Lollipop's Medical Thread

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:04 pm

On Thursday Susie_q (Susie, my ex-petsitter/flatmate) was called by our veterinary surgery to see if she would like to rehome a guinea pig. A friend of the owner of Lollipop had found her in a distressing condition and had brought her into the vet to be euthanised.

The vet offered instead to take Lollipop in, treat her and find her a new home. So he called Susie and offered her to her first.

Lollipop is receiving injectable Ivermectin.
We've given her a bath with Gorgeous Guineas shampoo and a CocoNeem melt which is still on her fur since Susie got a bit enthusiastic with the melt. We have a little bit of sudocrem on her skin to try and sooth it.

When we touch her skin she twitches, squeals and then frantically worries it. It obviously pains her a lot so we've taken to handling her as little as possible and carrying her in her bed when we can.

Does anyone who has experienced severe skin problems have any tips on how we can soothe her skin and make it less painful for her while her skin heals?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:33 pm

Lollipop is such a pretty girl! I hope she feels better soon.

There are some ideas for treating skin problems in the threads on this link:
LINKS - Severe Skin Problems

Clementine's thread might be the most helpful one.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:39 pm

Oh poor lil dear! Glad she is getting help.
Can she be put on some metacam to help with the pain for now?

poppypiggy

Post   » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:13 pm

Poor little girl with such a cute face! That skin looks awful!

When Polly had an undiagnosed, very ithcy skin conditon we used a OTC steroid creme on it to soothe the skin, and that worked wonders in just a few days. Could be worth trying.

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:45 pm

I am sure she is already on metacam which is why we're focusing on trying to fix the problem.

Poppy piggy - thanks, we'll speak to the vet about this option. Steroids aren't something we'd want to give her without careful consideration since she's getting a NSAID already.

Thanks, Tracis, I'll have a wee look! Susie should be on shortly to read the thread responses.

Crazy4me

Post   » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:58 pm

Poor little girl, it looks like she has been suffering with this for awhile although I am glad she is getting a chance and the care she needs now. How anyone can let this get so out of control is beyond me, how sad it is to see this little pig suffer in pain because of someones ignorance (sorry if I offend someone).

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:30 pm

Yikes. That looks awful. Poor little girl. No advice, just a thank you to know there are good people out there to take her in and get her some help. Hope she heals quickly.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:18 pm

Poor little guinea pig! The link to Michigan Joe's case (Tracis posted her links thread) is a good one to read.

lisam

Post   » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:55 am

I think I'd take her off of the metacam and go with a steriod shot or cream. In my experience it works better with severe cases like this.

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:40 pm

Dear little Lollipop will be at the vet on Friday for her next ivermectin shot. I noticed that if they're receiving oral metacam then they can have sterioids topically so we'll see if the vet agrees. I have eczema so there's always a prescription or OTC hydrocortizone cream lurking in my first aid bag - hopefully we can use the OTC one for her.

Today I marinaded poor Lollipop in Olive Oil. She's started opening herself with the scratching now so hopefully the moisturising effect of the oil will make that less likely in the future.

I am taking sock donations to make her a body wrap, too. Looks like my collection of first aid bandages will finally have a use.

poppypiggy

Post   » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:26 pm

Poor girl! Do you know if she is scratching with her paws or graw with her teeth? If the latter is the case, and the body wrap doesn't work out well, you could try a collar https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=106 I made one for Polly out of two or three layers of interfacing (ironed together), and that worked very well for her.

ETA: I used a mash of cucumber and olive oil to moisten and soothe Polly's skin. Worked rather well.

Lovemypigs
Supporter in '17

Post   » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:46 am

Another soothing suggestion might be coconut oil.........it is recommended on here quite often. Most stores carry it now even Walmart........sometimes a bit hard to find as it is not always in the regular oil section.

Hope she feels better soon.