Need Guinea Pig Vet in WI

sillycavies

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:27 pm

I just got an e-mail from a woman in WI whose mom found a pair of guinea pigs in a snowbank. The woman lives in a small town and has every intention of keeping the piggies, but needs to find a good vet to give them a checkup after their ordeal. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

jacqueline

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:57 pm

It amazes me - this is the second time I've heard of piggies actually surviving in freezing temps outdoors. What sturdy troopers they can be!

And P.S. Stupid people!!

sillycavies

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:26 pm

There was nothing for WI on those links. Thanks anyway. I checked them prior to posting.

Crazy4me

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:27 pm

C. Cole-Chakotay, there appears to be no information or listing for vets in Wisconsin as I tried the links you gave.

Sillycavies, can you tell us where in Wisconsin this person is, or perhaps a general area so we can assist with recommendations.

sillycavies

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:18 pm

I'm waiting for her to give me the location in WI.

sillycavies

Post   » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:05 am

She lives in Wautoma, WI.

WICharlie

Post   » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:43 am

Let me do an inquiry. I know someone near there in Waupaca.

I should add info to those links as I know of at least 4 or 5 good vets in Wisconsin. I'm not sure how I do that.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:44 am

If you would like to list them here, I can transfer the data to the Wisconsin page. I had to disable self-signup because of horrible spam and now I can't figure out how to even set up a new account myself.

Please note the standard format for the vet list so I can just copy and paste vs. analyzing the data (tired brain).

WICharlie

Post   » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:06 am

Heres the recommend:

Dianne Scott, DVM
Oakview Animal Hospital
Plover, WI

My contact at the the Waupaca Humane Society also said that they JUST got in two pigs that had been dumped along a very remote road. She didn't say what shape they were in. Those were some very lucky pigs to be found.

It is always my thought that for every pig that is dumped and found, there are probably 5 more that have been dumped and not found :(.

Will do, Lynx.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:13 am

Please add a little commentary on the vet (why recommended?). Do you want me to use your name for the recommendation?

WICharlie

Post   » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:35 am

I will if I know them. Many of these have been recommended to me over the years through my work with the rescue and I don't have first hand knowledge.

Northern Wisconsin Area

Oakview Veterinary Medical Center
2110 JayMar Road
Plover, WI 54467
(715) 344-6311

Madison Area

Dr. Carla Christman
Healthy Pet Veterinary Clinic
1440 E. Washington Avenue
Madison, WI 53703
(608) 294-9494

Dr. Christman is very reknown in working with small animals and with guinea pigs in particular. She regularly contributes to the Mounds monthly newsletter about important medical issues on guinea pigs and on dogs and cats.

Dr. Steve Erickson
All Pets Veterinary Clinic
Middleton, WI 53562
(608)831-1392

Milwaukee Area

Dr. Dianne Bennetts
Small Animal Hospital
2340 N. Newhall Street
Milwaukee, WI 53211
(414) 276-0701

Dr. Bennetts was recommended by Snowflakey