Sooty and Smudge fly to Seattle

ilumiari

Post   » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:09 am

My visa application was approved this morning, so my relocation consultant can start looking into flights.

Feylin - I'm not sure why I'd need to contact the embassy, I was at the consulate this morning, and it's not the kind of place you go to ask questions.

The relevant links I could find are:
http://www.fws.gov/permits/faqs/FaqR.html Fish & Wildlife don't say anything about guinea pigs, but rabbits basically need to be notified about 48 hours in advance, and declared upon entry.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export ... pets.shtml USDA mentions that there are no animal health requirements for importing piggies.

I'm debating dropping by the vet tomorrow to get them looked over and chat about flying with pigs (she was also Casper's vet) to make sure everything will be in order for their pre-flight inspection.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:29 am

I've just found out that Frontier Airlines allows pets in the cabin, if that helps you out any.

ilumiari

Post   » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:32 pm

A number of US domestic airlines allow pets in the cabin, but they need to be in a different (soft) style of carrier. No Australian domestic airline allows it, nor do any international flights.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:13 am

"allow pets in the cabin" make triple/quadruple sure this includes guinea pigs, as it has been a lot of other's experience that this is NOT the case.

ilumiari

Post   » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:53 pm

It turns out that my airport won't allow pets on passenger planes, so Sooty & Smudge will be flying on cargo planes. Their travel will be organised by WorldCare Pet Transport. We'll be separated for longer this way, but at least someone else will be looking out for their welfare. I leave Perth at about 6am next Thursday and will arrive in Seattle at around 3pm (local times).

I'd better get back to packing! Why do I own so much stuff?

Feylin

Post   » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:52 pm

You've checked the company out really well?

I'm assuming you have but....
When I was researching I heard some pretty ugly things about them. They charge easily tripple what you would pay and charge for things that don't have a fee (like certain paperwork from countries). There were people complaining that they could not get any updates on their animals or that the animals were not fed or watered.

I'm really hoping that the stuff I found was just random people.

ilumiari

Post   » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:09 pm

The company is covering all of the fees, I imagine that their relocation team has a business arrangement with them. So far I feel pretty good about them, I'm having a phone chat with a representative soon.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:41 pm

I live in Washington, but I live about two and half hours from Redmond; still, if there's anything I can help you with supplies or otherwise, let me know.

ilumiari

Post   » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:54 pm

Thank you for the offer, Cannabuns mom! I still don't have a concrete plan on what I'm going to do about a cage and food, but 2.5 hours away is a bit far for my conscience :)

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:51 pm

Ooh! My brother lives there. I was just there last year. It is lovely! There is a rescue there that really needs volunteers, too. Rabbit Meadows. They also rescue guinea pigs. They are building a shelter and need help.

Congrats on moving to the USA!

ilumiari

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:59 am

I saw that Rabbit Meadows are building a new shelter in Redmond! I'm planning to help out as much as I can, but I'm not sure how much help I can be without a car, it's a bit far from any public transport.

I had a chat on the phone with the representative from the transport agency, and I'm happy that she'll try to do everything she can to make it a good journey. My flight leaves at 5.45am on the 5th, so the pigs will be picked up the night before. They may spend a night in Los Angeles to recover from the 14 hour Sydney->LA stretch. It's so nice that I don't need to worry about the cost involved.

I explained that it was very important that their carrier is loaded up with food (especially) before the long flight, and she said she'd even look into procuring some fresh veggies for them in both Sydney and LA.

Their Australian partner company, JetPets, will be handling the Perth->Sydney flight and putting them on the international flight in Sydney.

When they arrive in Seattle they'll be delivered to my temporary housing, so it's all very convenient. Their flights haven't been booked yet, but hopefully I can give more details soon.

I think I'll order a cage from http://www.guineapigzone.com - it's not perfect, but it will be ok until I get a chance to buy more grids. I'll sacrifice some premium suitcase real estate for a towel and a fleece, and I'll also order some PiggyBedSpreads as soon as I find out my temporary address. My poor bank account! It's down to the three figure mark, my last week in Perth is turning out to be depressingly frugal.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:18 am

You can get a cheap towel and a cheap fleece blanket at any Family Dollar or other discount store, if you think you'll have a few minutes.