Jack fell and now drags his back legs

BamBam

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:07 pm

Going mad here waiting to pick Jack up.

We had his X-rays reviewed and the vet is of the same opinion that there is no break.

I am waiting for a massager to arrive - Vedra didn't want to discharge him until I could continue the treatment. All being well that should arrive end of week and I'll pick him up at the weekend.

Vedra reports that he's doing well on his pain killers and massages, eating, drinking and eliminating normally.

Have warned my stinkers he's coming and they're to be on their best behaviour. Got the impression they weren't terribly impressed.

Kallie

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:00 pm

Awe I'm sure your girls will enjoy having him around. Thanks for going out of your way to help this little guy. I'm sure he'll make a full recovery.

BamBam

Post   » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:53 am

We drove down to pick Jack up today.

He looks to have lost a little weight although that's just from sight as I didn't weigh him before delivering him to Vedra.

He is tucking in to a pile of fresh grass and then we're off again.

I am enormously grateful to Hilary who is going to ministering to Jack's every need during the week whilst I am at work. Thankfully, he will only have to put up with my fumblings at the week-ends.

He has a 20 day course of steroids and will be receiving massage therepy.

I will dig out the camera and get some photos posted as soon as I'm able.

He is able to pull himself along with his front legs and is pretty damn fast.

I cannot though convince myself that he is entirely without some discomfort only because his eyes are not fully round.

I am looking forward to getting to know and understand his needs better.

Kallie

Post   » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:17 pm

He's in great hands with you and Hilary. Looking forward to following his progress.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:25 pm

Fingers crossed for Jack! He got a new lease on life with you and Hilary helping him :)

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:30 pm

First night with Jack, he is a really beautiful pig, but clearly has no movement at all in his back legs. That doesn't stop him though, he is incredibly quick on his front legs, so I can understand to some extent, how he came to fall.

I'm not doing too much to him tonight, such as weighing him, there will be plenty of time for that tomorrow. However, he is clearly not eating enough and is only producing mouse size droppings. He has had a little Critical Care from me tonight, as well as some water with Vit C in it. He has eaten some hay for himself, and odd bits of veg, but nowhere near enough. I'll get up during the night, once he has had some rest, and try him with more, later.

He is in a cage near my pigs, and I will rearrange things tomorrow so he may be able to see them better. My girls have had a peep at him, through the bars, but he isn't bothered with the ladies at the moment.

One thing BamBam and I were discussing; it looks very much as if he is unable to eat his "special poops". Any advice on how best to deal with that? He is still on steroids, but no true pain relief as such. We don't want to hurt him, but obviously, he needs to be eating them, as well as getting some food into himself.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:30 am

Steroids are painkillers in a very powerful way. They are one of the most powerful anti-inflammatory substances in nature, and a lot of pain comes from inflammation. Thus, why "NSAIDs" are called "non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs".

That said, he may need a mild narcotic. Tramadol may help him. In a low dose I think it can be given indefinitely.

Cecotropes: best way to accommodate for them is to take cecal droppings from your healthy girls, mix them with a little water and syringe. Final droppings will help too, although not as much.

If that's just a bit over the top, and/or if your girls will not part with their production, try supplementing with a little vitamin B. I use these:

Not sure if they are available in the UK, but worth a search

Try to avoid using human B complex. Many of them have tens of thousands of times the RDA for a human, because there's no known ill effect from them. In guinea pigs, though, we've had gas problems from using even a tiny fraction of the megadose ones.

BamBam

Post   » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:31 am

Tal, we do have Abidec for babies -

Retinol (As Vitamin A Palmitate) 1333 IU,
Ergocalciferol (Vitamin D2) 400 IU,
Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1) 0.4mg,
Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) 0.8mg,
Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6) 0.8mg,
Nicotinamide 8mg,
Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) 40mg.

I only have a few minutes so I can't compare with the Baby B's but will take a look tonight.

BamBam

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:10 pm

Three days in and of course we want to see a miraculous recovery so to not do so can lead to a feeling of despondency. But...

Jack is soldiering on. We have concluded that he gets, bored, lonely and a bit depressed. So today he's had a good "run" round and... Elsie has been allowed to keep him company. She has been so, so gentle and sweet with him and her company brought a little sonar wheeking from Jack as well as an increase in his appetite.

This, we think is key because he is not eating enough and we have to reverse that trend.

He is looking very stiff and Hilary is thefore getting her magic touch on the job with some extra massage.

I am so grateful for Hilary's time, care and knowledge in giving Jack the support he needs at this hugely challenging time.

BamBam

Post   » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:42 am

The good news:

Jack is eating a little better, his poops are improving slightly and the increased water intake has resulted in better fluid output.

The bad news:

He continues to lose weight and is clearly therefore not taking enough on board.

We are going to review things over the week-end for him.

clairey

Post   » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:56 am

Come on, Jack! We're all rooting for you.

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:55 am

Thank you for your kind words, BamBam. Sadly, I fear my magic touch is failing.

I was hopeful Jack was turning the corner yesterday, as he seemed brighter and was eating of his own volition. His poops were returning to a more normal size and consistency and he produced a good amount of urine.

Today, he is not eating much at all. He has had a little cucumber and maybe one sprig of coriander. I am getting as much critical care as I can, into him, but I fear it is not enough..

Please all send your healing thoughts and prayers for this sweet little chap. I can't see to type any more.