Topaz's Zoey

Topaz

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:23 am

So wow, I have an unexpected Zoey update.

She's been off pellets for a bit now. I tried her with about a teaspoon full about three days ago. Soft poos came back for that day and then the next morning and then things looked good again.

I also started her on Bactrim again, right around the time I took her off of the pellets(which we will do the full course this time since she seems to be handling it well).

So, as of yesterday morning, we have SOLID FORMED POOPS! All day. Perfect. They are lovely! I never thought I'd call anyone's poos lovely but they are!

Yesterday I tried her with a few pellets again since things were looking so great. All day, no problem. The lovely poos continued.

I can't believe it!

I gave her about a tablespoon of pellets again this morning and she gobbled them up. I'm a little concerned as she had only one or two poos throughout the night but am sure as the morning goes on, there will be more.

I don't know what happened, or why, but I am absolutely thrilled about these recent developments. Could whatever was going on have finally worked it's way out of her system and straightened itself out??

I will be on constant poo patrol but will be giving her about a tablespoon of pellets each morning to see how that goes. Hopefully she can be put back on them because she really does love them.

She's been having greens every day, sprinkled with kyodophilus and acidophilus and I've even been giving her little pieces of pepper or cucumber mixed in. I also give her a little carrot, maybe a blueberry, or whatever I give the other girls throughout the day. NO problems!

*furiously knocks on wood and crosses fingers*

Could the loose poo be a thing of the past?? Could things finally be working the way that they should? Could the poor girl finally be able to eat like a "normal" pig? !!!

I feel so encouraged and am hopeful that we can do reintroductions with my other two girls if this continues. Don't want to get too ahead of myself or too excited yet but I just can't believe the change! She is even acting like she is feeling better and NO foot baths have been needed for days now. :)

Yay!

Sorry for the excessive punctuation but to those who have dealt with this never ending loose stool issue, I'm sure you understand how great this feels!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:27 am

I hope this is resolved! You are weighing daily right now? By the way, is it stressful to be with the other pigs or does she seem happy? Stress (at least in humans) can affect the gut.

Topaz

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:33 am

Yes, I am weighing and she's been maintaining nicely all along.

She actually seemed happy to be with the other girls. I liked seeing her interact with them and finding them together at the hay pile or lying side by side under the benches. I do think she liked the company. The poos had been loose from the very beginning, even when she was in quarantine, which was almost a month. I saw no difference when she was with the others.

I'm definitely not rushing things though. I feel as if I'll know if and when the time is right.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:37 am

Yay for non mooshy poo!

Hope she continues to do well.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:49 pm

Yay!

Topaz

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:26 am

Thanks! Still all good. *said quietly not wanting to jinx anything*

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:28 pm

Sending quiet good thoughts. So happy for the update. :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:38 pm

Yay! Yay!
(quietly!)

Topaz

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:35 am

:)

Ech90
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:51 pm

Hey Topaz! I am so glad to hear that your piggy's poos are doing better. So they are still okay although she is back on the pellets? Also, I think you mentioned that you were giving Zoey bene-bac. Did you administer that daily? My piggy has very similar problems.

Topaz

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:03 pm

Thanks!

I've been giving her kyodophilus and acidophilus daily on her greens.

I tried a number of things, to no avail until now. We gave up any vegetables for a while, just pellets and hay. That didn't work.

She was on three weeks of Flagyl. That at first helped a bit but ended up not working for her.

That's how she would go. Things would look not terrible for a bit and I would think that whatever I was doing was helping, I wouldn't change a thing, but then things would always backslide and get worse again. Back and forth, back and forth. And for no apparent reason.

Then finally, I just started giving her veggies again because it made no difference when I cut them out so I figured why not?

That's when I thought that pellets could maybe be causing the problem, so I decided to cut them out to see what would happen. It seemed to help. Then when I would give her a few, she's get soft poos again. So I decided to stick to no pellets for a while. I also started her on Bactrim again around the same time(the first time I had her on this her poops got worse).

So, whether it was the break from the pellets, the bactrim, or just something that had to work itself out of her, I don't know.

For a few days now I've been giving her pellets again in the mornings. Probably about 1-2 tablespoons or so. She also gets lots of hay and afternoon greens with some cut up pepper, cuke, or other veggie.

She's doing great. No more soft poos. AT ALL. I am amazed and really thought it would be an ongoing problem I'd just have to deal with.

I'm going to have her finish out her bactrim and continue with the probiotics for a while. And again, I really can't say for certain what finally turned things around, I'm just happy they did! And I hope they stay that way! One of my fears is that she will relapse. I especially worry about when I take her off of the bactrim. Ah well, we shall see.

Good luck with your poo issues! It is just so frustrating, isn't it?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:44 pm

The transit time is pretty quick. So glad things have improved.

If you would like to write up a short summary (timeline, what you did, what worked, etc.) of your experience, I could put it in the Records forum for reference (it so helps to have info condensed and not have to read a long thread - though I would still link to it).