Moving to Germany

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:24 am

I know flying sick is never fun. He is getting better and we have around a month until we fly. I really hope he is over the ear infection by then!!!!

Feylin

Post   » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:32 pm

Sounds like your pigs will be perfectly fine!

You might want to NOT include the sacks in there. Pigs will jam themselves in those beds and overheat. If they want to hide, they can dig under the fleece.

Also, I found that it was best to not put anything in the carrier I couldn't lose or throw out. The Lufthansa people threw out the towel in Lois' carrier because it had poop and banana smeared all over it in a complete mess. They washed her and put a new towel in for me, but my towel was gone. I'd hate for you to lose nice pig beds.

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:32 pm

Good point! I will just use some old fleece then. I hope my piggies will do well.

Feylin

Post   » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:41 pm

Just an update- Piggiesnpuppies and I are all set to pick up her pigs in Frankfurt on Oct 1st! :)

I'll write down the gates and buildings we have to go to and post it here for future reference.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:23 pm

How very cool!

I think it is very neat you can (and are willing to) help her, Feylin!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:13 pm

Horray! Feylin-you rock!!

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:18 pm

I was SUPER SUPER SUPER (did I mention super) thankful for everything. It was so helpful. It is going to be less than $700 to ship all three from Baltimore to Houston, stay overnight in Houston, fly out in the afternoon in Houston and land in Frankfurt!!! I thank everyone for their help. Any tips on easy road transport would be welcome (we have a 3 day drive to Baltimore)!

Kelsie

Post   » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:47 pm

Baba, thank you for bringing me back to some happy memories. I lived in Darmstadt while my husband was stationed there. I absolutely loved it. It's been a few years since I've thought about those days and seeing Darmstadt mentioned again just filled me with joy remembering the town and all the wonderful people that I knew there.

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:59 pm

Well we leave tomorrow for Germany, we got everyone cleared by the vet and the USDA and the piggies' flight leaves at 5:30. We leave at 1 am. This is going to be fun.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:06 pm

The piggies may have a rough plane ride -- we've got storms in the Houston area tonight. But it will also be cooler, which is a good thing. Hope all goes well for you and the pigs.

Lana

Post   » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:22 pm

Just saw this tread. And saw Landstuhl mentioned. I was born on the base ;-)

I hope all goes well, and I'm glad you have someone there to help greet the pigs. Please update us on your experience with the FlySafe program.

In Canada, dogs & cats can fly in the cabin on international flights. At least they could on Lufthansa. My friend had his cat in the cabin for a flight to The Netherlands. However, I yet to find an airline that will allow any other pet in the cabin (other than dogs & cats that fit under the seat in their carriers).

Baba

Post   » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:00 am

Kelsie - how nice you know Darmstadt. Do you remember
"Heinerfest" in summer? I've not been back since 4 years
now, but I know Darmstadt has changed quite a bit. Sometimes I dream of white asparagus too - nom nom.

It is weird, I'm not at home in Darmstadt and the surrounding areas anymore neither I'm at home here. I see myself now as
homeless. On the other hand as a "homeless" person for
12 years I have developed a passion for piggies :-) so it seems
it serves a purpose?

Did you go to Griesheim for "Zwiebelfest"?