Alice- female discharge

Crazy4me

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:24 pm

Try and encourage her to move around more, maybe get her out of the cage for floor time. I still would keep up the belly massage's to keep the plumbing going!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:47 pm

I don't know why but I think of bloat as caused by gas, not a backup of poop. I think of getting the poops moving as helping release the gas. Am I mistaken here?

Crazy4me

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:36 pm

I think you might be right Lynx, as I would think the built up of gas would stop the pooping; and I believe that exercise and massage would at least get the gas moving through to relieve the pressure.

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:38 pm

Her belly was pretty solid so I assume that was the gas. The combination of things worked. She is pooping like normal and her belly is soft like it should be. I'm not counting my chickens yet but I think she is ok. I have reglan just in case.
This was by far the worst episode yet. She usually stops pooping for a couple of hours and I massage and she gets the electric trimmer to vibrate her belly, I push a lot of water, and then she poops. This is the first time for actual meds.
The important thing for anyone who reads this is to know your pig. Know their nuances and know what is normal.
Alice was acting absolutely fine and like there was nothing wrong. I knew better because there was no poop. I always clean it so that I can know when this type of thing is happening. I picked her up and she felt slightly heavier than normal.
I started my regimen that I said above. She was poop snacking a bit so I knew it was ok to go to bed.
I saw the empty cage this morning and continued pushing water and the usual stuff until the vet opened.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:43 pm

Perhaps she is one of those pigs for whom a daily dose of motility drugs might help?

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat May 31, 2014 2:24 pm

I suspect teeth issues are in my future.
I was getting them a treat when Alice seemed almost like she was gagging on it. She was having trouble and then just wouldn't eat at all. This is during an hour period. I've started critical care and put a call in to the vet. Appointment Monday for tooth check and possible molar filing. She tries to eat and was just munching hay. I'm going to keep pushing CC.
Obviously, if need be, we have an excellent E-Vet.
Any other suggestions to keep her happy and her gut going until Monday?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 31, 2014 10:31 pm

Sorry to hear there are possible teeth issues turning up. Your plan sounds reasonable. I imagine you will be weighing daily a couple times to make sure she's getting enough food.

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:44 am

We made it through the night. She is interested in food but picks it up, tosses it about and then turns away.
I got up every 2-1/2 hours to CC and water her.
I'm syringing water in addition to what she is drinking.
I gave her .1 ml of Metacam. At 1:30 am. How often can I give that low dosage to her?
I've got her on the vibrating pillow for five minute stretches to keep her gut moving. She is prone to bloat so I am extra vigilant. Had to give a half dose of Reglan.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:31 am

You can give another half-dose of Reglan.

I've given Metacam in 10- to 12-hour stretches if the pig really needed it. What concentration is it and how much does she weigh?

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:55 am

It's 1.5 mg/ml and she weighs 2 lbs.
I can barely think right now, let alone calculate anything.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:27 pm

I'd give her another 0.1 mL Metacam now if you haven't already done so.

Can anyone help you with the feeding and watering? You don't need to be driving her to the vet tomorrow comatose. :-(

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:35 pm

I gave her another dose at 11:45. She started munching some hay about 15 minutes later. Now she's sleeping in the hay box.
I'll be napping on and off today so that I can get up every few hours to feed and water. I'm going to drop her off at the vet as soon as I can tomorrow. Then it's off to work.
I'm guessing I'll have to take Tuesday off if her teeth get filed, so I can feed her and get her meds.
She does ok for a little while after the Metacam kicks in. Probably for about 4-5 hours. Then she starts doing the gag/push something out motion with her tongue.