Jack fell and now drags his back legs

adea

Post   » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:42 pm

On Sunday, one of my guinea pigs, Jack, jumped out of my daughter's arms and fell on the floor.

As soon as he landed he started to squeal and wouldn't stop.

He started dragging one foot. I picked him up and gently touched his back legs and he made no noise or any movement.

When he was put back in the cage, he was dragging both his rear legs.
We spoke to a vet and then took him to one, who examined Jack and gave him a injection (think it was an anti-inflammatory). The vet didn't think that Jack had broken anything from what he could feel.
He said to give Jack 48 hours to see if there was an improvement, if not then take him back.

As of today, he is not better and isn't eating much apart from little bits of cucumber and carrot. He won't come out of his hiding hole and will only drink if the water bottle is held to him. He also will eat lots of hay.

We are unfortunately very short of money (this may not come out right) and we don't want to spend money on him if he isn't going to get better or prolong his suffering. We are eligible for PDSA help but don't know if it's worth applying for if he's not going to improve.

So, don't really know what to do. We are going to take him back to the vets tomorrow.

Kylo

Post   » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:23 pm

I think you should exhaust more options before even considering euthanasia. I don't have a lot of money either and vet bills bleed me dry but if there's a way to help a piggie, it should be done.
Your vet may not have -thought- there was anything, but an X-RAY is essential to rule it out. Piggies are delicate and even low falls can cause breaks or even be fatal.
Please get an x-ray done, there might be subtle break in the legs that's causing the pain and discomfort. Breaks can heal in time.

And also your piggie is probably frightened out of its mind. Dropping one may be accidental but they've just been hurt because of it, they're in pain and vulnerable. This is terrifying.

Please, please get an X-ray.

BamBam

Post   » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:59 pm

Undoubtedly you need an x-ray. If you are really unable to afford the fee that the vet will charge for this, (and I fully understand if you can't) then an alternative is for him to go to CCT where an x-ray can be taken at very reasonable cost. If you are not already a member I would be happy to take home for you.

I am in Ware tomorrow evening and Sat morn so could pick him up from you and take him up to Vedra.

Is he a lone pig or does he has a companion?

PM me with your number if you want to talk through the options.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:30 pm

If he got an injection of steroids, that should help with the swelling. Be sure to restrict movement. Several guinea pigs have regained the use of limbs given time. Some people have adapted their cages (use fleece) and made a cart to help the guinea pig get around. I am unsure how safe handling is but do know that typically one weighs ill pigs daily to ensure they are getting enough food. I would not give up yet. Ditto on the xray. It sounds like he may have broken something. Pain medication can definitely help.

KaileighRussell

Post   » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:06 am

I'm actually very surprised the vet didn't do an x-ray as soon as you mentioned fall with instant pain/ loss of mobility.

If you've been at that vet for a long time and are in good standing is it possible to work out a payment plan? I know years ago when our cat required emergency 900.00 surgery we were allowed to go on a payment plan. Normally vets are very good about these kinds of things, as long as you're in good standing with them!

BamBam

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:31 am

With adea's permission I am updating.

Jack went to Vedra on Saturday afternoon. The x-ray reveals no break or dislocation and Jack has full bowel and bladder control.

He does not appear to be in any pain but the back leg paralysis prevails so we are thinking nerve damage (brusing and/or entrapment).

I shall be colleting him sometime this week whereafter he will be coming to stay with me for some therapy and observation over the next few weeks/months, depending on progress.

I intend to keep that progress updated here and will get some pictures up once he's settled a little.

He's a lovely chap and I am keeping everything crossed that his condition will improve over time.

Ech90
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:59 am

So glad that he is with you, BamBam! I hope the little guy gets better and I can't wait to see pictures of him!

clairey

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:08 am

Good to hear that there's nothing broken. Hopefully he'll regain movement over time.

Well done for helping out, BamBam.

adea

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:53 am

Thank you to everyone here for your support but most of all to BamBam :) Without whose help, the future would have been very bleak for Jack.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:10 pm

Fingers crossed for Jack!

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:54 pm

I had a piggy who did break his back when dropped. He lives for another two years running around on his front legs. He developed quite the upper chest! He passed away not from that but from a thymoma - cancer. So pigs can live and run even if their back legs are useless. I hope he recovers well, though!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:54 am

"He's a lovely chap and I am keeping everything crossed that his condition will improve over time."

With conditions as described I am willing to bet he will. Progress may be slow but sure.

Bless you and thank you for caring for him!