Young Mama Pig with Weak Back Legs

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:39 am

Ditto Bugs Mom. You can try some Metacam; see if it helps, continue if it does, discontinue if it doesn't.

One of my old vets (now since relocated to Birmingham) told me once that they have a major nerve junction right about where the small of our back would be. Think 85-285 and then throw 400 in there.

I'm gonna take a bet that delivery pinched something back in through there. See if Dr. A. thinks a mild steroid (prednisolone) might help as well.

I think her mobility will come back but it may take a while.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:55 pm

She is so tiny. Smaller than Emma who delivered 3 babies over the summer here. This one delivered FOUR babies. She's so lucky to be alive, as well as the pups.

Crazy4me

Post   » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:39 pm

I just hope you get some answers at the vet and she gets back the use of her back legs; we will have our fingers crossed and our paws crossed that everything is ok.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:43 am

We are able to get her in to the vet on Saturday now! Someone has graciously offered to switch appointments with me (thank you!), so we will know sooner.

She is stable. Eating like a horse too. I want to believe she is moving around better but I think it's my wishful thinking. Will update after our visit tomorrow..

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:53 pm

Will be anxious to hear. Have you given her any Metacam?

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:54 pm

I haven't. She doesn't look to be in pain and I'm afraid of it passing through her milk. We'll see what Dr. Ahearn says tomorrow.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:43 am

" I want to believe she is moving around better but I think it's my wishful thinking."

She probably is and it probably isn't. I think she'll recover as her body recovers from the trauma of delivering four pups while she's only a pup herself. It will, however, be a slow process IMO.

Crazy4me

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:49 pm

Hoping for good news today stf, we will keep our fingers crossed until we hear from you.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:52 pm

Not good news. No hips at all. Well, nothing to use for repair anyway. Ill have to figure out how to get the X-rays posted. I never have luck with these discs, not sure why.

So we are doing acupuncture for now as well as supplements. My vet is getting a laser in soon and when that arrives we will do laser therapy too.

She thinks that poor nutrition and carrying/delivering 4 pups is what did it. :(. She is a sanctuary girl now. I'm going to integrate her in with Ondrej and Briley. I hope B can be nice to her. Oh and I'm changing her name since she's staying here. She is now Eliot. (Has to be a hockey name-this is after former goalie and Thrashers announcer Darren Eliot)

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:21 pm

Sending good thoughts for Miss Eliot, and I hope she is enjoying her new life with you and your family.

I'm so sorry that her hips are beyond repair. I've added her story to this thread:
Breeding Risks and Complications: Collected Stories

Crazy4me

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:30 pm

Oh no, that is so heartbreaking, I was hoping for better news. I am sure Eliot will enjoy her new life with you and your family.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:36 pm

Thank you for adding her story to that thread. Whether it was accidental or just plain stupidity (very weird situation, long story and I'm not sure what to believe), it wouldn't have happened if she was never pregnant. I am sad for her but thankful I went to get the babies. Who knows what her fate would've been if left there.