ongoing URI, A/B's not working??

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:33 pm

Simethicone should help. You've read the advice on the emergency page? www.guinealynx.info/.html#bloat

What kind of babyfood? I'd try pumpkin as it has more fiber. Easing up on vegetables would likely help.

grace505

Post   » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:43 pm

Lynx, i've read the emergency page (and the links) about a million times, i get so crazy worried! What i'm unclear on is gas sometimes just gas, or is gas bloat, or does gas turn into bloat at some point? Does bloat just happen when the food's not moving at all? He's pooping but it's all clumpy and yuck, but better than none!

I've read in some threads that the Sim. just turns the little bubbles into one big bubble that can be too big to toot out, but some people don't feel that way.

I was doing carrot baby food, but i do have a can of pure pumpkin (thank you Lynx website for that great advice!). This afternoon Turbo started drinking from the water bottle of his own accord and sat and drank and ate pellets back and forth for about a solid twenty minutes. He seems less bulky now and has been back to the water bottle, so i feel better about that.

I cut both of the boys' vegetables in half to encourage the hay eating, i just wasn't sure about cutting it entirely for Turbo in case he wouldn't eat anything else. How long should i wait for his diarrhea to clear before deciding to cut veggies totally? It's not runny, just clumpy, and i'm still making him do the Critical Care, which he's not very excited about.

He doesn't seem to be in pain, although he's not really excited about life right now either. He is moving around quite a bit when i put him on the floor and we're doing some dryer time because i don't have a vibrating pillow. If there's anything i'm not doing that i should, please let me know!

Thanks!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:50 am

It is hard to know how gas and bloat are related. I think when there is gas, one starts worrying about bloat and monitors more closely.

Corney

Post   » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:24 am

My pig 'Corney' has been ill with a URI for almost 5 weeks now and nothing seems to work. He has an xray and it appears he has a build up of scar tissue or 'gunk' in his lungs. We can see if there is fluid on the lungs however it definately sounds like there is. I feel so helpless. He is eating and rinking and still running around but lately he has appeared to become restless and a little more tired than usual. The vet has reccomended a nebulizer for him but has left it down to us to find one! I dont have a clue where to buy one of what kind... i live in northern ireland at the moment. If any one has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:53 am

Are you weighing him daily?

Check this links page Tracis assembled for more info on nebulizers:
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=58

Corney

Post   » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:03 am

Thanks.yeh we are weighing him .daily.hes actually gained weight.hes eats very well its just the breathing:-(

grace505

Post   » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:34 pm

So i FINALLY convinced my vet to let me try nebulizing Gentamicin for my boy Turbo!

We tried Chlorampenicol and Turbo had a very bad reaction to it, so we went back to a Bactrim/Doxy combo which we know he did well on, but doesn't cure him, and he's back up to his previous weight again.

Lana had put the Gentamicin dose at 40mg/ml but i've read on multiple threads here about 100mg/ml. That's quite a difference and i'd like to make sure which is the right dose for nebulizing.

How long should i consider nebulizing before i decide it's not going to work? The vet is really worried about how toxic the Gentamicin is and we had talked about a range from one to four weeks, but neither of us really knows how long we should go if the symptoms aren't going away right away.

Also, at some point should i add something oral in, like Doxy, or should i be doing that from the start? If doing a combo, what dose of each the Gentamicin and Doxy should i give?

This is unknown territory for both my vet and me, so we both appreciate all help!

grace505

Post   » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:29 pm

Just to double-check, the dose on the Gentamicin that i am understanding is correct would be the 40mg/ml strength, 1ml of Gentamicin combined with 3ml of saline. Run nebulizer, turning off and on after building up a good steam, making the treatment last 30 minutes, twice a day. Is all of that correct?

Also, i thought i had read about combining the Gentamicin with Doxy but am having trouble finding that material again. The Bactrim was also indicated on the lab report and i have that as well.

Turbo weighs about 1250 grams right now.

grace505

Post   » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:59 pm

I found the material discussing combining Doxy with Gentamicin, although it's for rats. Here is the link.

http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_ ... ycline.php

grace505

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:31 pm

Anyone?

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:10 am

Sorry to have missed this thread - been away a few days due to some hard deadlines at school.

How old is Turbo now? I ask because my little boy came to me at 5 or 6 weeks old with a persistent URI that lasted about 6 months. Then he seemed to grow out of it, seemingly independent of any treatment we had given him.

I was nebulizing him with gentamicin for awhile, and it did not go well. He started showing AB intolerance within 5 days, and had discolored urine. We still did a full 10 days of treatment, combined with ciprofloxacin (a Baytril relative), and did not have good results. His weight actually stalled out for about a month, and he got a bit boney, and ended up relapsing again afterward.

I was given gentamicin sulfate at 100 mg/ml, and instructed to nebulize half a ml with 4.5 ml sterile saline, which puts the dose at about 50mg/ml. I nebulized 2 pigs at once on this dose, twice a day.

I did not do the turn on/off thing with the nebulizer - that is supposed to keep too much of the drug from hitting the pigs at once - because I found it impractical with how busy I was. I hand-fed thin pellet mash afterward to get extra moisture into their systems, but a nice wet salad in the nebulizer will do the same thing, and keep the drug from being too hard on the kidneys. That is where the damage may be done.

ETA: this treatment did not seem to do any long-term damage that I am aware of, but I would be careful with gentamicin, especially in combo with other ABs.

grace505

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:38 am

Hi LS in AK, i've read over your thread before and i remember you, how are you and your piggies doing?

I am supposed to do the Gentamicin at 40mg/ml, 1 ml with 3 ml saline, thirty minutes, twice a day.

I have to talk to the vet about an A/B combo, but he's very worried about kidney damage, i really had to push for me even to try nebulizing with just the Gentamicin.

We're going to start tomorrow and i'll let you know how it goes. If this doesn't work i can maybe try an A/B combo with the Gent, but these are the last A/Bs listed as sensitive in his culture and we'd be stuck just doing pulse therapy with the Doxy/Bactrim combo he's doing now which keeps him well but doesn't cure him.

I guess that's better than nothing, though, and he's been doing really well eating, drinking, pooping, etc, so that's something to be very grateful for.

Thanks for your reply!