Hay Poke, probably not a serious problem but still...

dmppiggie

Post   » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:50 am

Is it hay poke weekend? (one of my girls just got one Friday night)

For sure the vet--no question with that one. My Mollie wasn't showing outward signs, but when I was holding her, she was shuddering (sign of pain/fear).

nicodimus22

Post   » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:02 am

One of my boars just had an enucleation as a result of a hay poke. I treated it constantly for 2.5 months, trying to salvage the eye, but it was a lost cause. Went to a vet opthamologist and everything.

My pig never showed any signs of pain, yet had a nasty injury. They hide it well.

Jazzbox

Post   » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:18 am

Okay, we have a vet appointment for 6.00 this evening. It is probably that we could have gotten an appointment during the day except that I would feel much better if the girlie went along too, but her job will not allow her taking time off during the day.

Now, in addition to the salve or ointment or eyedrops, should we either expect or request, for example, Metacam for pain? Naturally if she is in pain, as most people here think that she would be, having such an injury, we would want to alleviate it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:47 am

Review signs of pain here. Not a bad idea to weigh your pig daily right now as not eating as much is a serious sign of pain (has more negative consequences).

www.guinealynx.info/.html

Jazzbox

Post   » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:57 am

I am reading the pages carefully, although I do not see any of the symptoms mentioned. I will of course continue to monitor her.

If there is pain, it could not be from the cornea proper, could it? I was under the impression that the cornea is essentially dead tissue, with no nerves in it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:59 am

I can't answer that (don't know enough). I would look for the signs of pain listed (no matter how or from where it originates).

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:12 pm

Aside from the possibility of pain, that needs aggressive treatment to heal. You wouldn't want her to lose an eye if it worsens. It's never a bad idea to discuss pain meds with your vet.

Fortunately, my pigs haven't had many injuries to their eyes, but the few times it did happen, they showed definite signs of pain. The eye is a sensitive area in general.

lisam

Post   » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:10 pm

My Natalie had an eye that looked just like that. Using the drops three times a day helped the eye to get better in just days.

She was on Metacam for just two days.

Jazzbox

Post   » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:54 pm

Okay, we just returned from the vet. The vet not only looked at her injured eye, but gave her a general exam, and examined her for lumps. Going Merry did not appreciate the attention, not even one little bit, but she got over it. Eventually.

The vet gave her an eye stain, to get a better idea of the extent of the injury. She said that there was significant inflammation, and will take longer than 5 days to heal. She also said that pain medication was not needed, as Going Merry was showing no signs of pain, although she did advise us to be alert for such, and if necessary she will give us Metacam. (We will also be monitoring going Merry's weight, which we will record daily.)

She prescribed Ciprofloxacin at least two or preferably three times a day. (We will have no trouble administering it three times a day.) The vet also warned us that it will look worse before it starts to look better. But right now it is looking pretty bad indeed, but that is because of the red eye stain she used to examine the eye. She also said that some pigs react badly to Ciprofloxicin insofar as it stings their eyes but the first administration seems to have gone well, with no ill effects on Going Merry. We can expect that to continue, I should think.

Saturday, i.e. the day before yesterday, we had made an appointment for another one of our pigs with this same vet, for this coming Sunday (i.e. six days from today), so that appointment will now be for two pigs, conveniently saving us a trip there. Although really at this time of year, going there is a reasonably pleasant walk.

Well that's a pretty full report and I do not think that there are any glaring omissions, except for the fact that someone came to the vet's office with a very friendly bulldog, and he greatly amused everyone with his antics and the wide array of entertaining sounds he made!

And of course the girlie and I and Going Merry want to thank everyone for their advice in this matter!

angiemthomas

Post   » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:32 pm

Good job Jazzbox!

Jazzbox

Post   » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:38 pm

Awww, wuz nothin'. Besides, there were some people here who were kind enough to give me a few subtle hints.

:)

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:44 pm

Good news. I would still watch for signs of pain, which I'm sure you will! :) Amazing how bad these guys can hurt themselves with hay isn't it?