This Little Piggy Marketplace

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:19 pm

If there is no compelling reason to snap up associated names, to save money I would not do so. Then you don't have to renew them year after year.

I kinda regret that gl.com was essentially stolen (I did not realize I should have gotten it quickly - before someone else who knew me grabbed it) so I got gl.info then the gl.com expired and I felt like I had to buy it. So it's cost me money every year to have two names.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:18 am

I am now the proud owner of TLPMarketplace.com! Woo-hoo!

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:27 am

Sounds good to me! Congratulations!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:11 am

Excellent! Good luck finishing off the new site.

piggypie

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:22 pm

STF it won't help improve the rankings. It's the google search bots that determine placing, not how many times a name is searched.

Google advertising is pretty cheap though, you could look into that.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:12 pm

Just common sense SEO is what needs to be done.

In a nutshell:

Use semantic markup and "weighted" tags whenever possible (ie: h1, h2, etc, bold, emphasis).

Repeat keywords in a natural way, as much as possible (and use semantic markup on them).

Use alt text for any images with meaningful language in the alt.

Use meaningful language in your filenames (image and html files)

Use meaningful language in your LINKS! no "click here." Instead, make the most of link analysis but linking phrases like "guinea pig housing" and "guinea pig food" and whatnot.

Link to sites with good google rankings (do a search with your keywords, and then have some link resources on your site that link to those sites). I'll bet GL is one, and probably GPC, and if you link to their sites with meaningful language, you'll help your rankings.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:33 pm

Good tips, SF. Thanks!

Well, sometime between Wednesday and today, Blogger decided to re-activate my website. No email; no explanation. It just re-appeared (big thank you to Traci, for alerting me).

Spent the day moving missing content over to the new site I've been building with Weebly. Hope to have everything back online soon, under the new domain name.

In the meantime, I need to figure out how to do a re-direct for anyone still using the old domain name. :\

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:30 am

Good luck sef! Sorry for all the troubles!

jacqueline

Post   » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:18 am

Woo-Hoo!! Congrats!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:50 am

Yay!

What I suggest you do is quietly edit your front page with a link to the new site.

What they did was so darn crappy!

Oh, and continue to pursue getting access to your old domain name. The most direct is to change the DNS pointers so it goes to your new site (and in time, people simply use your new name). Use htaccess to rewrite any searches based on your old name to the new one.

If this is all content that can be copied and saves somewhere, always do so in case your new host is a pain.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:30 am

Thanks! Having access to my files (particularly the healthcare page) saved me an enormous amount of work. Big relief.

I'm planning to do that very thing, Lynx. I'm going to go through today and save the remainder of the Blogger pages as HTML pages as an emergency back-up. Once I get the new site up and see that it's running smoothly, I am going to hide all of the content on the old site except the home page, and will put a "We've moved!" thing on there.

Never heard of htaccess, but will look into it. Thanks for the tip!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:53 am

Congratulations! Can't wait to see the new site.