Hay Poke, probably not a serious problem but still...

CharmeC

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:29 am

Going Merry already lost her appetite when we got her to the vet on Saturday. She's currently on Baytril and Lasix. I started syringe feeding her Critical Care since yesterday. She's resistant to eating the mixture, even after I mixed in apple sauce and blueberry. By tonight even with syringe feeding she doesn't seem to even want to go through the motion of swallowing and at one point she almost fainted in the middle of feeding. I wonder if the Baytril is aggravating her anorexia?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:04 am

It sounds like she is having a terribly difficult time if she cannot swallow. Baytril can certainly affect appetite. This could be something else though.

CharmeC

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:16 pm

One good sign is she's still passing poop, although malshaped. I worry about her not eating hay though. At the moment her incisors still seem a normal length, but I wouldn't think that eating soft mushy Critical Care has any effect on wearing the growing teeth down.

Jazzbox

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:23 pm

Going Merry died at 3.32PM, about 45 minutes ago. She was lying in her sequestration box, and then crawled into a corner and suddenly began having seizures, made several cries of distress, and then ceased her struggles. She was 4 years old. Having looked at the Heart page here, it seems that guinea pigs with heart trouble often die at this young age.

Both Charme and I are quite upset. She was our second guinea pig, adopted when she was about 6 months old, so it is fair to say that she did a considerable part of her growing up with us. We had her with us for approximately 3 1/2 years.

Not only was she a very striking looking pig, but she was very intelligent. She was not very sociable, and not very aggressive - for which reason she was low pig on the totem pole.

She had one little habit that always made us laugh: whenever we put a bowl of food out, she would always grab the rim of the dish between her teeth and pull it towards her, so as to make sure that she didn't get cheated out of her fair share of the treats! She also did this even if no one else was around - thereby showing an ability to plan for the future (which is, I am compelled to say, an ability that not even all people have)!

Although it is tempting to say that we will always love her and always remember her, the truth is that we love all our animals and miss them all. And though she certainly never knew this in life, we can only hope that now she will know how much we love her.

Charme and I and of course Going Merry too would like to thank everyone who participated in this thread; we are grateful for your help.

Thanks to all.

And thanks to Going Merry too, for the time she spent with us.

Blue Chaos

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:31 pm

I am so, so sorry for your loss.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:33 pm

I am so sorry you lost her. You did all you could. I just wish she was not so ill.

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:26 am

How very sad. I am sorry to hear that you lost her.

CharmeC

Post   » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:44 pm

Thank you so much to everyone for your condolences and concern since the beginning of her thread. It's not the same at home without Going Merry, miss her very much...

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:41 pm

Oh no, I am so very sorry CharmeC and Jazzbox :(

Going Merry was so beautiful and had such a great life with you! She will keep a watchful eye over her friends, both human and fury.

*hugs*

Guineaspot

Post   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:31 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:25 am

I am so sorry, also.

rjespicer

Post   » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:00 pm

I am sorry you lost her.
RIP Going Merry.