Pig Planet: The Adventures of Baozi and Ace

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:55 pm

Your pigs are normal as mine love peeing in their cuddle cups too. Agree with Crrystal that putting a pad in helps. You then just need to wash the pad and don't need to change out the cups daily.

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:20 am

Congrats on your new furry friends! And thank you for adopting!

As for the leaky water bottle, I keep a brick underneath the spout to catch drips. Bonus is it's a cool spot for them to rest against on a hot summer day.

Crrrystal

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:38 am

I read somewhere on this forum (sorry, I can't remember who! I'm not trying to steal credit) that "burping" water bottles can sometimes help form a better seal. Hold it with the nozzle at the top and squeeze until water starts to spurt out, then flip it back over. It'll gurgle a little bit and should help with the leaks.

pigwidgeon

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:45 pm

I just put the piggers on fleece today. Here is a short video of them exploring: Poop machines

I went out shortly after making this video and when I got home, I found out that I do have burrowers! Sigh. They only seem to do it in the loft area. I tried to shoo them out to redo the fleece and clip it to the sides of the coroplast. Ace was easily lured out with a cucumber piece but Baozi would not go. She plopped her fat ass down and wouldn't move. I had to grab her and relocate her. After I finally got the fleece pinned she came back and wheeked her displeasure at no longer being able to burrow. She chewed at the fleece and binder clips and eventually just pancaked. I think she's still mad at me b/c she's pouting in there while Ace is chomping on cucumber out by the food bowl.

I might try making a rooting box like serelixyue and put it in the loft area. Maybe they can get it out of their systems lol.

I am starting to learn their personalities. Baozi is a very stubborn and inquisitive little pig, in case you couldn't tell lol. I was cleaning the cage today and Ace cooperatively moved to the other side of the cage, but Baozi was constantly investigating and not allowing me to clean in peace. During lap time, she was scared at first but then she was exploring and making little squeaking sounds. I also caught her popcorning in the cage last night but unfortunately couldn't get it on video :(

Ace is very shy and mellow. She's such a lap pig. She sat on my lap for a good half hour and didn't even wee on me! Unfortunately, while having lap time I noticed a really long front nail that was curling under (though it didn't break the skin) and a bald spot behind her ear. I looked closely but didn't see any trouble signs there other than the baldness. No bleeding or abrasions or flakiness. Both pigs were treated for mites at the HS, and I haven't seen any signs of parasites. Here is a picture of the bald spot behind Ace's ear:

I know this picture is kind of pants but the white spots on the ear looked like pigment to me and not any kind of infection. But I'll have the vet take a look when the pigs go on Monday. I was also planning to let the vet take care of the curled nail.

Ace seems healthy otherwise. She's much more quiet than Baozi (who never shuts up). Sometimes she wheeks for food, but is mostly silent. When in the cage, she is quite active and does her share of running and playing.

Here is a kind of crappy picture of Ace during lap time:

(Excuse the messy floor; I was in the midst of cleaning since my room is kind of in a state of flux. I had to clear a lot of space fast for the cage).

She is such a sweet and squishy pig. She let my Dad pick her up while I was cleaning the cage. So cute.

ETA: Baozi used the ramp a little while ago! I was sitting here typing and her little face popped up on the second level of the loft. She didn't stay up there long lol. I should put something else up there for them to make it more comfortable, some fleece or something.

akintolife

Post   » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:37 am

The bald spot is normal. Most piggies have a bald spot behind the ears.

They are cute piggies.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:01 am

www.guinealynx.info/.html

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:18 pm

Is it Baozi like big soft steamed dumplings? Either way they are adorable.

pigwidgeon

Post   » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:37 pm

Thanks for answering my questions, guys! I actually found the hair loss page right after I posted this oop. lol

AldenM1, yup, baozi are dumplings! Our family buys them a lot from a Chinese bakery in Manoa. That was the first thing that sprang to mind when I saw her--she looks like a baozi! She's soft and squishy like one too.

Today was bath time for two guineas. It went surprisingly well. Both piggies were very well behaved during the bath. I gave them extra yum yums after to reward their good behavior. Here are some photos of them back in a slightly remodeled cage. The loft area was a bitch to clean and they weren't really using the second floor, so I put the hay bin there instead. Eventually I want to build a second level, but I'll need more grids for that. I originally built this cage for one piggy, after all. They seem happy with it for now. I don't blame them, after being stuck in that teeny HS cage!

Ma! Y u gotta take out the loft??? We loved pooing and peeing in there and lying in it!

Now that we're all nice and clean from our baths, time to poo and pee in this pigloo and break it in!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:45 am

Awesome. I don't think I could have survived my study abroad in China without baozi -- they were so easy to get and always delicious. It's a great pig name. :)

pigwidgeon

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:56 am

Took the piggers to the vet today. They are both healthy, minus some fur mites. They were treated with ivermectin at the HS and the vet treated them with Revolution today. Ace's feet seemed a bit red and swollen. The vet suggested monitoring her and felt optimistic they would improve since the piggers are on fleece now. I ordered some FM ointment from Gorgeous Guineas though, just in case.

Baozi was about 800-some grams (sorry, don't remember off the top of my head but i had it written down somewhere) and Ace was a little fatty at 1200g! No wonder she's such a squishy little lap pig.

Here are some photos of playtime the other day:

Yes, that's a sock in the background lol

Baozi is wondering who this imposter is

'Sup rat?

--

And some from today:

They were both in the cuddle cup but by the time I got my phone Baozi had split :(

Baozi says sup

Ace

--

And some photos from lap time tonight:

Ace the squishy lap pig

Baozi nomming lettuce

Yes I changed shirts b/c Ace weed on me lol. I need to get me a lap pad. On the other hand, now I know what it means when she starts chewing the towel!

Also, a couple of short vids:

The tunnel
Wheek wheek

The piggers' personalities are really starting to come out now. Baozi is a LOUD, inquisitive, active little pig. She wheeks any time anyone comes in. She wheeks even if i just fed her. During lap time, she is always exploring. Ace is the opposite. She's very quiet and only ever wheeks for food and sometimes makes little squeaky sounds as she explores. During lap time and play time (usually on the bed) she tends to sit still. She will look petrified at first but then she will relax and start eating treats or maybe explore a bit. She's a bit more active in the cage, and will run around and popcorn with Baozi sometimes.

Baozi seems fond of burrowing. She likes to sleep in corners and always pulls back the top layers of fleece and lies on the towel in her own wee. Some of my fleece blankets are quite large but others are not large enough to pin to the coroplast, so maybe some heavy rocks or tiles on the corners? I'm also considering sewing the fleece to the towels to make cage cleaning easier but she'd probably still find a way to burrow. Sigh. Such a naughty little pig.

Crrrystal

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:15 pm

If you can't clip your fleece over the coroplast, I'd recommend some bricks or cement paving stones for the corners. I know a lot of people have had luck with that. And as a bonus, it helps to wear down their nails just a little bit, and can be a nice cool spot to lay in the heat!

pigwidgeon

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:46 pm

Piggers having some play time on the bed

lol excuse the poops in the background

Piggers having lap time

And two new vids:

Ace lap time + me rambling
Apples

Crrrystal, I got some ceramic tiles for the corners of the page. Seems to be working out well. I do see them lying on them sometimes, and they def do a lot of pooping on them lol.

Yesterday I was helping my sister-in-law and niece set up a C&C cage for their new pig. They adopted a neutered boy from the humane society. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture, but I think he's a teddy? He has very wiry hair. Even his whiskers are wiry! His coloring is reminiscent of a skunk so I call him Pepe Le Pig, lol. I tried to convince them to get him a friend, and maybe they will in the future, but before I helped them they knew absolutely nothing about guinea pigs. Anyway, since Pepe is a lone pig, as soon as my girls' mites clear up (they're almost gone now; they're on Revolution) we might arrange a play date.

Question: since there still might be some residual mites, should I wash my stuffed animals? The pigs were crawling around and playing with them during play time.