GGGGRRRRR VET!

amaruq

Post   » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:25 pm

Elvis (Skinny pig) woke up with a snotty nose and not eating.

It's saturday and my cavy vet wasn't in. I called around and found a "Cavy Vet"

What a load of BULL!

First off he ripped a strip off me saying Elvis has massive mange! I tried to calmly tell him he was a Skinny pig and they are born that way. He grabs him by the scruff of the neck and sees his man parts. Says they are swollen??? No they aren't. He was mad cause he wasn't neutured?

He didn't notice the snotty nose he had or the fact he is sneezing.

So he tells me he has to trim teeth???? I'm like NNOOO his teeth are fine.

He listened to his chest and says he has a heart mur mur????? (Sp?)

So he says he wants to do injections???? I'm like at this point wanting to RUN!!!!!!

So he wanted to give Revolution 15 mg
Fentanyl 0.10
Convenia 0.12
Which i declined all! I read the Convenia is very bad!

Which i declined but quickly accepted the baytril 1.2 once a day. Does that sound right?

I been hand feeding and forcing feeding fluids although he is sort of eating. Not great.

I have a beanie I warmed up and put in cage with him. I also covered the cage so no one bugs him (Cats)

Any other ideas till I can get to my vet next week?

I am so furious they lied! And they treated him so poorly!

Gees what do you do when you need an emergency vet?????

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:41 pm

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, but glad that you have enough knowledge to turn down bad advice.

What is the suspension on your Baytril? Is it a clear liquid?

amaruq

Post   » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:43 pm

Yes the clear stuff.
I use strawberry syrup to mix it. Is that ok?

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:18 pm

I'm so very sorry you had to deal with that. Do you have some critical care? Its best for hand feeding.

LandosMomma

Post   » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:19 pm

Fentanyl? Seriously? PR have you ever heard that used in guinea pigs? I mean that is a serious narcotic.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:39 pm

Yes, I've used Fentanyl in cavies. It works. Not sure it was indicated in this case.

And Convenia is a GODSEND! Just TOXIC to cavies! But I love it for cats and dogs.

Doesn't sound like this vet knew much about cavies. Pretty glad you didn't get the Convenia injection.

sherlyn

Post   » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:18 pm

Hi that happened to a fellow cavy owner of mine. He got a sow who had a hard time giving birth to a single large pup. He immediately took it to the vet for an emergency CS. But the vet refuse because he is 'afraid' to perform CS Op because the sow is too weak.. in the end both mom and pup died. 2 lives lost because of that fear.. That pregnancy I think is unintentional because breeders here are postponing any matings because of the hot weather that we are currently experiencing

amaruq

Post   » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:26 am

I do have critical care and used it. He's a good man and takes it easily.

I am still upset about this. I just give my head a shake and thank God that I read your web site. I would never have known anything without it.

Elvis seems to be more alert this morning. I see some little poops in the cage this morning :)

I can hardly wait to see my Vet!!!!!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:47 am

"Yes the clear stuff.
I use strawberry syrup to mix it. Is that ok?"

Yes.

What is the concentration of your Baytril and how much does your pig weigh?

Bless you for reading and knowing enough to know what (not) to do to save your pig's life.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:34 am

Good luck little guy.

amaruq

Post   » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:45 am

He seems to be picking up steam and is eating on his own. I still want MY vet to check him for the heart. It would explain a lot of things with him.

I'm not sure i understand about the Baytril. The Concentration? All it says is 1.2 He weighs 700 grams right now but never is up to 800 grams. He's the slim Elvis :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:50 pm

www.guinealynx.info/_dose.html explains the information you need so you know what dosage he is being given (weight, dose, concentration).