Crusty nipples -- whitish deposit

cavytopia

Post   » Sat Jan 12, 2002 1:05 am

It´s good to hear that Snowflake is doing so well.

I will find out about the vet and the spays on guinea pigs. BTW, I had the vets name wrong -- it is not Dr. Duncan but Dr. Duncan Augustine (the reptile/bird vet). Also, the small animal vet is a she -- Dr. Angela Hope. They are the only exotics vets in the area where I live (they are 1/2 hour from me).

lisam

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2002 6:30 pm

Today at floor time I noticed Amidala, my PMS pig, was mounting everyone and being a little more obnoxious than usual. I picked her up for a little talk and guess what? She has the same crusty stuff on her nipples that your Snowflake does.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2002 10:20 pm

I guess the other thing we noticed was the nipples seemed larger (not swollen, just larger) than the other female´s nipples. Is this also the case?

lisam

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2002 10:57 pm

Yes. They are larger. I think that is why I noticed them, because they really stuck out there. Amidala is 3 years old, and this behavior of hers seems to be escalating. I re-read Pinta´s post, and am thinking I should be taking her to the vet for an ultrasound. She has started losing a little weight, I had thought to take her in to have her teeth looked at. I wonder if it can be connected.

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 12:15 am

Weight loss and pyometra can be connected. Samantha´s weight loss was what tipped us off to a problem somewhere. We didn´t connect the extra large nipples to pyometra until it was diagnosed.
Last edited by pinta on Wed Jan 16, 2002 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

lisam

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 12:25 am

I suppose it would be a good idea to take my vet (Lee Harris in Federal Way) a copy of this thread when I take Amidala in.

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 12:28 am

He can consult with my vet if he wants. Might have already. She can give him the lowdown on our pyometra cases.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:02 am

I am wondering if these probable hormonal changes (indicated by sexual behavior) are always indicative of possible problems.

If any of you people out there have now or had sows that fit this description (even if only being continually aggressive/mounting in their behavior), I would appreciate any information you could add on their medical history and longevity.

And Pinta, did your sows with pyometria display this kind of behavior?

Last edited by Lynx on Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2002 8:36 am

Have you seen the vet yet? I noticed a day or two ago Snowflake was pulling hair out on one side of her belly. I treated them all for parasites but I´ll bet that isn´t it. Neither of the two local vets has an ultrasound that can be used on pigs (one has no ultrasound, the other doesn´t have an attachment that could work on small animals). Looks like I´m going to have to start calling around to find out who has done successful spays.

my2piggies

Post   » Sun Jan 20, 2002 2:20 pm

I have just noticed this week that Marcy was getting a bald spot on her back and when i picked her up today she wriggles abit more than usual and I ended up covered in fur.

She was treated for mites not too long ago so i was a bit suprised to see the signs again. When our last pig was ill, the first symptons of any problem was a mite flare up, this happened before the appetite went and other signs of illness (URI) showed up. Unfortunately we had an unknowledgable vet who treated the mites alone. The second vet he saw explained his body was too busy fighting the URI so the mites flared up, unfortunatley by the time he saw her it was too late.

I don´t want to make that mistake again, we are going to the vet tomorrow.

my2piggies

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2002 11:54 am

Although he couldn´t find/feel anything wrong inside her (and he certainly had a good try) he suspects ovarian cysts, and said the only cure would be to have her spayed. He said this might also explain the hair loss.
She is being treated for mites anyway. I have to keep a close eye on her and see if her behaviour alters at all, incase there is a slim chance her stroppy behavior is caused by mite irritation (although this wouldn´t explain the crusty bits).
She is going back next Wednesday for more mite shots and/or further investigation.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2002 12:57 pm

If you end up getting her spayed, let us know if it appears there was anything abnormal going on. One day I think there must be something dreadfully wrong with Snowflake and the next day I feel like I am over reacting and seeing things that aren´t there. I don´t have much confidence in the local vets diagnosing things and would hate to do an unnecessary surgery.