fluid bubble. But, on most patients, if at all possible, we give it IV. It doesn't sting as much that way. And it is a miracle drug to me. Really improves our surgical recoveries. But, I have not had the chance to use it on exotics.

So, CP, based on your experience, would you use pred just for any GI discomfort? In my experience, vets are totally bomb-shy nowadays with pred. The only instances where I see it used are likely where you mentioned and to stabilize Addisonians.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:32 pm

No not any GI discomfort. No drug is without their risks and I completely understand your hesitation with pred (seen some bad stuff too) but when it comes to GI inflammation, pred is much safer than an NSAID just based on their possible GI consequences and their mech of actions. You have ot have a reason to use pred though... if it was just "discomfort", I'd go with an opioid instead. Or tramadol... has a little antiinflammatory properties, doesnt attack the GI or kidneys (like NSAIDs) and has opioid-like properties.

And I think I have heard something about Cerenia having great analgesic properties... I heard it from one of the guys doing research on it when it was yet to be published. I'll have to go find my notes.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:01 am

Yep, the Cerenia stuff has been published. Extract as well as JAVMA? I think. Dr. at work confirmed today. And we have found it to be true in practice. It's a wonder drug, I tell ya. The only issue is the administration route in a small exotic (and where to start with dosing?). And the price can be cost prohibitive for most practices unless they pass along the cost. The Dr. I work closely with at our practice has pretty good acceptance of the drug and extra charges when she explains it to the clients. It can easily cost $25-40 for most smaller dogs.

Yeah, I'd probably prefer buprenorphine or tramadol for GI pain. I've seen too many issues with pred. And a few deaths with aspirin and tylenol dosage. Not many with Metacam, but one or two over the years.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:12 am

I'll keep after my vet to keep looking for info. This sounds very promising. And yes, she mentioned giving it in a SQ bolus as well. She said a bunch of stuff the same as you said, which I forgot about. :-(

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:45 am

Yea NSAIDs are just not very safe when it comes to GI compromises... tylenol and aspirin being way less specific (therefore more potentially GI/renal/liver toxic) than some of the newer generation NSAIDs. Metacam isnt all that specific either, but way better than acetaminophen or aspirin. Cats and dogs (esp cats) are super sensitive and there's a really low safety range.

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:41 am

Just to update, the foster said Simon is less gassy and seems to be doing well. So hopefully he is healing.

And my pig with the suspected adhesions -- Dr. Cote thinks not. Probably cancer. Waiting on cytology results. I will ask her about the Cerenia when she calls.