Topaz's Zoey

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:08 pm

I do hope they eventually resolve.

You might want to look around the house and find something of about two pounds that's always there and doesn't change weight as a reference in case you ever question your scale.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:02 am

I think all your hunches are exactly right.

Topaz

Post   » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:11 am

Thanks, Talishan. It's very reassuring to hear you say that!

Lynx, the scale is all good now. I put in a new battery and everyone weighs what they should.

Topaz

Post   » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:08 pm

This morning Zoey's poos looked pretty good. Not many of them and no one had them stuck to themselves anywhere.

For the past couple of days they had been mushy again. I thought that could have been from introduction day and all of the treats(lettuces mainly, but lots of them) they got. Her poos weren't terrible, same as they have been off and on, sticky/mushy and sticking to everyone's feet if they stepped on them. Not fun to clean up the cage and pigs' feet 5 or so times a day.

Anyway, now tonight they look terrible. Way wetter and mushier than normal. The cage is a mess. She's been bathed once today already and now has poo on her feet, her head, and some on her butt area. This is the worst I've seen it. And it is smelly again.

She is on day three of baytril and has only had hay, pellets, and some baby spring greens for lunch, which she usually does fine with.

Her appetite is great. She seems happy and otherwise healthy. She's drinking water, eating hay and pellets, and getting along really well with the girls. I just can't figure this out.

Should I go NO greens at all?? Probably, right? I know this will be difficult for her as she wheeks daily for her greens and really looks forward to them.

This also means that I would have to take her out of Goldie and Latte's cage and put her back in the large pet store cage. All alone. I really really don't want to do that.

But how will I take this poo mess with three pigs daily?? And how can I give them greens and not her?? Maybe take her out and snuggle for a bit while they eat theirs? Ugh. I did not expect this and just keep waiting for things to improve. They are not. They are getting worst. What can i do for this girl??

If she's still having these mushy/watery poos tomorrow, I'll have to get her in to see the vet. I have no idea what she will do though. ?? It seems as if we have covered every base. We've had the float and culture and she's on her second antibiotic. Could the bactrim be causing the poo to get mushier?

Frustrated.

DMac
Supporter in '10, '11, & '12

Post   » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:27 pm

How about taking Zoey out and feeding her some tiny bits of pepper or something while the others eat their greens and then just put her back when they're done?

Topaz

Post   » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Thanks, DMac. I'm very hesitant to give her anything at all now(aside from the leaf lettuces I had been giving). Pepper seems to give her looser poo, as well as cucumber or any fruits.

And now my dilemma is, do I stop all greens, even the leaf lettuces for a while, or even possibly for good?

And would she be better off in her own cage without the smells of greens or any treats that the other girls are getting? And would my other two girls be better without her in with them if this doesn't resolve because of the mess?

There is dried poo everywhere. Even on the food and water dish rims. I've washed them three times already today.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:03 pm

Just my opinion but I would stop all greens, veg etc. and see if this clears up. You can always feed the others outside the cage for a bit. It's worth a try. If it stops you could reintroduce greens in small amounts one at a time and see what happens.

Topaz

Post   » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:09 pm

That's my plan for tomorrow, Bugs Mom. And maybe for quite a while until things look better. Absolutely no greens. I'll just take her for snuggles somewhere else in the house where she can't hear the girls crunching them or smell them. I sure hope things look better in the morning or straight to the vet we go. They have been VERY loose tonight.

I'm going to at least call the vet tomorrow to let her know what's going on and to ask if I should stop the bactrim or keep it up and see if the no veggies helps first.

I've got her in the separate cage for now(pushed up against the other cage) but hope to put her back in with the girls when she's not so messy.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:13 pm

I hope you can get this sorted out soon. Your plan sounds good!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:28 pm

I hope you are able to get it sorted out too!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:54 am

"Could the bactrim be causing the poo to get mushier?"

Not real likely but not impossible. We had one little girl who could not even tolerate metronidazole. We just prayed she never needed an AB for anything at all.

I still say try a course of metronidazole if you haven't already (without reading back).

You are giving probiotics, yes?

Topaz

Post   » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:47 am

Yes I am giving probiotics as well as some extra vitamin c.

She's had a 14 day course of Flagyl and handled that well. Didn't clear things up but certainly didn't make anything worse.

This morning her poos are not so runny but are still not great. I gave her some more poop soup from Goldie and have skipped her morning dose of bactrim until I talk to the vet.

I will also skip the greens.

She's still in her separate cage. :(