ongoing URI, A/B's not working??

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:24 am

It really shouldn't take 3-4 weeks, but it will take a while.

First, they have to grow enough of the bacteria to be able to test them with antibiotics. Then they test with different strengths of different antibiotics to see what works the best, or not at all. Things grow at the rate they grow -- there's no hurrying them. But you're usually looking at a few days, not weeks.

grace505

Post   » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:44 am

bpatters, faster would be better! So will it come back saying use THIS drug at THIS strength, or the different strengths is just a part of their testing to see what meds work best? Thanks!

NOTE: To clarify my above post, i meant the Gentamycin was harsh on the kidneys/liver, not nebulizing in general, badly worded, i'm sorry!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:59 pm

It's just part of the testing. They have (or they used to) little disks, like paper dot about the size of a capital O on here, that are impregnated with different antibiotics in different strengths. They grow the bacteria on plates, and then sprinkle the dots on the bacteria colonies. The bacteria die around the disks that have an antibiotic that's effective on them, and not around the others.

Of course, it's been many years since I did that, and they may have a whole new way of doing it now. But you'd think it would be faster, rather than slower, if that's the case.

Lana

Post   » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:37 pm

Youi're getting a culture? Finally! It should take a week, not four weeks...

Gentamycin and baytril might do the trick given your pig responds to baytril. You have now ruled out cipro. And no, do not mix baytril and cipro.

grace505

Post   » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:27 am

Lana, i know, right? I knew you'd be happy! One week would be great! The Cipro was just too cheap ($4.50) not to try before i went and spent 200 dollars for the culture. I'm just waiting for his breathing to be better on the Baytril/Doxy in case they have to sedate him. I'll let everyone know when it happens and what the results are, though!

grace505

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:00 am

Lana, you said to get a nebulizer that had a particle size less than 5mm. The ones i saw list particle size in microns, like three microns, etc. Looking at a converter online, it says that one micron equals .001 mm, does that sound right? I just wanted to make sure i'm looking for the right thing.

You also stated that for the Gentamycin in the nebulizer it's 1 ml Gentamycin and 3 ml saline, do i run it till empty? I've read threads that talk about running it till the cup is empty plus ten extra minutes, but you were saying turn it on and off after a good steam is built up, could you clarify? Do you mean build a good steam, turn off, let steam dissapate a little, turn it on, build steam, let it dissapate, over and over till gone?

Any other advice on nebulizing besides the info on water logged veggies and fruits to help dilute through the kidneys? Thanks!

Lana

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:03 am

mm = microns

No point running the nebulizer if the cup is empty. I suggest turning it off and on so you're not wasting meds.

Plug the nebulizer into a powerbar, and use the powerbar to turn it off and on so you're not breaking the switch on the nebulizer (I did this with my first one).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:09 am

I like the power bar option. Comes in handy for other applications too!

grace505

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:58 am

Lana, are there other meds to be nebulized besides the ones you listed either in your thread or someone else's: Gentamycin, Tobermycin and Amikacin? I believe i've read Baytril as well.

Thank you for the power bar idea, it's a great one! I don't think they meant leave it running after the cup it empty, i think they meant like leaving the pig sitting in the mist for ten minutes after the meds are gone, but i could be misinterpreting that.

I read your thread and was sorry to hear of all the heartache you've gone through with your pigs. It hadn't been updated since March, i think, but it sounds like things have settled out, is that true? I hope so!

grace505

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:16 pm

Can anyone tell me what a good nebulizer brand is? I'm looking at these two models but don't really know the first thing about what's good and what's not.

http://justnebulizers.com/omron-compair ... -c801.html

http://justnebulizers.com/pari-trek-s-c ... -pack.html

They also sell saline vials but is that something that you can just buy at, say, Walgreens or Walmart? Do you need a prescription for it? I've seen regular saline, but they seem to be more for rinsing contacts, is there some specifically for nebulizers or is sterile saline, sterile saline? Thanks!

grace505

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:03 pm

So i'm a COMPLETE dork and just realized i could Google to find out about nebulizing and saline. Some pages state you can make your own saline solution and gives the amount of salt to water, etc. Does anyone do this? I'm still interested on any advice on the best place to buy the saline solution, though. Thanks!

grace505

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:12 pm

Culture is set for Wed, Sept. 12th! I'm crossing my fingers!!