Frost's New Hobby: Barbering

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sun May 13, 2012 2:44 pm

We took in some poop this weekend and come home with antibiotics and probiotics and critical care. Fortunately, Milo is the only pig on the planet that probably likes the Apple Banana flavor.

The vet suggested first doing a fecal check to make sure there aren't any parasites, then doing the antibiotic to see if there is just some sort of low-grade infection.

After that, x-rays and an ultrasound to look for a mass that might be eating up all of the nutrients.

In the meanwhile, Milo likes the antibiotics and is eating and drinking and acting enthusiastic about everything. His teeth have almost completely grown back, which just blows my mind.

I'm off to get baby benedryl for Frost. I think I wrote the dose down wrong, though. I could have sworn the vet said 2 mL, which seems way too much. Maybe it should be 0.2 mL?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun May 13, 2012 3:45 pm

Here is Josephine's recommended Benadryl dose.
"Usually, I err on the side of caution and do 1 mg/#, which is about 2 mg/kg. That's every 8 hours."

I hope Milo continues to improve, and that the Benadryl helps Frost.

TWP_2

Post   » Sun May 13, 2012 4:50 pm

Here's what I've calculated for a dose:

Josephine's 1 mg/lb dose is 2.2 mg/kg.

Children's Benadryl (Equate generic) is 12.5 mg diphenhydramine in every 5mL solution, or 2.5 mg/mL.

Josephine's dose of 2.2 mg/kg divided by 2.5 mg/mL gives a dose of 0.88 mL/kg.

Frost's mass is 0.846 kg today.

His dose then is 0.846 kg * 0.88 mL/kg = 0.75 mL

TWP_2

Post   » Sun May 13, 2012 7:12 pm

We decided to start at a light dose, 0.5 mL, and go from there.

I gave it to him ten minutes ago. He thought it tasted great. About two minutes ago, he yawned, went over to a cuddle cup, cashewed up, and zonked out.

TWP_2

Post   » Sun May 13, 2012 9:57 pm

He had about a 15 minute nap, and was then back out eating hay. I haven't seen him scratching/biting since about 10 minutes after the benadryl dose, so hopefully this is helping.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun May 13, 2012 10:08 pm

I am quietly cheering for Frost (don't want to jinx it), and hoping that the Benadryl continues to help.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 13, 2012 10:34 pm

Cheering here too! Frost is such a great guy.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue May 15, 2012 7:10 pm

I came home at lunch time to give the pigs their meds (Milo his antibiotics, Frost his benedryl) and discovered that at some point in the past day or two, Frost also broke out a tooth!

We have had guinea pigs since 2004. We have NEVER had broken front teeth to contend with before, and now both of our pigs have broken out their front teeth in a matter of weeks. What's more, I haven't found the missing tooth!

What on earth is going on?

TWP_2

Post   » Wed May 16, 2012 8:49 pm

We are getting the impression that Frost's mouth hurts, to the point that he's not showing much interest in drinking from a water bottle.

I can't get the little pooper to show me his lower teeth, but from what I can gently feel through his lip/throat, I think the broken tooth is growing back in, but has a fairly sharp edge.

Has anyone experienced a pig getting sores or irritations in their mouths from a broken tooth?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 16, 2012 9:57 pm

Poor guy! I wonder if one of those oral anesthetics that can be given to teething babies would help him.

TWP_2

Post   » Thu May 17, 2012 10:43 pm

Okay, I took Frost to the vet today (and Milo went along for moral support).

His left lower front tooth is broken off, currently with about a 3-4 mm stub above the gum line. The gum looks irritated but not inflamed (no current sign of infection).

His other teeth were all out of wack, with his uppers looking like a tanto knife blade. The vet trimmed his lower tooth back a little bit, and trimmed the uppers enough to be even across. I discussed my concern about over-trimming, but she was knowledegable about guinea pig teeth.

He's getting metacam for a couple of days to help with pain and reduce swelling, and the vet taught me how to do a front tooth exam. NOT fun, as it feels like I'm going to snap his neck holding his head in place, but it is effective and Frost doesn't seem to have any lasting resentment about having his head manhandled like that.

My instructions are to keep an eye on his gums and the tooth growth, and to report back if there is any sign of infection and/or if his teeth need another trimming.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 17, 2012 11:56 pm

I hope the the teeth grow back okay.