Lollipop's Medical Thread

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:13 am

I'll look for coconut oil. I had been using olive oil (re: Clemantine's thread where Jenni said she thought olive moisturised better than coconut oil) but it will be good to have alternative oils just in case.

We've got her the steroid cream to help ease her itching. Now her skin's exposed (not under the crusting) she's able to bite holes in herself.

She seems to be using her mouth to itch.

poppypiggy

Post   » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:59 pm

Poor girl! It is understandable she will try to stop the itching by biting herself, but the sores can get infected. Hopefully the steroid cream will help, but just in case it doesn't, I suggest you make a collar too.

It is not difficult - all you need is some interfacing with glue on one side (found where you can buy sewing equipment - ask for the stiffest type they have) and a few paper clips. Iron the interfacing together (remember to iron from the glueless side!), two or three layers thick, and cut out the collar about 18 cm / 7 inches wide with a hole in the middle that is about 6 cm / 2 and a half inches wide. Make a paper pattern first if you are unsure about the size.

Image On this one I made for Polly I also lined the opening with two layers of fleece to avoid chafing. Polly wore it first for a few minutes, but with pauses and bribes tolerated to wear it for longer. First I fastened it with paper clips, but later I used those to ajust it until I was sure it was tight enough, and then secured everything with a few staples. Make sure there are no sharp edges the pig can get injured by.

I hope this helps, and that Lollipop feels better very soon!

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:49 am

The vet gave Susie two different cone collars for Lolly; a fabric cone collar and a plastic one. The little darling was able to suck that fluffy little face inward and get them all off!

Lolly is doing brilliantly today, really happy with her progress - and all because of a simple dosing of Ivermectin and a bit of marinading in sudocrem/sterioid/olive oil (not at the same time!)

I'll update later with pictures

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:47 am

You can actually give them Valium (a very, very small dose) if needed in a case like this. However, it sounds like you're getting a handle on it so carry on.

You probably know this but the mites can actually become more active as they die off, so it may seem one step forward, two back for a bit but then she'll go straight forward.

" ... because of someones ignorance (sorry if I offend someone)."

Don't be. I doubt you did so here, but if you did ... too bad.

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:43 am

Talishan - thank you for the warning that she might seem to get worse. I'm hoping that we've passed that point already; she seemed to get better then suddenly started to claw at herself and open wounds on her bum. They're now healing up so she hasn't been so aggressive with herself since but it's good to know that she might do that again before she fully recovers.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:16 am

Thank you and bless you and Susie for helping her.

Crazy4me

Post   » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:51 am

There is light in the end of that tunnel; we are happy with Susie's progress and I bet she is thankful for your wonderful care and concern.