theory on chirping

akintolife

Post   » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:42 pm

Listening to chirping through the day would be okay, having a chirper that only chirps a couple of times at 3am in a house where there are no screen on the windows is not fun though! Especially the first time you hear it and spend the next hour or two searching the house for the bird that flew in the window.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:21 am

It happens every now and then that a pig chirps at night. We have an open plan house, so we are awakened too, but it's just nice to listen to. Floopy used to do it in broad daylight, when I stood next to the cage, like a serenade for me. Very moving.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:32 am

It happens every now and then that a pig chirps at night. We have an open plan house, so we are awakened too, but it's just nice to listen to. Floopy used to do it in broad daylight, when I stood next to the cage, like a serenade for me. Very moving.

SwissPiggies

Post   » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:10 am

So just imagine... 3 chirping at the same time, lol. Usually Toffee starts, then Tiny joins in, then finally Cashew. Sometimes one starts and if another joins in, the originator will stop.

Sometimes they chirp at the same time, sometimes separately. They chirp in the daytime as well as at night too. Whether I'm in the room or not makes no difference either.

I've always wondered if the neighbors could hear them, but never dared to ask.

akintolife

Post   » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:21 am

It is a beautiful sound. I was just so scared a bird was trapped in the house and couldn't get out. The next time I heard it I knew what it was, so I could just enjoy it. My current boys don't seem to be chirpers, although they are amazingly loud wheekers.

Topaz

Post   » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:25 am

Only one of my pigs has ever chirped and it was one time, for a very sort period. As soon as I walked in the room, it stopped.

It's an unsettling sound to me! Kind of like fingernails on a chalkboard. It seems like it's unsettling to most pigs as well. I wonder what they are saying and what it means??

I do have to say, even though the sound is unsettling to me, McChompChomp sure does look adorable with her little mouth moving like that.

xanima

Post   » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:34 am

I am surprised how you think about this.
I do think it is a sign for stress, I would say in about 90% of the times one of my pigs did this there was a reason, and not a "good" one.
More like: sick pig (meaning really sick) in the group or trouble in the group. Sometimes when a (or more) females was in heat.
So besides of the fact that I really don´t like the sound whenever I hear one of my cavies do this I feel sad for the pig that is so stressed it has to do this.
And seeing how the others react to this shows that it is not just a sound they make because they like it.

Well, there might be cavies who do this without such a reason, but even if I did like the sound I couldn´t enjoy it if one of my cavies did this a lot.

TexCavy

Post   » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:41 am

I don't think Char is stressed. Maybe on rare occasions, But not four or five times a day. I live most of my life 3 feet from her and she's one of my happiest piggies ever. BTW, she chirps in a new rhythm and tone nearly every time now. I so wish I could record hers because its unique compared to the monotone chirping all my other chirpers have done.

Debs4Pigs

Post   » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:42 pm

I used to think my chirper was Pixie, my cuy. But, it turns outto be Violet. She's my grey and white aby. I don't think she was stressed. I stood there and watched her for a half hour, chirping on and off.