Stones...Kidney removal in an older pig with heart condition

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed May 16, 2012 3:11 pm

Thanks, ElvisTCB. I was going to try to track down Creole's thread for moxiepox today, but work has been insane and I'm just now getting online.

Stones are truly the pits. :(

ElvisTCB

Post   » Wed May 16, 2012 3:31 pm

Here is where I posted Creole's record:

viewtopic.php?t=61285&highlight=

Elise & I do use the same veterinary practice (I recognize you from the CC message board), but I don't know if you specifically use Dr. Horton?

Creole sounds like he was on all the same meds as your Beppo.

moxiepox

Post   » Wed May 16, 2012 4:14 pm

ElvisTCB, yes Dr Horton is our doctor and would be doing the surgery, though we've also seen Dr Moy...both have been great with my boys. I'm sorry to hear you lost Creole, but glad to hear his surgery went well and he had another 7 months with you.

The only options that we have for Beppo are the kidney removal surgery or nothing, but he is in pain even with being on metacam and so NOT an option to us...

Thank you and Charybdis for the links...I'll read over them tonight ( at a conference for work out of town this week, which also isn't helping my anxiety over this )

Fred_and_co

Post   » Wed May 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Would Tramadol be a better painkiller for him? I had Patrick on liquid Tramadol for 4 months, it was a life saver for P.

moxiepox

Post   » Wed May 16, 2012 5:12 pm

Maybe - I will ask!

moxiepox

Post   » Wed May 16, 2012 10:27 pm

Wow, just read through Patrick, Creole, and Tiggy's threads above...and am more hopeful as well as more worried about how his surgery will go :)

Guinea pig surgery seems to be much more complicated and delicate than I thought (not that I thought it was easy!)

Thank you all for giving me the information above, I really appreciate it. I'll post more next week as we learn about his surgery.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 17, 2012 7:45 am

moxiepox

Post   » Thu May 17, 2012 8:38 am

Read the post op Stuff a few weeks back when I thought this might be coming :) thanks, Lynx

Fred_and_co

Post   » Thu May 17, 2012 10:59 am

Do let us know how he gets on, wishing him a very quick recovery.

moxiepox

Post   » Wed May 23, 2012 1:07 pm

Hello, everyone. Beppo's surgery is tomorrow morning. Please wish us luck and send him healing thoughts.

I'll update as I learn more

ElvisTCB

Post   » Thu May 24, 2012 7:52 am

Around five minutes away from where Beppo will be having his surgery, & have both you & him in my thoughts. May his surgery go smoothly, & may he have a speedy recovery.

moxiepox

Post   » Sat May 26, 2012 8:12 pm

Thanks, ElvisTCB. Beppo's kidney was successfully removed and he rested at the vet until this morning, when we were finally able to bring him home.

This morning, he was released because he had pooped overnight and eaten a little bit on his own - we picked him up around 10:30am. As of right now, he still hasn't eaten or pooped for me and when I try to syringe feed him, he tries to spit his critical care out :(

Any ideas? I've tried a million and one different vegetables and fruits, including all of his favorites, but he wants none of it :(