Smart Pig

Crazy4me

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:32 am

Just thought the GL members would get a kick out of this. JoeJoe is a lot smarter then I give her credit for. Today while returning JoeJoe in her cage using her special cozy sack I put her down on one end of the cage furthest from her hayrack. I was amazed at what I witnessed; she immediatly started talking to herself (happily) and began to move the cozy sack by rolling it with her body in the cozy; she would roll the cozy a couple of times then poke her head out ( I think to see how much further she had to go to get to her hayrack), put her head back in and then start chattering away and rolling. She continued this process until she was near her hayrack. The only problem is she was not facing the hayrack, so she huffed a couple of times and poked her head out of the cozy and then somehow got herself positioned facing the hayrack so all she had to do is poke her head out to grab some hay.
Now she just didn't do this once she did this everytime I returned her to her cage on the one side furthest from her hayrack. I must note that I get her out at least 3 times a day as I will not let her sit in the cage for long periods of time (no matter how much she protests). I have always returned her to the cage on the one end which is farthest from the hayrack and she would simply get out of the cozy and walk to the other end to happily eat the hay but I guess today was the exception!
Please note that she does not roll her body; she somehow scoots her body to make the cozy move. I think I have just been outsmarted by a smart pig!

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:01 am

Pigs can be mighty opinionated where things belong in their cage. Bertie used to move her tunnel all the time because I placed it in the wrong spot. So funny!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:06 pm

That is pretty funny! Sounds like we need a video :-)

KaileighRussell

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:19 pm

My Gatsby does this! She turtles her pigloo around the cage to where she wants to sleep at that particular moment. It's hilarious.

These critters are way smarter then we give them credit for! And highly entertaining as well ;)

Crazy4me

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:35 pm

My dad can't stand "those rodents" or "things" and we have discussions about how smart or not smart they are. I have to remind him that they are not "things" or I tell him "those rodents" have names and that they are capable of learning certain kinds of behavior. I tell him they have me trained very well and that his dislike for my pigs is mutual; my girls will burr at him and chatter their teeth at him-even the sound of his voice gets them going. I tell him that to me they are more then rodents; they have helped me with my post traumatic stress disorder and has even helped a little girl who has a life threatening health disease, deal with her illness; I will write about her in another thread as I am getting off topic.
JoeJoe continues to amaze me everyday, but today she is all tired out from her exercise last night. She is one smart pig!

Kylo

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:21 pm

I find it thrilling to see someone also obsessed with their piggie! Jojo sounds like a unique resourceful pig. I wonder if she enjoys butting balls too?
I find all piggies to be smart in their own way. I think harvey is smart out of sheer fussiness. He likes his pigloo a certain way. He will move and flip his teddy to his liking and eveb drags his tunnel to the perfect spot.
the first time I gave him a ball he butted it back to me. I thought he was playing and set it back in. I was rewarded with an unhppy grumble. He likes what he likes.
Try and get a video of jojo next time!

Lana

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:02 pm

About 15 years ago I had two Peruvians. Olivia was kind of dumb-ish, but stubborn, opinionated and I adored her as much as she adored me.

Mia... freaking brilliant. Headstrong, and thought I was merely okay and tolerated me.

She knew what she was allowed to do and not allowed to do. All I had to do was say her name (during free-range time), and if I heard her wailing, I knew I had busted her. Sometimes it was her eating the couch etc. But if there wasn't a response, it was okay.

She also figured out how to lift the foamcore barrier of their pen. She would hold it up and let Olivia out first, then follow. When she wanted back in the pen, she would scream for me. One day I decided to see what she would do, since it was much more difficult to get in, than out because of how the barrier rested on the floor.

I watched her walk around the pen two times, assessing it for a weak spot, then choose one. She got the barrier up and screamed for Olivia to go in. Eventually, Olivia came out from under the couch and by that time, Mia was livid because she was holding up the barrier.

Here's the part that was almost spooky. I woke up from a nap to see Mia & Olivia by the barrier. Mia was lifting it and dropping it, then looking at Olivia. Finally, Olivia gave it a try, and failed. Mia showed her again. Olivia failed again. 3rd time was the charm. Olivia finally did it and was very pleased with herself. Mia broke back in for the two of them.

the next day, Olivia had forgotten how to lift the barrier. Mia showed her two more times, and finally Olivia did it.

3rd day, same thing. Olivia forgot how to lift the barrier, and the look of pure disgust on Mia's face... She gave up on Olivia and from that moment onwards, Mia lifted the barrier.

A couple of years later, Olivia was ill for months and had mobility issues, and wasn't running around. When Olivia couldn't leave the pen, Mia refused to leave the pen too. If I put her out for a run, she would immediately break back in. Finally, Olivia died, and only then did Mia go out for a run.

Lana

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:09 pm

Definitely record JoeJoe moving the cozy and YouTube it. Who knows, it could go viral.

Crazy4me

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:48 am

Yes I will get it on You-tube sometime!
Kylo- JoeJoe doesn't have any interest in balls, or stuffed animals which suprises me. I recently put a empty kleenex box in the cage with hay in it, well JoeJoe had other plans with the Kleenex box; she moved it around and then decided to get into the kleenex box and push the hay out onto the floor and promptly pee in the box, huff a couple of times and then walk away from the box.
She also continues to outsmart me with introducing new veggies to her usual green/red leaf lettuce and green pepper dinner. I have tried everything to introduce carrots; I have sliced them thin, minced them and peeled them using the veggie peeler. Well no matter how hard I try to get her to eat or at least try the carrot she lets me know she will have none of it. I put the plate down, she looks at it and if she puts (or finds) a tiny piece of carrot she goes nuts. She first will give me the stink eye, then she will chatter her teeth at me, (and if I happen not to be in the room she screams at the top of her little Abby lungs) and she will stomp her back feet. She will also throw the pieces of carrots out of her cage.
This behavior reminds me of two things: 1) doesn't it sound like she is having a major "melt-down" or a toddler having a "temper-tantrum". 2) Never, ever give JoeJoe carrots again
So so far the score is Carrie: 0 JoeJoe:2
My Bean (skittish rescue pig) is seperated due to JoeJoe's inability to get along (blood was drawn); well apparently JoeJoe has been teaching Bean this "temper-tantrum" behavior..UGH Bad Pigs!

akintolife

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:57 am

Have you written a chronicle? The little I've read here is so entertaining! JoeJoe sounds wonderful.

Kylo

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:01 am

I like tempermental pigs! They are so entertaining. Harvey stays in my room and if i'm too noisy while he's napping he grumbles at me. And if I sleep past breakfast he's up at the cage door screeching like an alarm clock. He doesn't relent until I I get out of bed and leave the room for his lordships veggies. I feel like the cook and cleaner!
Maybe your constant interaction with your piggies helps to encourage their curiosity and intelligence. Your piggies sound so fascinating. And sweet. Aww Olivia! That'd sad. :(
I like to think harvey is smart, but then he runs face first into the cage wall or falls face first off his tunnel. (it's not high) and I can't help but laugh at the ridiculousness.

Crazy4me

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:09 pm

If anyone would like to move this to the chronical page, please do! I think then I can continue with the Adventures of JoeJoe and Bean. They are such characters and I never knew they can be so much fun to watch.
Late last night I got JoeJoe out of the cage (without the cozy) and she screams like I am killing her (such a drama queen) but she soon calmed down once I had her settled on my chest. Well I guess she did not like the whole "get out of the cage" experience because she put her butt right in my face and kept scooting her behind until her butt was on my face. Well I tried to scoot her butt down and of course I got met with her Abb-tude; she immediatly started sqealing at the top of her lungs and pounded her back feet on my face. I didn't think her Abby-tude was going to escalate to the point that it did but her attitude got worse. She turned herself around so that her head is facing me (lucky for me she wasn't in my face) chattering at me and then she chased my arm and hand with her head and promtly with mouth open charged at my hand which resulted in a little nick in the skin of my hand.
Believe me she will tell you loudly if she doesn't like what you are doing. One minute she likes her butt rubbed, the next minute she doesn't and you better watch out!
She finally calmed down from her "temper-tantrum" and went to sleep. She positioned herself with her butt in the crook of my neck and her back feet extended. All of a sudden I feel this warm wet fluid running down my neck and back; sure enough she peed on me and my pajamas. Of course I yelled out "JoeJoe you are a bad, bad pig, you naughty girl."
Me:0 JoeJoe:3