Best ways to give Vitamin C supplements?

BostonPigLover

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:14 pm

My elder pig Abe likes the Oxbow vitamin C tablets. I simply break them in half and he willing takes them out of my hand and eats them.

jacqueline

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:18 pm

rkog - the labeling has three different kinds of sugar/sweeteners in it. It's probably ok, but I'm trying to avoid anything unnecessary. Just looking for plain old vitamin C.

The Planet RX site doesn't show the label - if you have a bottle, can you see what else is in it?

A few of my pigs will take the tab as a treat right out of my hand. The two newest adoptees - recovering from mites and ringworm - need it the most and won't eat the tabs. I've been crushing a tab and putting it in a tiny bit of water then syringe feeding that to them. They love it, but it is a little more work than just handing them a tablet. . .Just trying to minimize my work if possible.

Thanks for the replies - and if there are any more suggestions out there have at it!

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:31 am

I really think the key is finding a tablet they like, so they will take a chunk from your fingers and think it is an extra special num-num.