Young Mama Pig with Weak Back Legs

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:12 pm

I just brought home a pig that gave birth 3 weeks ago to 4 healthy babies. Accidental pregnancy, long story, won't go there now.

Mama, named Snickers, is only a baby herself. She appears to be about 4 months old which goes along with the time line. Came from pet store about two months ago and was a wee one then, I figure around 2 months old give or take a few weeks.

She is perky, eyes bright, no discharge from nose or eyes, coat looks good. Her babies seem to be very healthy too, so nursing has not been an issue. Two of them are boys and have been separated today so she only has two of the girls left to deal with. She is patient and kind with them. Her own appetite is good. She has been scarfing down hay and pellets since she got here! She is pooping fine.

I have seen her scratching her back legs with her teeth, so there must be some feeling there. She mostly lays around and sort of flops from one side to the other depending on what she needs. She does try to move about. It's slow and she either drags or hops awkwardly, knuckling her back feet. One side seems worse than the other.

I have obviously made a vet appointment but it's not until Monday morning as my vet is gone all week. I have started her on liquid Vitamin C and she will clearly get a well balanced, nutritious diet from here on out.

Can I/should I give her metacam? Or would another pain med be more effective? She is still nursing the girls some. Are there any things I should look for while I watch before our appointment on Monday? Things that may help Dr. A diagnose the problem?

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:05 pm

Would it be a calcium (or vitamin C) deficiency?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:46 pm

How about some calcium lactate?

gl/nutritional_supplements.html

[corrected - Lynx]
Last edited by Lynx on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:11 pm

We had a mom who dislocated both back hips during the pregnancy. THe vet found it on x-rays.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:52 am

Lynx, that link gives me an error.

CH, what happened? Was she able to be helped?

emilyam19

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:08 am

Try this (I think it's the same link): http://www.guinealynx.info/nutritional_supplements.html

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:09 am

Ok, I found the info in the medical area on calcium lactate. Is this something I can find in the drugstore? In liquid form or tablet?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:49 am

Thanks for the correction, emilyam19. I misremembered the link.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:20 am

S2F - Mahi Mahi (the mom) had a full recovery following surgery. Here's a link to it:

http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1969415#1969415

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:35 pm

Just guessing here but do you think some warm soaks and a bit of PT after might help her gain strength?

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:15 pm

I will try anything Bugsmom. I just don't want to hurt her or worsen the situation without knowing what it is yet. For now I was thinking of how to keep her comfortable until Monday. I could do some warm compresses. I'm sure that wouldn't hurt. And vitamin c won't hurt either. I wonder if metacam is a good idea?

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:24 pm

If she were mine and I thought she was in pain or very uncomfortable, I'd give her Metacam. Try some and about a half hour later try the warm compress then try moving her legs. If it hurts too much she'll let you know.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:39 am

Ditto Bugs Mom. You can try some Metacam; see if it helps, continue if it does, discontinue if it doesn't.

One of my old vets (now since relocated to Birmingham) told me once that they have a major nerve junction right about where the small of our back would be. Think 85-285 and then throw 400 in there.

I'm gonna take a bet that delivery pinched something back in through there. See if Dr. A. thinks a mild steroid (prednisolone) might help as well.

I think her mobility will come back but it may take a while.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:55 pm

She is so tiny. Smaller than Emma who delivered 3 babies over the summer here. This one delivered FOUR babies. She's so lucky to be alive, as well as the pups.

Crazy4me

Post   » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:39 pm

I just hope you get some answers at the vet and she gets back the use of her back legs; we will have our fingers crossed and our paws crossed that everything is ok.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:43 am

We are able to get her in to the vet on Saturday now! Someone has graciously offered to switch appointments with me (thank you!), so we will know sooner.

She is stable. Eating like a horse too. I want to believe she is moving around better but I think it's my wishful thinking. Will update after our visit tomorrow..

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:53 pm

Will be anxious to hear. Have you given her any Metacam?

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:54 pm

I haven't. She doesn't look to be in pain and I'm afraid of it passing through her milk. We'll see what Dr. Ahearn says tomorrow.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:43 am

" I want to believe she is moving around better but I think it's my wishful thinking."

She probably is and it probably isn't. I think she'll recover as her body recovers from the trauma of delivering four pups while she's only a pup herself. It will, however, be a slow process IMO.

Crazy4me

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:49 pm

Hoping for good news today stf, we will keep our fingers crossed until we hear from you.

33 posts