Soft Stool/Squeaking and Straining While Pooing

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:26 am

I don't know anything about this medication either but sounds like it would be worth trying. The endoscope, it would have to follow all the twists and turns of the digestive tract, no? I think that would be tough.

I added this photo too.

Ech90
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:24 pm

I agree about the endoscopy - I just don't think it's worth the potential risk. So now I guess we will try the Gabapentin. All in all she will be on 3 different painkillers, an anti-inflammatory (Metacam), a narcotic (Tramadol), and an anti-convulsant (Gabapentin). Oy!

Topaz

Post   » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:07 pm

Good thoughts to you guys, Ech. I'm so sorry this awful loose poo stuff continues. You are doing so well. Keep it up. *hugs*

Ech90
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue May 15, 2012 11:06 am

Just wanted to let you guys know what happened to Buttercup. It breaks my heart to tell you that she has gone to the rainbow bridge. I am currently on vacation with my mom and grandparents and she and Piggy were staying with Marci from Have-A-Heart Guinea Pig Rescue in Burlington, NJ. On Friday afternoon Marci called me and said that Buttercup was not doing well. She was having spasms, similar to the twitching in her sleep that I have posted YouTube videos of, except it was lasting for much longer and it was much more intense. She immediately went to pick her up and her body was limp. Buttercup was kicking her legs and struggling to stand up but she couldn't. She didn't want to eat any lettuce and she had drool coming out of her mouth. She passed away later that night.

Buttercup had had a rough few weeks. About a week and a half before, I had rushed her to Penn Vet's Emergency Services on 5/2 because of blood coming out of her anus. She was discharged a few hours later because she was eating, drinking, and acting normally and all of her vitals were stable. The bloody discharge lasted for only that one day and they didn't know what was causing it or where it was coming from.

Also since I had last posted here, Buttercup underwent a trial of Bio-Sponge which did not help at all. She was also receiving eye drops, as per advice of her vet, due to crusty discharge in her left eye.

I will miss Buttercup so much - she was such a special girl and she had so much personality and charisma. She was really skittish and nervous at first, but over the last two months I could really tell that she had started to trust me. I loved her so much and I really hope that I gave her the best possible life for the 6 months she was with me that she could have had. Thank you all so much for your support and advice.

R.I.P Buttercup, I will love you always!

Topaz

Post   » Tue May 15, 2012 11:19 am

I'm so sorry, Ech. I'm sure she could feel your love for her. Rest well, sweet girl.

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Tue May 15, 2012 11:56 am

I am so sorry. RIP little one. Ech you did everything you could.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue May 15, 2012 1:05 pm

I am so sorry. Buttercup had lots of love and happiness in your home during her short time with you. She knew she was cherished.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 15, 2012 10:29 pm

I am so very sorry, Ech90. You put everything into solving her problems. I am so sorry you lost her.

Ech90
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu May 24, 2012 11:19 pm

Thank you all for your condolences. I felt really guilty at first about not being with Bcup when she passed away, but I know that she was in the best possible hands with Marci and that she was peaceful at the end. I know that she is at the rainbow bridge right now with my cat Sally, and that she is making perfect, solid little poops with no pain or discomfort when they come out! I hope this thread can help others in the future and I really appreciated all of your advice and support.

daniellembyrd

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:16 am

Hi there! I know it has been 6 years since your post but I was wondering if you remember Buttercup’s outcome from the long soft mushy poop and back arching and squealing while going??? We are first time guinea pig owners to a beautiful baby girl and she has these exact symptoms (yet seems otherwise completely normal)....wondering what to do to help her??? Would greatly appreciate your advice...thank you!!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:37 am

This thread is old. Your better choice is to start your own thread with more details.