Frost's New Hobby: Barbering

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Mon May 07, 2012 9:39 pm

We had a freak water bottle accident. The part with the sippy straw broke free of the bottle while Milo was drinking and the bottle fell. He broke his teeth.

What do we do?

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Mon May 07, 2012 9:43 pm

I want to say just leave them and hand feed veggies/weigh daily/make sure he's eating on his own. The should self correct. I know others will chime in and let me know if I'm wrong, but if I recall correctly, you don't want to trim or he won't be able to pick anything up.

Poor buddy.

Kermie831

Post   » Mon May 07, 2012 9:48 pm

Frankie ran into the wall last week doing zooms, and both his teeth broke below the gum line. One fell out in the waiting room of the vet, and the other was hanging by a thread, so she pulled it out. It's been a week, but they are already starting to grow back. I just put some critical care in the cage, and julienned his veggies. He was able to eat pellets and hay by gumming them back to his molars like Ed.

Weigh him and make sure he is eating, drinking, and pooping. They will grow back and wear like they should. Just keep an eye on him.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Mon May 07, 2012 10:02 pm

He still has four teeth, they're just all different lengths. I'm so frustrated. We just had a good checkup at the vet. I can't even take them to the vet right now because I have a broken car window (the mechanics inside the drivers side door broke in the open position) and the vet is 45 minutes away by highway.

So is lettuce safe if it is cut into strips?

We have no immediate access to critical care right now. One bottom and one top incisor seem to be mostly okay.

Is hay safe?

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Mon May 07, 2012 10:04 pm

Or you can roll it up into little cigars.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Mon May 07, 2012 10:10 pm

Hadn't thought about that. That could be done.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon May 07, 2012 10:18 pm

Ditto on the little cigars and hay will depend on how well he can eat it. He'll let you know.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 07, 2012 11:59 pm

They should grow out fine. Sometimes if there is a bad break (further down), it can take a second growing to do it.

teeth_broken.html

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 08, 2012 2:39 am

Hay is safe. Gently introduce it in the gap on the side between his incisors and his molars. Once back to the molars he should be able to grind it.

Don't force or push. Try using "medium" pieces ... that is, not the softest (he may not understand what you're doing) and not the stalkiest (too easy to injure the inside of his mouth). Somewhere in-between.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue May 08, 2012 2:53 am

We have Kleenmama's bluegrass. When I went to check on them, he was happily eating one strand after another, so he's managing the hay okay. I cut the lettuce into short, thin strips (about 2 inches long and the width of a pencil) and had no handled without any trouble (he still has two incisors that touch).

I feel awful about this. I can't believe the water bottle just...broke. Holy cow.

TWP_2

Post   » Thu May 10, 2012 1:36 pm

Diana emailed me over lunch with the blood test results for Milo.

We're going to take a fecal pellet in for testing Saturday to look for parasites and to see whether the mineral deficiencies/excesses show up there too.

* White blood cells high
* Rbc low
* Phosphorus low
* Glucose high
* Calcium high
* Potassium low
* Cholesterol low

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun May 13, 2012 1:32 am

Josephine, help! ;-)