Petunia's Medical Thread

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:44 pm

Talishan, that is the best How To Prepare For A Piggy Spay summary I've ever seen. Wish I'd had that to look at a year ago.

Macylu, I think it is healthy to fear the post-op recovery - I lost 2 sows by making mistakes during that critical period - but that was before I knew there was help and advice available on these forums. Come here, post updates and questions on Petunia's thread, and somebody will magically appear to guide you through whatever happens, guaranteed.

Crazy4me

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Ditto on what LS in AK said; please update us and if you have questions don't be afraid to ask, we are here to support you and answer any questions that you have.

I have always thought that it is better to be prepared in advance then to not be prepared which adds to the stress that you already have caring for a post-op pig. You are doing the right thing by asking questions.

Macylu

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:58 pm

These are some pictures showing Petunia's hair loss and pearish shape. And her cute little face!

Crazy4me

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:37 pm

Petunia is adorable!

dellybean

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:16 am

Talishan, what an amazing post. Everyone who goes through a spay should have that information. I've only ever had boars, so I haven't ready any of the spay links, but I think it would be great to have that information preserved in a permalink.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:50 am

The cyst on the left is particularly large. Don't be freaked if the vet has to drain it before removing the ovary.

My med-and-care post is the result of lots of experience with too many surgeries. Every single surgery is different and every single surgery will teach you something new. Sometimes the hard way. If anything any of our pigs has gone through helps another pig, so much the better. The "mixed-ramping" of the pain meds has helped us the most. The couple of vets I've mentioned it to have thoroughly agreed with my approach. It is tricky because you have to remember what you've given, when, how much, what's going up and what's going down. Write it down on a clipboard in the pig room if that helps, especially if you have help from another person; that way, they won't overmedicate or undermedicate.

Flexible, supportive husbands are a priceless gift from the Lord. To the pigs and to their primary caretakers. :-)

The pain/prep stuff goes for virtually any surgery, except perhaps for dental; they don't (well, shouldn't) go too far under for that. If a male has a tumor or abscess removed, my advice goes for them too.

Macylu, do read the postop thread carefully too. Be sure to keep her in a restricted-movement area ... a 1x2 C&C, a crappy petstore cage (this is the one thing they're good for ;-). Bed her on light-colored fleece or towels (towels preferable IME) and change at least the top one at least twice daily if you can manage it.

There's a bunch more good advice from several long-term GL'ers on Meg's thread.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:04 am

Also, ditto everyone who has mentioned coming on here, any time, day or night, for help if you need it.

Do so QUICKLY. It is far better to panic over nothing than to let a postop pig decline too far. It's fast and you can't turn it around.

You are in a good location, actually. If something happens at, say, 11 p.m. your time, our California folks are still up. If it's 3 a.m., me and a handful of the other night owls and a few of our Australians will probably see your post. If it's 6 or 7 a.m., the Brits will be with you and then the continental Europeans will pick up. You're pretty well covered.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:23 am

Macylu, let me know if you'd like your photos added permanently to your post (I can display them with image tags then).

Talishan, let me know if it's okay if I add your advice to the postop page. I think it is valuable too!!

Macylu

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:16 pm

Of course, please add the pictures. Two of the links are accidentally the same, the last one was supposed to be her mug shot!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:04 pm

Here you go:

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:22 am

Lynx, feel free to add whatever I write to whatever permanent page you wish. I just reserve the right to amend it if I learn more/learn something new. (Which happens almost every surgery!!)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:06 am

Thanks! Now I have to figure out if it should go on the postop page or the pain page.