Best ways to give Vitamin C supplements?

jacqueline

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:10 pm

So, I have several elderly pigs, some who are recovering from mites, etc. I have tried giving them chewable vitamin C tabs, just to boost their systems a little. Unfortunately only a few of them will take the tablet.

Any suggestions for any other way to give them extra C? Is there a liquid vitamin C that I can give?

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:17 pm

I give Tulip the Vitamin C tablet. I put it back in her mouth, hold her mouth until she starts chewing, and down the hatch. I so it similar like pilling a dog. :)

CICSTEVE

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:34 pm

I grind it up and add 1 teaspoon of water, let it mix well and put in a syringe. They love it this way.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:06 pm

I use a liquid and syringe it. Brand name is KAL. I get it at The Vitamin Shoppe

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:28 pm

I crush the tablet and sprinkle it on their greens. Usually, after about a week they're used to the taste and I can just give it to them. They think they are getting a treat!

jacqueline

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:00 am

Slave - all the liquid vitamin C I've found, including KAL contain other ingredients I'm not sure are good for piggies:

"Other Ingredients:
Sorbitol, syrup, acerola cherry extract, rose hip extract, natural guava liquid flavor, natural raspberry flavor, natural blueberry flavor."

. Right now my guys will take a crushed tab in a syringe. I'll try sprinkling ity on their greens to get them used to it though.

rkog

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:57 am

You can use something like this:
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod. ... ase_filler

If you are really ambitious, you can order vitamin c powder and glycerin (to dissolve) on Amazon (make sure they are food grade, not just cosmetic grade). You can flavor it with juice from a blender if you want. You can make it as "natural" as possible this way, and you can mix small enough quantities that you don't have to worry about it degrading.

I hesitate about sprinkling food with the powder just because I want to ensure each pig gets at least 25 mg. The recommended dose is 50, but they get veggies as well.

SwtMelly

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:10 am

I use RX Choice Vitamin C liquid which I buy online and is the same as my Exotics Vet gave me when I first got the pigs. He was kind enough to tell me the brand etc so I could go buy a big bottle rather than get it from him. The pigs love it, they grab the syringe out of eachother's mouths.

http://www.planetrx.com/p/hi-tech-pharm ... 81802.html

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:04 am

You could also go with a more 'natural' approach like herbal supplements:

http://www.fuzzieskingdom.com/herbs/tre ... abbit.html

I have used several of the products on that site.

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:28 am

I use oxbow tablets and this is what I do:

I recline the pig in my arms, hold the head with one hand so that I can see those big chompers. I place the pill into the side of the lips so that it slips behind the chompers. I then give it a little push with my finger so it goes to the back of the mouth (yes my finger is slightly in the mouth). I make sure this is all done by the side of the mouth so I don't get chomped on. I've never been bit this way. I've also never had one spit it out. Remember to do it fast though, no slow motion. ;)

All my pigs HATE Vit. C so when I've had to give it to them, its always by force.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:28 pm

Huh. I thought I looked on it when I got it and only saw the natural additives. My bottle cap broke and now I have it in a plain bottle. It was recommended on here a few years ago (I forget who used it) so I sought it out. I don't think it's hurt any of the pigs that received it. I don't use it on a normal basis, only for sick ones or ones that come in malnourished.

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:20 pm

Do you guys give vitamin C to all of your pigs or just when they are sick / aging? I have the Oxbow tablets but only tried putting them in their cage to eat and they ignored them. I haven't been too concerned about it because I try to make sure they get enough in their veggies but should I supplement too? I like the idea of crushing and using a syringe. Maybe I'll try that. A whole tablet per pig? Once a day?