Very soft stools in rescue pig

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:35 am

I can't really imagine, unless maybe it gets a little gloppy?

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:32 pm

I'll have to ask about all of that next time I talk to her. The poops have gone back to softer again. I'll put a call in in the morning.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:02 am

Vet visit is over. We did acupuncture and are switching to Flagyl. I emailed you, sef.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:58 pm

Well I don't think the Flagyl is the answer. Her poop is now blobby and really soft. Not watery. Just big blobs now. Much messier than before. I also have bio sponge, thanks to sef.

Should I use bio sponge without Flagyl. I think I should discontinue the Flagyl given the change in poop. Or, do those who know, is this normal and will it resolve as it gets closer to end date of meds. I think I have 2.5 days left.

Also do I give probiotics with bio sponge?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:07 pm

Soft poop has cleared up immediately when mine have been put on Flagyl. I think I'd discontinue it too, given the worsening situation.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:00 pm

From what I understand, the key ingredient with the biosponge is the bentonite clay which super absorbs water and likely the toxins along with it (this is from memory - I may be a little off). I am pretty sure you could either use just the bio sponge or use them concurrently - whatever you think will work best.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:43 am

Has she looked at it under the microscope? Is there any smell?

Culture and sensitivity, maybe?

I'd discontinue the Flagyl also. My experience has been the same as bpatters'.

As I understand it probiotics are not necessary with BioSponge but they can't hurt. I'd give them to her along with it.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:20 am

Ditto Lynx & Talishan -- probiotics not needed with Bio-Sponge, but probably couldn't hurt to use in addition to.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:09 pm

I believe she has looked at it under microscope. I meant to talk to her today when I had Eliot in but we got distracted with El. She was a spunky little boo today.

Anyway, I stopped the Flagyl and poops are noticeable better today. Better than the large gloppy mess they were this past week anyway still not normal by any means. I will continue with Bio sponge and benebac.

Also she has a neighbor now and that makes her happy. Dr. A said a neighbor would be fine but she still didn't want any other pigs walking in her poop. Yes, it smells but not as bad as it used to.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:01 pm

So, we are still having issues with Jonie and her poop. Bactrim has not helped. Flagyl has not helped. Probiotics have not helped. BioSponge has not helped. In fact, even doing nothing doesn't help.

I heard an interesting thing about diatamacious earth and clearing up diarhea in dogs. Lightbulbs started going off in my head and I wonder if it's safe to give to guinea pigs. It comes in a powder form so I would probably just sprinkle a bit on her veggies.

Thoughts?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:50 pm

I actually don't like the idea of diatomacious earth. Microscopically, it is sharp particles. I am discouraged that BioSponge hasn't helped. Have you tried food elimination?

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:53 pm

I am cutting down on veggies but she really doesn't eat that much variety. She will only eat certain things. I'm also waiting for an order of 2nd cut hay to come in. It seems she had better poops when on that as opposed to bluegrass or 3rd cut. But I ran out.