theory on chirping

TWP_2

Post   » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:56 pm

I listened to the video at this link (a Mouse 'singing' for a mate) and was struck by the similarity to GP chirping.

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2 ... tml?ref=hp

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:25 pm

How interesting! It certainly does sound like a guinea pig.

shanachie05

Post   » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:08 pm

One of my fosters is a chirper but I haven't been able to figure out which one...

Z3Roadrunner

Post   » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:56 pm

Three of our 5 sows chirp regularly, and always at night. Sometimes it can last almost five minutes.

TWP_2

Post   » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:09 pm

It seems logical to me that chirping for a decent period of time would give another pig who is a ways away a chance to find you.

Of course, it would give a predator a chance to find you too...maybe why they (at least, our guys) don't do it all that often.

dmppiggie

Post   » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:22 pm

Sadie is the only one who has ever chirped--she also did it in the middle of the night!

I ran into their room and looked in, and there she was, chirping away with the other girls just staring. She has also recently taken up sitting in the hay rack.

We now call her Sadie Birdie.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:33 pm

So here we are again, many years later, I still have not figured out why they chirp chirp chirp.
Although many says this is a rare occurrence, I kid you not peoples, all of ours chirp, (yes, even our special Maxwell) and they carry on even as you talk to them and pet them.

Some people on Youtube told me that I "doctored" the videos and added the chirping, but this is the clearest video I have caught them chirping.
You can literally see Emma moving her mouth and head as she made each chirp!

Grab 2 Advil's, MUTE your speakers...
You've been warned!
Emma radios outerspace!

Piggywig

Post   » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:09 pm

I've got a chirper! I haven't had one around in years and years. Or, at least, one who expressed it. But a few nights ago, really very early morning, Louie chirped. His was breathy and quiet, just like Barnaby's in the first part of that video.

I got up to check on him, and he gave me the "who, me?" look and went hopping away, back to bed. I really checked things out but didn't see any cause for alarm. So I went back to bed too and he didn't do it any more. I wonder if they sometimes have bad dreams.

TexCavy

Post   » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:50 pm

Momo If they said you doctored it they have not ever heard real gp chirping before, because that's it.

Char Chirps daily and sometimes several times a day. And as I mentioned on Momo's thread she sometimes chirps herself to sleep, getting quieter and quieter till she's making the moves of chirping but I can hear no sound. Then she relaxes and falls asleep. I never heard of any other one doing it that much. She is the one that was born eyeless. She's not sad. She runs her happy laps more often than she chirps. And since its every day, I know it isn't just when she is in heat.

How many chirps does it take to get to the bottom of the chirping mystery?
The world may never know.
;)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:39 pm

I've got one wheeker (loud and insistent) and one chirper. The chirper almost never wheeks, and the wheeker has only chirped once that I know of.

Ruffles, the chirper, has always done it when it's very quiet in the house, and would stop if she heard any noise whatsoever. But this week, she scrambled up to the top level of the cage and proceeded to chirp in the loudest voice I've ever heard. I was cooking, so there was plenty of noise in the kitchen. I stepped over to the door and talked to her, and she stopped chirping, as expected. But as soon as I quit talking, she started chirping again. We carried on quite a conversation there for about three minutes, and then she gave it up. I have no idea why the change.

clairey

Post   » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:00 pm

I laughed hard at Momo's resigned "Are you serious?" when Emma kept on chirping.

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:53 pm

I've secretly always wanted a chipper. Not anymore. I don't think I could stand listening to that all day. Can you tell I am not a big bird person?