ongoing URI, A/B's not working??

Lana

Post   » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:06 pm

Let me be very clear. I did not suggest using Chloramphenicol and gentamycin together. I do not know if these two drugs can be combined.

Try Chloramphenicol by itself. Not combined with any other drug unless approved by your vet. And it is an oral drug.

And I suggested gentamycin alone as well.

Moving forward, I won't comment on this thread. The little bits of info that I posted seem to get mangled & twisted, and I'm not going to get blamed for a dead pig when things go wrong.

Grace505, you need to talk to your vet about the best course of action now.

grace505

Post   » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:29 pm

Lana, first and foremost, thank you for all your help and input. I'm sorry that you feel your advice is being mangled and twisted because you've been very helpful to me. I understand that others have offered advice very different from yours and am in no way combining nor confusing the two.

I am waiting on a call from my vet to make a decision on how to proceed, he and I ALONE are responsible for the actions we take, not anyone here. All advice and input here is only info gathered to talk about with the vet, never for me to make a decision alone by myself. Thanks.

grace505

Post   » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:22 pm

I was reading online about how sometimes people with COPD, etc, nebulize with just saline and no medication and that that helps to moisturize the lungs and break up the mucus so it can come out more easily. Has anyone ever done this? I'm sure it won't hurt the pigs, but has anyone found any benefit of doing this at all? It's pretty cheap to do and worth a try i'm sure, i just didn't know if anyone had any hard facts or firsthand experience with it. Thanks!

Lana

Post   » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:31 pm

What about nebulizing with medication as per the test results?

grace505

Post   » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:02 pm

Lana, well i talked with the vet about what you had said about the Bactrim not being the right drug since it didn't work before, but he felt it was worth a try anyway since it's readily available and cheap and we know both the pigs tolerate it well. So Turbo is on a Doxy/Bactrim combo right now and seems to be doing pretty well, i'm seeing more sneezing than i would like, but maybe that's just getting the mucus out??

My other two options after that would be the Chloremphenical orally OR nebulizing Gentamicin. The Gentamicin has to be ordered, but it's pretty cheap, only about a dollar a day. The Chloremphenical is a whole other deal, i think it can be ordered and the vet printed me out some info on it so i can be more informed when asking the pharmacist questions so i know what the heck i'm talking about and what i need to ask for specifically, dosages, form (oral), etc.

I just read that article online and wondered if that wasn't maybe worth a try. My neighbor has a good nebulizer i can use for free and the saline is $15 at the most, that was one place and i haven't yet shopped around at all, but that's for 100 three ml vials, so pretty darn cheap, even using it twice a day.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:49 pm

I recall one pet owner doing very gentle drumming with fingertips to loosen phlegm and mucus in the lungs.

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:07 am

Grace, if you have easy access to a nebulizer, then I think it would be a good idea to try giving your pig(s) treatment with just sterile saline, and see if it helps. I nebulize one 3 cc syringe of sterile saline daily for my chronically stuffed-up/sneezing little boy, and it definitely helps clear up his breathing a bit.

grace505

Post   » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:58 am

Lynx and LS, thanks for the advice! He's not very stuffed up, seems good on that end, and his breathing is fine, but i think anything to help loosen and expel is a good idea, especially if it can't hurt, right? I know i've read about some medications not being able to penetrate the mucus and that being the helpful part of nebulizing as well.

grace505

Post   » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:53 pm

I am trying to find out if Chloramphenicol can be combined with Doxy or Bactrim.

Turbo was on a Doxy/Bactrim combo for two solid months during which he did pretty well, but then started getting a little labored breathing toward the end.

The vet and i decided to try the Chloramphenicol and he has been on it for six days and the first two days he did great, but the last few days he's been doing not so well. He's been more stuffy and congested and more sneezing and snot as well. The vet is interested in seeing if the Doxy or Bactrim can be combined with the Chloram. before he has me try the Gentamicin due to the danger of kidney damage. They are doing some research on their end and wanted me to ask here. Any thoughts? Thanks, Rebecca

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:51 pm

I think it has been combined with Doxy but am unfortunately not positive. Have you tried searching the medical forum?

grace505

Post   » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:04 pm

Lynx. i am going through threads now but am not finding much. I'm going to keep working on it, though! Thanks!

grace505

Post   » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:56 pm

My boys stopped eating hay on Monday and stopped pooping. I realized Monday afternoon, switched out the hay and worked on syringing water and whatnot to both of them. Diesel was back on track within six hours, but my Turbo is having trouble still.

I took him to the vet yesterday because he seemed a little bloated on the sides. The vet took an x-ray and made sure it was just gas and not an obstruction or anything. Turbo is pooping more as time goes on, but just globs of poop, nothing normal really, but it's better than no pooping at all at this point. The vet didn't give me anything for the gas, should i be giving him something to help disperse it?

Should i withhold veggies from Turbo? I've cut back their veggies amount to half to encourange them to eat more hay and pellets. Neither of them ever stopped eating the veggies, just the hay.

I am syringing Turbo Critical Care mixed with baby food carrots and Pedialyte as a supplement, he is eating veggies and pellets and some hay, but i'm trying to encourage more of that. I am also syringing him Pedialyte mixed with some Vit C and probiotics, as he is on Chloramphenicol.

I don't believe this problem is from the antibiotics, it was the hay i'm pretty sure, as Diesel did the same thing at the same time but went back on track pretty quickly, probably because he's not sick already like Turbo is. The vet agreed with me.

Turbo lost a little weight Monday/Tuesday, but is maintaining it now. I'm concerned about the gas, what should i do? Thanks!