Very soft stools in rescue pig

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:34 pm

Jonie came in to the rescue about a week and a half ago (Feb 1). She is a 5 year old that has been alone all of her life. When she arrived her front feet were caked with dried poop and her stools were soft but had some shape. If they were walked over/through they would smear on the fleece, that's how soft it was.

I thought that a good diet would improve it but now, almost 2 weeks later, it is getting worse. This afternoon it has turned to runny. Not liquidy, more like pudding. Her appetite is good and she is active.

Of course we are seeing the vet in the morning. I am seeking experiences of others so I can go in with a bit of knowledge. 8 years of pigs and I've not dealt with it this bad before. Always room to learn.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:14 pm

I take it you've read over the diarrhea page for tips?

www.guinealynx.info/.html

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:25 am

Yes, Lynx. Thanks. I was hoping for personal experiences-what worked, what didn't. She's at the vet right now. I had to drop off.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:10 pm

Jonie is on Bactrim now, with a recheck in 1 week. She also has two ovarian cysts. :( At 5 years old I don't think surgery is an option, especially with this other health issue going on. Hello sanctuary pig #3.

We will try acupuncture for the cysts once her soft stool is under control (or maybe before). It will be discussed at her follow up.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:36 pm

If anyone figures out what to do about soft poops, I'd like to know. Lucy is still having problems with this and we've had 2 other pigs in the past with similar problems. But I suspect various things can cause it, so there probably isn't a one size fits all remedy.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:58 am

So far, after a week on Bactrim and Oxbow Digestive supplements, her poops have not been so puddly. They have shape again, sometimes mis-shapen but at least they are formed somewhat, and they don't smear as easily. I have not cut back on veggies either. She eats hay but is not a big pellet eater. I am going to give Critical Care to get her weight up but at follow up visit yesterday the vet said she can see improvement in overall body appearance. We will address cysts in another week or so.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:33 pm

Maybe a few days of flagyl? Shouldn't hurt, and might help.

lisam

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:22 pm

Yes, I always think of flagyl when a pig has soft poops/diarrhea.

As for the cysts, perhaps hormone injections.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:53 pm

I would have thought Flagyl first too. I will suggest it if this doesn't clear up at the end of Bactrim dose. She is doing better. I didn't go to her recheck the other day as I had surgery mysef that day. One of my fosters picked her up and took her for me.

So,only a few days of it?

I think we will discuss hormone injections for the cysts. As well as acupuncture.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:57 am

My $0.02: Flagyl and a probiotic.

**Please** tell Dr. A. that if she goes ahead and buys the hormone stuff she can use it on Willow (and possibly Heather) as well -- so she won't have to go to an expense "just" for Jonie.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:51 am

Also, wondering if it might be worth a shot to give Bio-Sponge a try? (in addition to Flagyl). I have an unopened tube of it that's going to expire next month, so I'll be ordering another one soon...happy to send this one your way. Just drop me an email.

Sending good thoughts your way.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:58 am

I wonder what part of it expires with the Bio-Sponge?