Sick Pig :'( Please reply

Sarahpiggies

Post   » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:51 am

Pixie passed away in my arms last night at 1.55am. I tried everything I could - she was no longer swallowing anything or fighting against the syringe like she normally did :( everything just dribbled out of her mouth :( I held her and tried to keep her warm and calm.

She didn't deserve to go so early and I can't help but blame myself - I know we don't know if it was the antibiotic for sure but I have a horrible feeling it was ;'(

RIP my sweet Pixie xxxx

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:11 am

Godspeed and safe passage, Pixie. You are loved and we will always remember you.

Sarah, I'm really, really sorry, for Pixie and for you.

Please be *sure* to tell the vet that what they did killed your pig. Don't mince words, and be sure to give them Pfizer's site. If you can help prevent them doing it again, then Pixie will not have died in vain.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:13 am

I'm so sorry.

BamBam

Post   » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:31 am

Sarah, please take Talishan's very good advice and ensure that the vet and his/her practice are fully aware. Write to the senior partner and make it clear that you are doing so to enusre that the mistake is never made again.

I know it will be the last thing on your mind now but the life of other pigs may be saved.

I am so sorry you have had to go through this.

BamBam

Post   » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:31 am

Sarah, please take Talishan's very good advice and ensure that the vet and his/her practice are fully aware. Write to the senior partner and make it clear that you are doing so to enusre that the mistake is never made again.

I know it will be the last thing on your mind now but the life of other pigs may be saved.

I am so sorry you have had to go through this.

Sarahpiggies

Post   » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:54 am

Thank you Talishan and BamBam - thats what I intend to do, if there is anything good to come out of all of this its that other piggies and owners might be saved from going through the same thing.

The sickening thing is that one of the reasons I chose the vets was because of this on their website: "Special care for rabbits, guinea pigs and hamsters".

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:59 am

You may save the lives of some rabbits and hamsters, then, too, as well as other guinea pigs, and save a great deal of heartache for their owners.

Take your time to grieve, as much as you need to. But do contact them. Anyone who advertises as such and doesn't know (or care) that certain classes of antibiotics may not be used in several species should lose their license in my opinion.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:12 am

Sarahpiggies, I’m so sorry for your loss.

Please don’t blame yourself. Pixie’s death was not your fault. You did everything you could for her. You took her for medical care when she needed it and you lovingly syringe-fed her when she was ill. You were not the one who went to vet school. There was no way you could have known about the injection. Although Pixie’s life was cut short, you filled it with love while she was here on earth and that is the most important thing.

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:27 am

I was going to say the same thing Catie Cavy did. This was NOT your fault. You did everything a good guinea pig caretaker could do.

I am so sorry for you loss.

Lana

Post   » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:44 am

I am so sorry. Unfortunately, I've been in your position where the vet I chose did not provide proper treatment, and my pig(s) subsequently died. I know the guilt you are suffering, but it isn't your fault. You made the best decision you could at the time. It's not like you sat back and did nothing, and just let her suffer and die. You did everything in your power to save her. It is the first vet who failed. Not you.

This vet's 'mistake' is so grave, that I think you should report him to the vet regulatory body in the UK. They promoted themselves as a clinic that treats guinea pigs, then gave a pig a drug that is known to be toxic to them. Absolutely no excuse - this isn't even lack of research... he didn't follow basic protocols.

My take-away from these horrible experiences was to do a lot of research before I go to the vet. Even though I have a fantastic vet now, I still do research before I go in to see her, so we can discuss all aspects of the problem and potential treatments.

I ask a lot of questions, and I question every single thing they want to do. Some of these vets disliked me for giving them the 3rd degree, but I didn't care. It was about saving my critter.

That's how I choose my current vet - she puts her ego aside and is willing to admit if she doesn't know something or if she has limited experience with a certain problem. There have been mistakes, but we learned from them and moved forward.

By asking the questions, it makes the vet rethink what they are doing.

"Is this drug safe for pigs? - Are you absolutely sure it is safe for pigs? How often do you prescribe it for pigs?" (Then outline that a lot of the most common antibiotics are toxic for pigs - and make them verify that it is safe for pigs. Better yet, print out toxic medication list from this site too). I find by doing this, they know that you will be a squeaky wheel if anything goes wrong and then they try harder - if for the only reason that they don't want you to come back and make their life miserable through complaints to regulatory bodies etc.

I make them come up with two other alternatives for treatment. I don't care if they have to disappear for 30 minutes while they consult their medical books, and visit the vet forums for information.

My vet was willing to do this - she brought in her laptop to the exam room and we go through these vet-only forums together when presented with a difficult problem. She is also impressed with GuineaLynx and has come here to read the sticky topics to read the anecdotal posts, and do see what other vets are doing. No vet can know everything, but they have to be willing to explore other options than the one they presented - this is how I weed out undesirable vets.

It's too late for Pixie - I am so sorry. But you did the best that you could at the time. Learn from this and arm yourself with info with future vet visits with your other pigs. And report the first vet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:05 am

I am so terribly sorry you lost her.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:05 pm

I'm sorry you lost her too especially since it's due to vet incompetence. Rest well sweet baby.