Young Mama Pig with Weak Back Legs

akintolife

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:21 pm

I am so sorry to hear this, but she has a chance now. Poor baby.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:57 pm

I'm sorry for Miss Eliot's news. Since she's so young do you think there's a chance she may add more development as she gets older? She's still landed in the absolute best place she could ever be with you guys!

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:20 pm

I don't know anything about these things, but is there any chance of any kind of recovery as she grows, as Bugs Mom asked? Any piggie PT?

How terrible. Glad she can live her life out in sanctuary.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:58 pm

We can be hopeful that, as she gets good nutrition and suppliments as well as the laser therapy, she could regenerate SOME tissue. She will never be 100% but there is a chance she could live a decent length life with minimal discomfort. We will sure give her the best chance she can get. At the very least she can be a case study, albeit an unofficial one, for this sort of thing.

My vet is working toward acupuncture certification and is still learning. We are letting her "practice" on Eliot. She has more experience with "traditional" pets. This will give her much needed work on exotics. The laser will also be beneficial to her practice once she receives it. Our chiropractor uses one and it has helped us, all of us in our family, heal from soft tissue injuries. He tells us it cuts bone healing time considerably too so I am anxious to try it on Eliot (the vet one, not the one my chiro uses!).

Crazy4me

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:49 pm

This is a good learning experience for many; I feel happy that she is in your care just because she will get nothing but the best but I am also sad that this has happened to her all because of her being pregnant at a early age. I would hope given her age and she is still growing that at least some soft tissue can form and maybe that will result in some mobility in her back legs.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:54 pm

I was able to get them from the disc to the Bucket. I can't manipulate the size, zoom or contrast like I can on the disc and can't save what I change there. :(

Or can I? I just tried to edit on Photobucket. Let's see what this does.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:55 pm

Oh, poor Miss Eliot! I hope that she regains some mobility with her improved diet and supplements and therapy.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:54 am

I'm gonna stick my neck out here and take a shot that now that she has access to a decent diet, some tissue may regenerate.

I am gonna guess that the pups leached the calcium out of her system, at a time when she needed it to grow bones herself. (This happens with deer.) Since she is still just a baby herself, perhaps some of the bone now will have a chance to grow. One can hope. I'll hope also that some of the muscle tissue might bulk up and take the place, so to speak, of some of the bone's functionality.

Dr. A. is doing acupuncture on one of ours (not a good surgical candidate). So far it does actually really seem to be helping. Hopefully this will be the case with Eliot too.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:24 am

I also had to take her away from the baby girls. No one was happy about that yesterday but the girls are doing fine now. Eliot is living in a small apartment next to Ondrej and Briley. They are so big next to her I was afraid they'd hurt her if in the same cage. So for now they are neighbors and she isn't too lonely.