Moving to Germany

Feylin

Post   » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:37 pm

I'm finding that it is NOT true that most Germans will speak English with me. One of the following happens:

-They think their English is not good enough. It is, but they are sure it isnt and insist they can't speak English. So I inflict my very basic German on them until they get frustrated and use their English.

-They simply don't know English. People over the age of about 40 just didn't get it in school. I dont know enough about the school system here to know why.

-And then there's the bizarre situation in our area. There's over 50,000 Americans here. Not all of them act politely when off base. The Germans get understandably frustrated dealing with people who are entitled jerks, and won't deal with any of us. They lie and say they can't speak English because the last 3 people to talk to them were obnoxious.

So...I guess about half the people you meet will speak great English.

Either way- there's great German classes on Ramstein through the community center. $80 for 9 weeks of 3 classes per week for conversational German. That's how I got my basic language. I can be polite and ask directions/help and talk to people in stores or restaurants. I need to learn it better, but it's good enough until I have time for a proper class from the Volksschule.

Let me know when you want to go get the pigs. I work at the School Age program on Vogelweh base, but I can get a day off whenever. Email me through the mailer here and I"ll send you my contact info. :)

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:11 pm

Thank you so much. I get there on the 30th of September around 2:00pm German time. I am so thankful!

Baba

Post   » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:14 pm

Feylin: I want to weigh in my 5 cents. The reason why not all Germans over 40 might not speak English is, that it was entirely depended on the school attended. I describe myself carefully as over 50 now but UHU (under hundred) and back then there was only one option to learn English - after school and only with parents permission. There was no English in Ground or Middle School only in Gymnasium. It is very different now but back then not much of a choice.

It would be the same to ask Americans why they don't speak in general a second language ;-). Yes English is the most popular language, but to speak a second one can't hurt.

It all depends on each others will to go a tiny step towards each other and at least we all have hand and feet to speak with - haven't we?

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:23 pm

True Baba. A smile is universal.

I keep forgetting the difference between being stationed in an area with a large American presence and living in a small village and being the only Americans. My then husband was attached to NATO and not "just Air Force". Big difference.

Baba

Post   » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:41 am

Bugs Mom - one short story during my professional life in Germany:
I worked in Darmstadt (30 km south of Frankfurt/Main) and
lived in Griesheim (25 km south of Frankfurt/Main - in the high towers by the Autobahn). The Stars & Stripes magazine was
printed in Griesheim and quite some soldiers were stationed
there.
Anyway one day an Army Seargent with a swivel chair came in our office. He didn't speak German, I a bit of conversational English. After "Guten Tag" from him he pointed to the chair he had obviously a problem with. By all means we didn't know what he wanted, so he made gestures that the chair was dysfunctional. My colleagues and I had still only question marks on our faces, so he pointed to the chair and played an attempt to sit on it. After doing that he made a noise like a rocket and pointed to the ceiling.
What did he want? The gas spring height adjustment was
busted and elevated everybody who wanted to sit on this
chair right through the ceiling.
We all had a good laugh (not about each other, with each other) and after this funny adventure he deserved a cup
of coffee.
Needless to say he always liked to come to us.

This was a long time ago and I must still smile about my
foolish English language adventures. Sorry for my typos
but it is late and I have to feed my oinky tenants.

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:06 am

Haha, that is a good story. I know no German. We were stationed in Miami (WORST PLACE EVER!!!) needless to say when we hit spain I am set!!!

Feylin

Post   » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:22 am

Just to be clear. I don't expect Germans to speak English. If I did, I wouldn't be in classes to learn German. ;).

Lots of Americans Like to tell one another that language is not an issue, don't worry, everyone speaks English, ect..... Assuming that people know our language. They don't. Or they don't want to speak it to you.

That's all fine.

( I don't know enough about the school systems here. Only that they are quite different from US schools. And that there's been some major changes with requirements that are part of why older people didn't have languages in school.)

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:14 pm

Feylin, reiterate the information about the PetSafe program to the OP. She mentioned she didn't have to do anything special to the crate. Make sure she knows about posting feeding requirements, emergency contact info, etc. I know Lois had more specialized needs than guinea pigs do but I would hate for something to be overlooked during their travel.

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Thank you slavetofuzzy. I have spoken to United directly and they told me that they don't need a special crate or anything else special (as in we don't have to build a weird wood crate or put wire mesh in the holes of the crate) . We bought these bags that hang on to the side of the crate to hold food and hay. We got the live animal stickers to label the crate with. They got a special water bottle that will hook onto the crate from the outside. I followed all the regs. They just don't have any special crate requirements.

Feylin

Post   » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:52 pm

Sept is the PERFECT time to fly. Not too hot, not too cold. You don't have to alter the cage for temp. I do remember that pigs don't need the wire mesh (don't ask me why. The carrier mods weren't rational).

However, I would totally call the shipping folks and ask THEM how the carrier should be. Whoever you're going to hand the carrier off to before you get on the plane. Whatever they say will go. You don't want to find out that the lady behind the desk thinks you need burlap on the air vents or whatever. That happened to me!

Write emergency contact info for someone in the US AND someone in Germany. I put it in sharpie on the carrier. You need this so someone can make decisions for the pigs if planes are delayed or whatever. If you don know anyone ingermany yet, you can use me.

I don't know how old your pigs are or if they are heart pigs. The ride is going to be long and very scary. My pigs are seniors and the stress was not worth it for them- they live with another member here now and didn't make the trip.

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:17 pm

I got all the bases cover except a contact in Germany. I am probably going to call 500 times to confirm shipping requirements (which ever i the most popular instruction I am going with! haha) I got this cool water bottle and a cool bin feeder/hay rack in one that is huge!!! I am going to put a big lap pad type thing in the bottom and a couple cozy sack type things too.
I am not 100% on the ages as they are rescues but they are all under a year for sure (the vets guess my oldest pig is about 9/10 months, my middle pig is around 7 months, and my youngest ist around 5 months) but except for my oldest pig they are all super healthy. My oldest is prone to ear infections. He has had 2 so far.

Blue Chaos

Post   » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:47 am

Make sure oldest pig is free from an ear infection before his flight. Flying with an ear infection is miserable.