Bouncing Boars

karalianne
Supporter in '12

Post   » Sat May 05, 2012 11:28 am

akintolife, I really am a nerd, that was the Most Important Thing for me to do at the con. It was the primary reason I went. Which is just... really sad, I guess, to some people, but excitingly nerdy at the same time. ;)

Wle312
Guinea Supporter '11

Post   » Sat May 05, 2012 11:44 am

I can't believe Adam West took your picture of Batman! :O That is so freakin awesome!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Wed May 09, 2012 2:36 am

Great chronicle!!

karalianne
Supporter in '12

Post   » Fri May 11, 2012 11:43 pm

I weighed the boys today.

Batman gained 37g in a week. My boy is now 1335g. Not yet square, but getting to where it's hard to feel his spine, so I'm going to cut back on the pellets for the next week and see where that gets us. I picked him up and knew immediately he was heavier than he used to be. Which is hilarious, because he's still lighter than the brothers, and he felt heavier!

Bubble gained 15g. He now weighs 1388g. That's still lower than his highest weight thus far, so I'm not worried about him - well within the realm of normal for him!

Squeak lost 6g. He's still well above his lowest weight, sitting pretty at 1436g (compared to 1419g), but he lost 21g in two weeks (April 19-May 4) last time. With that and his new bald spots (see the latest update to his medical thread), I'm wondering if Bubble is now Top Pig and isn't letting him eat as much as he used to.

They are blissfully unaware of Sandy and H/B, the rescue pigs who are currently living in the TV room in the basement (there is a TV in there, but it is currently on its side on the floor and we do not use it). This is a good thing, since Sandy is a girl and the brothers would probably start really fighting then.

No picture today, as I have been so busy with Sandy that I didn't have time to do any photos at all. Hopefully next week I will have lots of photos to share. I hope to capture Batman with his morning veggie bowl at some point, too, because it is really funny. He actually digs through to find his carrot (he knows he always gets a baby carrot with his breakfast). Doesn't matter what else is in the bowl or what's on top, he finds it!

karalianne
Supporter in '12

Post   » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:01 am

Saturday everyone (sans Sandy) got to go outside and play together! It was a roaring success, and I am more certain than ever that Bubble would really prefer to live alone, and that Batman and Squeak might be best buds someday soon.

I set up a pen in the yard and used cage tops as walls in a few places. I used kitchen twist ties to hold things together temporarily. This photo is before I got the sheet set up to provide them with shade - don't worry, I didn't leave them in the sun for long!

Bubble's first action (after he said hi to H/B) was to check the perimeter and see if he could get out of the pen by going under the grids. What a stinker! He didn't succeed, of course.

When I got the sheet set up, everyone congregated underneath it. They were hilarious.

The little guy seemed kinda lonely, so I did eventually take him out of his solitary confinement and let him go hang with the big boys. I was apprehensive, but stayed close (in the pen) so I could rescue him if necessary. Happily, it wasn't necessary! Eventually I decided he needed a break from all the rumbling (and from Bubble getting snarky whenever he got close) and put him back in his cage top. Batman proceeded to come and talk to him, so I left the door open and Batman figured out how to go say hi in person. Squeak followed pretty soon afterward. What was really funny was that Squeak mounted Batman a LOT but that was the only mounting that happened the whole time. And every time it happened Batman had this look on his face like, "WHAT just happened to me?!?!?"

Bubble mostly stayed in the first cage lid, but he did come say hi at one point and even went in for a little while. He really is a loner, though.

After all that rumbling, the three boys needed a rest. They all laid down and got comfy together.

When I brought them all back indoors, they flaked out in their cages and got lots of rest. They were obviously exhausted.

We did have to perform minor surgery on Batman, as he wound up with a tick on his ear. Nobody else got one this time, though!

Videos of the fun:

Part I -

Part II -

Part III -

Part IV -

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:04 am

How cute! First picture, I kept thinking, "WARNING WARNING WARNING - NO COVER!!". I almost think the picture should have a written warning on it! ("Photo taken before shade cover applied") Glad you clarified that but I still worried!

karalianne
Supporter in '12

Post   » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:27 pm

Good idea, Lynx! I will add that to the description over on Flickr. :)

karalianne
Supporter in '12

Post   » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:33 pm

There. Not sure if/when the new version will show up in the post, but I found out that Flickr has added a photo editor, so I put some text on the photo and added some info in the description.

Bubble says hi to the little guy (H/B) by JannaLou, on Flickr

"Guinea pigs should NEVER be outside without someplace to go for shade - the sun can cause serious problems for them! I added a sheet over the cage tops, and you can see that in some of the later photos from this group."

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:42 pm

Cool! I felt like a worried mommy!

karalianne
Supporter in '12

Post   » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:29 pm

You can check out Batman's and Squeak's medical threads for info on that. I am updating the chronicle to share some Batman cuteness!

This morning I brought the boys their veggies, and when I opened Batman's cage lid I was greeted by this:

Here is Batman's breakfast veggies from today:

And here is a video of him doing what he always does when I give him his breakfast:

And, of course, Batman just being his lovely (round) self:

Nemo

Post   » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:53 pm

Cute video! I have the same green bowls as you, although Nemo loves to tip it over right after I put pellets in, they must taste better if they are eaten from the ground.

Is that Batman wheeking in the video or is that one of the other pigs?

karalianne
Supporter in '12

Post   » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:46 pm

That would be H/B wheeking in the video. I call him the little guy (he's about five months old and passed the 1000 g mark a couple of weeks ago). He's a foster we may have found a home for. He's funny because he has such a loud and deep squealy voice compared to the other boys, who have the more typical wheeky whistle!

I really like those bowls. Sometime I'll have to get a photo of Batman eating out of them. He likes to lie down with his head in the bowl. Nothing like relaxing while enjoying a snack!