Sunshine meets her new friend

8ball

Post   » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:26 pm

I have a huge soft spot for Dalmatians.
Me too Bambam. I had a dal a few years ago who was the most precious piggy.

Lola is beautiful, as is Sunshine.

maggiemae

Post   » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:11 pm

Lola needs a middle name.. Just saying. Either way, I am happy Sunshine has another little wheekity to play with!

P.S. Maggie wants to know why there are no apple slices in those veggies.... Just passing on the message..

Supa

Post   » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:00 pm

Hello All!

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words!

Things have been going about as expected here in piggy land. Sunshine has recently decided she is going to be the boss around here and Lola seems to be ok with it.

There is a little more whining and rumbling but nothing at all that I have found alarming. Also when it is nap time more often than not they lay together which is something that Lucy and Sunshine rarely ever did. It is adorable. :)

Sunshine's mood has reallllllly brightened up and she keeps getting better. She is constantly showing off to Lola while daddy is cleaning up the cage. She will walk right under my arms and just act like nothing in the world could scare her.

She has also started letting daddy pet her while she is at the front of the cage. I'm hoping it will rub off on Lola! Ms. Lola has definitely found her voice and she quickly learned that when daddy's alarm goes of in the morning, it is time for breakfast! There is nothing like seeing 2 excited piggies knowing they are about to get fed. It just makes me laugh every time.

Sunshine apparently has decided to keep Lucy's tradition of cage biting at dinner time alive. It's so funny because this was something she completely picked up from Lucy. The gears really must have been turning in her mind! "Cage biting = num nums!"

It's really cute the things that the pigs teach each other. I'm waiting for Lola to start doing it too. That's ok though as long as she doesn't do it all night while daddy is sleeping. :)

And yes little Ms. Lola definitely needs a middle name. Something I'll have to think about.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:44 am

Glad they get along well!

Supa

Post   » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:09 pm

Hello again everyone!

Well things have been a little concerning here in piggy land. Lola and Sunshine are for the most part getting along fine. There is a little more bickering as Sunshine has now clearly asserted herself as the dominate pig and Lola chooses to respond to that by whining alot. :)

The concern here, and even more so now that I'm looking back at these first few pictures I posted, is that Lola has appeared to have gained a large amount of weight. Not just that but it is showing in her belly which really is sticking out now on both sides!

She drinks water like it is going out of style, and eats every last spec of food. I'm starting to wonder if she is pregnant. I had posted an add on craigslist looking for a female pig and that is how I came across her.

The lady seemed nice enough and somewhat cavy savy but she had mentioned that she had been caged with other pigs. I had of course assumed it wouldn't have been with any males.

Here's the thing. I brought her home in early Feb. so if she IS pregnant, we'd have to be nearing week 7!!! I will post a picture of her soon but is there anything I can look for myself, or would it be best to take her in to check for sure?

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:55 am

I'd take her in to a cavy savvy veterinarian just to be sure, and to make sure it isn't bloat. I hope if she is pregnant things go smoothly for everyone. Your cavies are just gorgeous.

Supa

Post   » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:30 pm

We are headed to the vet tomorrow. I'm almost positive she is. I think I could feel them just by holding her. It's definitely not just fat!

BamBam

Post   » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:30 am

A pregnant dalmation is of concern. If she mated with another recessive gene carrier the pups are in danger of acquiring both.

I am very much hoping that she isn't pregnant. Do you know how old she is?

BamBam

Post   » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:30 am

A pregnant dalmation is of concern. If she mated with another recessive gene carrier the pups are in danger of acquiring both.

I am very much hoping that she isn't pregnant. Do you know how old she is?

Supa

Post   » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:14 pm

I was told she was around a year and a half old which of course is a little concerning. I suppose its better than if she were 3 or 4 but still.

We are headed to the vet a little later today. I will be sure to post what I find out.

rpaws

Post   » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:52 pm

I hope she is just gaining weight from good eating.

From what I understand, the older the guinea pig the more concern there would be.

Supa

Post   » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:12 pm

Well Lola is 100 percent pregnant. And because of the timing she has got to be within a week or so of having the babies. The vet was great, did an xray and we can see for sure 4 little piggies in there with a small chance of 5 (holy cow!!!!).

Since we can't be sure on the age of Lola, and we don't know of any previous pregnancies, a Cesarean may have to be done if she has any trouble during labor.

The exotic vet at the clinic I went to only takes 1 day a week off and she said she would still come in if it happened to fall on her day off. Lola is back in her cage with Sunshine and doing fine.

The good news is she is in very good health according to the vet. So please everyone send good vibes this way and let's hope for the best!