Moving, think I will need to find a new home for my pig :(

z123carleigh

Post   » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:43 pm

I currently have 4 guinea pigs, one of which, Elliott, does not get along with the other. He has injured one of the other pigs so badly that I am afraid to try to have them together. This has not been a problem until now. I am moving to Hawaii, and will need to take my pigs on an airplane. To take them on carry-on requires me to put them all in one carrier that fits under my seat. To have more than one carrier, which I would need, would require me to check one. I am terrified to let my guinea pigs ride in the baggage hold. I am afraid it will traumatize them, especially Elliott, as he is extremely sensitive. I have managed to make his environment just perfect for him so he feels safe and calm, and I think it would be cruel to put him through a traumatizing situation like that. But I also don't want to put the other 3 in the baggage hold instead, either. It's a 15 hour flight, and they will not be attended to in the baggage hold. Does anyone have any ideas, or possibly might want to adopt him? I really don't know what to at this point, and that seems like the kindest thing to do for Elliott. Here are some pictures of him:

I live in Richmond, VA. I am willing to travel up to Northern VA, as well.

Kermie831

Post   » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:14 pm

When are you moving?

z123carleigh

Post   » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:07 am

I am moving right at the beginning of August.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:49 am

Are you making the flight with anyone else, or going alone?

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:02 am

What airline is allowing to take them in the cabin? I've never know any airline that will allow you to take guinea pigs on board. Small dogs/cats, yes, but nothing else.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:30 am

You might be able to create a divider in your carryon cage if you had to though it does sound like a long flight.

z123carleigh

Post   » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:59 pm

Mkkayla, you're right, I won't be able to take them into the cabin with me. I must have read that somewhere by mistake. Either way, I don't think I would want Elliott in the baggage, I think it would be bad for him. As well, my boyfriend and I are not getting an apartment but sharing a room in someone else's home, and he is worried about finding a place that will allow them all. He says he can probably find a place that will let us have one cage of animals, but he thinks that two large cages would not be possible. Also, we are not flying over together, he is going a month early and cannot take the animals with him.

In the chance that I could take Elliott, how bad do you think being in the baggage would be for him? He is an extremely skittish, perpetually freaked out pig. For months and months we had to move very slowly and deliberately around his cage because he would freak out, and every time we had to rebuild the cage in another way, it would take him about a month to adjust and be calm again.

z123carleigh

Post   » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:08 pm

My boyfriend tells me he has gotten our living situation figured out. He says we will not be able to have two cages there, and he definitely does not want to more Elliott over.

Kermie831

Post   » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:03 pm

Ok, give me the weekend to figure things out, but I have a home for Elliot by me.

But I'm in NJ, so I have to arrange transport for him.

z123carleigh

Post   » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:50 pm

Kermie831, if you could take Elliott, that would be awesome. I'd love to have somebody knowledgeable to take care of him.

emilyam19

Post   » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:11 am

I might be able to help with transportation. I'll be in Richmond (Chester, VA) next month around June 30 (I'll need to double check that though) and after that the boyfriend will be driving up to northern NJ a few days later. We could pick Elliot up during that time period, whenever it's convenient. He said he would be happy to drive Elliot up on his way back and drop him off if that works out for you guys. I'd be able to give you a firm date for when he drives up once he finds out how much leave he's able to take.

Kermie831

Post   » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:36 pm

That would be fantastic! (Where in North Jersey is he headed?)