Boars Behaving Badly II

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:50 am

ARGH I have two boys who had stinky stinky bums. Looks like I will be anal sack cleaning for the first time and I have no idea how?

Any suggestions? Tips? Advice?

I have mineral oil (heavy), I always have some on hand for skin issues with my family.

PrairieFlower

Post   » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:49 pm

eschimpf, I had no idea they had anal sacs until you mentioned it! I'll be watching this thread so I can learn with you.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:03 pm

Somebody on this forum did two videos about a year or so ago. Here's one of them: http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd12 ... 0_7765.mp4

PrairieFlower

Post   » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:04 pm

I just went and read about them and watched the video. It doesn't seem too bad.

Should it be done regularly, or only if they develop a problem?
Last edited by PrairieFlower on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:08 pm

Oh thank goodness I did it right. LOL Well I didn't wrap my boys, they hate that. I just sat them upright against me. I also cleaned their penises for the first time. Both sacks and penises were not that bad, though I have three boys who are NOT talking to me right now.

PrairieFlower

Post   » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:15 pm

I checked Jack's out of curiosity and it was a little icky. I have a pig who isn't speaking to me or my husband right now.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:13 am

Uhm, boarly question. Mouse occasionally leaves tiny spots of glue around, which I find when I wash his fleece. This morning, there was a glob of what LOOKED like glue in his cage, but it was about the size of a dime, and the actual glob was there, instead of just remnants. I took pictures (ew!) and then removed it, it was pretty hard, not all dried, but was solid-er than putty or anything. After I took it out, he started picking at the fleece right there, like he would have eaten it if I had not taken it. (Sick!)

Has anyone else had boar-glue spots this big? I have never seen one that large, and why would he eat it?!

violagirl3

Post   » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:42 pm

Neo has definitely left waaaay bigger boar glue markings than that in the past. Just be grateful you are not trying to remove it from another pig's hair!

ETA: I have probably cursed myself by saying this. I hope I'm not spending my evening cutting spoot out of Bartleby's fur, although it wouldn't be the first time.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:12 pm

Ugh, as nasty as that is, I'm glad that that's normal. I don't know what else it could be. Definitely wasn't mucus - too thick/solid. All his other spots have not been "raised" globs if you will, just little spots on the fleece that were flat.

Piggywig

Post   » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:42 pm

Yes, they do leave bigger. As to why they would eat it, who knows why boars do anything? Thankfully they do this sometimes though, it has saved me from having to go after some big spots with scissors before. The joys of boars!

Rattat

Post   » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:15 pm

I have a young boar (cage mate and brother to my little lethal) who is behaving badly. He has chewed all the pretty leopard duct tape off of the cage, he has chewed the coroplast to the point chunks are missing and constantly tries to steal all the good greens for himself. He would be the school child that was in the principles office all day. He has so much built up energy. But, this makes sense because his daddy is a super energized hell raiser as well (He was from the shelter and since he was so aggressive I adopted out to a friend who only wanted a single pig). He is about 4 months old, so boys bows are pretty tiny plus they are in a 4x2 so they do have room to move around. Sometimes he just runs the cage is circles like a mad man.

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:27 pm

I thought I would be smart and try again to get the boys to love each other.

Romeo was picked on by both Reko and Mojo the whole time.

Reko and Mojo tried to kill each other and have nice wounds. I had to pin each of them with my hands (one in each) because I could not get them away from each other long enough to grab the crates.

I used the most neutral ground I could think of, a HUGE (3x4 rounded out) pen outside on the grass. No hide aways, nothing (it was 8PM and shaded). I give up. I have three boars who can not live together. AND on top of that I now have two wounds to care for. *grumbles something about males*