Frost's New Hobby: Barbering

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:43 am

"Can bloat be otherwise unnoticeable?"

Generally not. Stasis can be unnoticeable at first physiologically, but they'll still (usually, anyway) show signs of discomfort, lethargy, puffing up etc.

A photo would really be helpful.

TWP_2

Post   » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:53 am

We'll get a photo up soon, we took a couple of good ones this evening in the sunlight.

We dosed them this evening with the standard dose of Ivermectin (by weight). We'll follow up at 7 and 14 days, and continue monitoring. If it's mites I expect we'll see improvement within a day or two.

He does seem to be going after only areas that are regularly in contact with bedding (abdomen, legs, sides). But then he can most easily reach those areas, too.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:37 pm

Pictures:

This is Frost.

This is Frost's handiwork on his belly. He's done most of this since the weekend.

The skin itself looks healthy and not especially irritated. There are no urine stains or signs of a contact problem.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:21 pm

He has such an adorable face. :)

I am hoping that the ivermectin treatments are the solution.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:28 pm

Frost is FIVE? Wow. I hope this clears up or you find a solution/reason he's doing it.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:59 pm

That doesn't look particularly like gas/bloat. Fluid retention maybe?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:47 pm

What a cutie! And he certainly has done a number on his abdominal hair!

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:09 pm

We started the ivermectin last night. We'll see pretty quickly, I think, if the mites were a problem. I'm afraid I'll come home to find him naked everywhere except his nose. He's industrious when he puts his mind to something, that's for sure.

Another GLer posted on my facebook page that I might need to try an antifungal and children's liquid Benedryl. Thoughts?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:13 pm

It looks pretty clean - I would not guess fungal though it can cause hair loss. Do you think it bothers him? I would think if there was itching, you might see some self mutilation.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:57 pm

Honestly, the skin looks pretty healthy. It's not scaly, dry, scratched or otherwise chewed. He's just attacking the fur.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:18 am

It may only be the lighting, but his abdominal area looks squishy to me?

This may not even be related to the affected area of skin and hair. If he is anxious or in pain, he could just be barbering because he is nervous (kind of like when people bite their nails or wring their hands).

TWP_2

Post   » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:39 am

I felt around all over his abdomen and limbs, and I don't feel anything out of the ordinary. Nothing more squishy than normal, nothing harder than normal, etc.

He seems to be a lot less itchy, and we have not seen him doing any obvious barbering.

We'll continue with the ivermectin (second and maybe third treatment) and see if his hair regrows without further barbering.