Moving to Germany

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:47 pm

I am moving to Germany (as the title implies) in about a month and I am in desperate need of help finding a way to get my guinea pigs to me in Germany. First I am having trouble finding an airline to ship my piggies on, most airlines aren't taking any animals to Germany for at least a year for some reason. I contacted Lufthansa and they will take them but I have to arrange their flight through a third party that is charging me as much in fees (if not more) as the price of the flight (the flight is $550, but total it would be $1190!!!) Then when I get to Germany I have no way to pick them up as they will fly into Frankfurt and we are flying into Ramstein air base. If any body has any tips/advice it would be very helpful. If anybody in Germany could help I would be forever in your debt (wouldn't it be nice to have a personal slave for awhile!) We are getting close and I have had a hard time find help or resources.

seraphanjil

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:06 pm

You will definitely want to talk to Feylin. She brought her tortoise to Germany with her.

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:13 pm

How do I find/get in contact with her?

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:16 pm

I'll tell her on FB, but she documented everything on a thread here.

Feylin

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:29 pm

Hi!

We are living right near Ramstein, in Kaiserslautern. My husband works on Ramstein. Welcome to the area. :)

Are you guys military?I'm assuming, since you are flying in to the base. There should be contacts for you, and they have excellent information about this. Military gets some deals and exceptions made for them that us civillians don't get. I'm not exactly sure who you talk to about this, but my military friends say they used resources within the military to ship pets.

I used United to ship my tortoise through the petsafe program. It was AWESOME. The flight was about $600, so that's right on. You should NOT have to do it through a third party. SOmeone didn't tell you the right info. Unless you will have more than one carrier? That would start to get more expensive.

Animals cannot go in the plane on international flights. They have to go in cargo or in designated pet holds. Lufthansa and United have designated pet holds, which are climate controlled and monitored. USAirways does not take pets at ALL, and they hold the contract to fly military dependents right now.

You will only need a health certificate from a USDA vet here in the US to get on the plane. That's about $50 for all the fees. You must get it 10 days before you fly out. When you get to Germany, they will help you get the health certificate for entering the country. It's complicated, but be patient and polite and the people will tell you exactly which building to go to next to get all your forms stamped and paid for.

Frankfurt is about 2hrs from us. There is a train that goes directly to the airport that costs about 20 Euro. You can get on it from Landsthul or Kaiserslautern- it's a nice ride. You can use it to pick up the pigs that way, if you like. Pigs can totally ride the trains, you just buy them a companion animal ticket. It's about $10 euro per carrier. You can take a taxi from the base to either of those trainstations.

The Frankfurt Airport has an animal lounge and the workers there are nice kind animal people. I had a problem with paperwork (the tortoise is counted as a threatened species, it was complicated) and they took care of my tortoise for 6 extra hours. If you have to, you can have them basically pet sit for you. It's about 50euro per 24hrs but they will feed and care for the pigs.

If all else fails I can totally drive you. I know exactly how you're feeling! Call United and ask them about the Pet Safe Program and then let me know if you want to take the train to Frankfurt or if you want a ride. Or if you want me to go with you to help get the pigs out of customs- it was pretty nuts to navigate all those departments and offices in a foreign language. My German is basic but it will help, since not everyone there spoke English.

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:33 pm

OMG, I love you!!!! Yes we are military my husband is Army and we are to be stationed at Landstuhl. My vet is a USDA vet and can do their health certs to fly, I just have no clue where to start. We have 3 dogs, one is a service dog who will fly in the cabin, which sould be fun as he is 140#'s!!! But the other two are already booked and good to go on our flight. We are flying patriot express, but they do't fly any other animals but dogs and cats. That's where my problem was. I haven't called United, just delta and lufthansa, however I have spoken to pet shippers (who want $3500) to ship one medium dog crate with my three little guys in it, most do way more than I need. I was just freaking about how to collect the pigs from Frankfurt. I would really hate to put you out and ask you to drive me to the airport.

Feylin

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:00 pm

Don't go through pet shippers- they're essentially a scam the way they overcharge. Call United directly and ask about the petsafe program. Seriously- they are wonderful. They will walk you through each of the steps, tell you just how to do the carrier, everything.

Don't, whatever you do, fly the pigs on Delta. They have a very poor track record in flying animals.

You will love Landstuhl- it's a cute little town with lots of buildings left intact after WWII. There's even a medieval castle on the hill over the town! You can tour and its' been really well preserved.

Don't worry about the offer of a ride, seriously. It's not a problem and I know exactly how your'e feeling about being in a new country and trying to make sure the pets are safe.

You can take that airport train if you like. the RTT travel office in the BX on Ramstein will set it all up for you. It's right near the airport where you'll land! You could just walk across the street, buy your tickets, then walk through the BX to the front and there's taxies there that would take you to the train station.

OR, I can drive you. Totally up to you. :)

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:33 pm

I have my flight for my Piggies book with United!!! $600 after taxes and all that good stuff! The lady didn't see that I had to do anything weird to my kennel (they will be going in a medium dog crate. I may take you up on the offer to drive me (I will have to compensate you for your time and effort and all your help) simply because my husband doesn't want me traveling through a strange country that I have been in for less than 48 and don't speak any german (yet). He is being all papa bear. GOsh I am so relieved, I was getting scared I would have to re-home my babies. At least I can get them to Frankfurt at this point!!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:00 pm

Feylin is great! I met her, what, a year ago? And her lovely quirky tortoise too!

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:17 pm

I am now super excited. I think it is going to be awesome having people in Germany with similar interests!! I am so relieved, I have been struggling with this for over a month now.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:32 pm

Feylin can definitely get you "wired in". She's a good person to know! While Feylin is American, we do have German members here also.

To help put your mind at ease during your stay - most Germans speak English. It's my understanding the kids have to take at least one other language while in school and most of them elect to take English. It will make it easier for you.

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:13 am

SO I am hoping! As I am a big fan of Band of Brothers (the HBO mini series) and the only German I know if from that show and will most likely be the opposite of useful to me!